Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    newfydog
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post

Don't get me wrong, MOST of the time people are very nice.
    Amazingly nice, and it seems most people know to tell you if any more are coming. I have seen a few glazed over blank faces really hauling though,,,,I wonder if they were racing Strava. It seems that going for time downhill on a two way trail is not something you would not want to do much of.

My wife and I knew Steve Larsen. He was always passing us from behind (imagine that!) and always had time to slow down and chat before returning to his workout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    It seems that going for time downhill on a two way trail is not something you would not want to do much of.
    Agree'd... I try to pick times of day/week, where there is not many people on the trails, if I want to go fast.

Trails like Whoops and Upper Tiddlywinks are great though, being one way.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bombing down two way single track is a recipe for disaster especially on lower Phils where many kids are riding with their parents. But I see it on the upper trails too. I was climbing up to HP and some dude comes bombing down at mach speed and makes no attempt to slow. I know he saw me and had plenty of time to slow down but I had to move to avoid a collision.

it means 'no problem'
    ^ This is what I'm talking about. We've all seen it. I thought the original intent of Strava was to compare climbing times on set routes, such as Lava lake to the top junction.

Honestly this "type" of behavior (i.e. failure to even acknowledge others' presence on the trails) WILL lead to many more one-way trail designations whether anyone likes that or not. How many "bad" encounters have occurred on Whoops since the time that was designated one-way?
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

newfydog
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    ^
    How many "bad" encounters have occurred on Whoops since the time that was designated one-way?
    Many. They just were encounters with a tree. The trees usually win.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Bombing down two way single track is a recipe for disaster especially on lower Phils where many kids are riding with their parents. But I see it on the upper trails too. I was climbing up to HP and some dude comes bombing down at mach speed and makes no attempt to slow. I know he saw me and had plenty of time to slow down but I had to move to avoid a collision.
    People are always going to want to go fast. Strava or not. I hear what you are saying, but no way to control it. Look, AND listen, especially coming up to a blind turn. One reason wearing ear phones on single track has never been a good idea IMO.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    ^ This is what I'm talking about. We've all seen it. I thought the original intent of Strava was to compare climbing times on set routes, such as Lava lake to the top junction.

Honestly this "type" of behavior (i.e. failure to even acknowledge others' presence on the trails) WILL lead to many more one-way trail designations whether anyone likes that or not. How many "bad" encounters have occurred on Whoops since the time that was designated one-way?
    I really don't think Strava has anything to do with people being jerks, or going fast. I know even when I am not recording my ride, I'm still trying to be a better rider, which entails pushing the limits a bit.

As the trails get more popular, maybe more one-way trails would be a good idea.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We have one way trails for going fast.

mtbr member
    We have one way trails for going fast.
    It's not the "fast" part. It's the disrespect of not slowing down(enough) and being rude. If people are going in two directions on a trail wide enough for one rider, someone HAD to yield no matter what the speed.

If you are respectful, I don't see how the speed matters.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Slow and inconsiderate shouldn't result in a collision.

I got nothin'

IIMBA Guidelines

Don't people remember the IMBA guideline of yielding to the uphill rider?

Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well I don't really go that fast but I do ride with ear buds, however I constantly scan ahead of me and don't get lost in the music. It does motivate me though. As I pass by folks I usually let them know I'm a solo and always yield to the uphill rider unless of course they stop first. A lot of this stuff is just common sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Originally Posted by sans soucie
    My only beef with this is the idea that you are in a "race" when you're using it, and your trail etiquette was left at the trail head.

Please keep in mind all trails are shared and to yield when you're supposed to. The world isn't your personal race course even if you happen to use Strava.

end rant.

+1 I've noticed a definite dearth of manners (and friendliness) riding at Phil's over the past year. A lot of the riders just seem put out, period. At first I thought it might be that the flatter terrain attracted all the dirt roadies but Strava makes more sense. Someone on the Washington forum coined the name "Stravasses" for some of these riders. You know, the ones who would mow down a gaggle of nuns and puppies to knock a second off their time. I will say that I've met some really nice people riding at Phil's but they've been the minority. Maybe I need to get out there mid-week.

end rant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warmonkey View Post

+1 I've noticed a definite dearth of manners (and friendliness) riding at Phil's over the past year. A lot of the riders just seem put out, period. At first I thought it might be that the flatter terrain attracted all the dirt roadies but Strava makes more sense. Someone on the Washington forum coined the name "Stravasses" for some of these riders. You know, the ones who would mow down a gaggle of nuns and puppies to knock a second off their time. I will say that I've met some really nice people riding at Phil's but they've been the minority. Maybe I need to get out there mid-week.

end rant.
    I think more than anything, is that there are more out of towners, and new riders, that need to learn the process in town, especially on the weekends. I don't think using an online GPS tracking program turns a perfectly nice person into a jerk.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think more than anything, is that there are more out of towners, and new riders, that need to learn the process in town, especially on the weekends. I don't think using an online GPS tracking program turns a perfectly nice person into a jerk.
    Agreed, but I believe that "smart" phones do turn people into something I do not appreciate at all. Be here now... BTW, there is a funny thread on Drunkcyclist concerning this very topic.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Agreed, but I believe that "smart" phones do turn people into something I do not appreciate at all. Be here now... BTW, there is a funny thread on Drunkcyclist concerning this very topic.
    here: STRAVA: System That Records All Vain Activity - Drunkcyclist.com
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    Don't people remember the IMBA guideline of yielding to the uphill rider?

Good question. Far too many downhill riders on the lowers trails don't yield.

mtbr member
    Part what comes with technology these days I guess... Watched a lady yesterday staring down, I would assume texting, drive all the way through an intersection without looking up, and BARELY miss the center divider. Part of life these days, but there is not much being done about it.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Good question. Far too many downhill riders on the lowers trails don't yield.
    I think there is confusion with it too. Look how both of you just worded what you said. Could imply that the uphill or downhill rider should yield. Could be confusing to some new riders. Just saying..... I think when I moved to Bend I second guessed it for a day or two.

Should word that the rider climbing has the right of way, or something.

And to add to this, some parts of the Bend trails are so flat, both people could feel they are in the right of way.

If both people would just say "Hi have a nice ride, thanks, sorry" or even just shoot a smile, I think most of the time all is just fine. It's just the stone face look the other way jerks making the sport look bad.

Going fast is part of the thrill of riding for many. Strava or not.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think there is confusion with it too. Look how both of you just worded what you said. Could imply that the uphill or downhill rider should yield. Could be confusing to some new riders. Just saying..... I think when I moved to Bend I second guessed it for a day or two.

Should word that the rider climbing has the right of way, or something.

And to add to this, some parts of the Bend trails are so flat, both people could feel they are in the right of way.

If both people would just say "Hi have a nice ride, thanks, sorry" or even just shoot a smile, I think most of the time all is just fine. It's just the stone face look the other way jerks making the sport look bad.

Going fast is part of the thrill of riding for many. Strava or not.
    exactly.... now. where are some of the best climbs in bend on strava? for mountain of course...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't see what is confusing about "uphill riders have the right of way" or "downhill riders must yield".

mtbr member
    I don't see what is confusing about "uphill riders have the right of way" or "downhill riders must yield".
    If you are climbing, your "position" is downhill. If descending, your position is "uphill". It's not worded to imply your position, or direction.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Plain old common sense should make it obvious that the person climbing has the right of way. Is it easier to get started from a dead stop if you are going up or down the hill.

The IMBA guideline is very clear.

Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hey so back on topic of using strava and the cool features, maybe some fun rides you guys have found on it eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    hey so back on topic of using strava and the cool features, maybe some fun rides you guys have found on it eh?
    What kind of ride are you looking for? I'll see if I can help.
    Bend, Oregon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast