mtbr member
    Nov 2009

How long is the mtb season in Portland?

I am considering a transfer from N.C where you can ride year round. What is the typical length of the season and how would you describe the trails?

Thanks,Eric

meatier showers
    There is no mtb season in Portland, but they're working on it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    MTB season can last as long as you want it too, but you'll be limited to the low elevation trails in the winter, and thier wet and muddy.

Typically I ride April through late October, then I pick up the skis.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    ecycles, just ignore the post from sparticus, he is just joking around.

Old House man is pretty much right, however there are trails around Portland (hour drive or less) that have pretty good drainage and are easily ridden in the winter without being to muddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    There is no mtb season in Portland, but they're working on it.

--Sparty
    These words need to be the title of a new thread...and it NEEDS to be a sticky.

Sorry y'all...it's the truth.

mtbr member
    There are two MTBing seasons in Portland.......

wait for it.......

wait for it.......

Wet and August
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It depends

You could go up in the West Hills right now and ride. You would come home covered in muck if you want. If you can live with that go ride. Very little snow here so the season really never ends. I just find rain and 40 a bit miserable. You may not.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Darn, I am glad I live in SW Washington. Just 31 miles from PDX, but, we ride year round. (some might say we are nuts)

Caveat....Last years freaky snow storm.

No clever signature.

highly visible
    The only significant legal singletrack in Portland is about 3 miles' worth on Powell Butte, and its season is whenever the tread is dry (basically from sometime in the Spring until October). There is also a short (1/4 mile) stretch of legal singletrack in Forest Park, which is open year round.

Other than that, Sparty's right that there is no mountain biking season in Portland -- if by mountain biking you mean singletrack.

But if you're open-minded enough to consider muddy, rutted, steep fireroads as some variant of "mountain biking", then the season is year round and we've got 27 miles of it in Forest Park. Ride there at night with good lights, prepared to come home muddy, and it's a blast. Sandy River Delta is another nice stash that can be reached from the city.

But in Portland, "mountain biking" generally means throwing the bike in the car and driving to singletrack somewhere else. A lot of excellent trail systems nearby (within a 90 minute drive) are legal year-round, relatively low in elevation, and free of snow most of the year. A lot of the best stuff is up in the mountains and inaccessible from November until May or June, but there are plenty of year-round trails around to keep anyone occupied.

As far as describing the trails, again in the immediate locality it's extremely limited. The low elevation, year round trails are often tight and twisty with fairly moderate elevation changes. Sometimes rocky, sometimes not, but usually VERY rooty and often also loggy because of the dense forest. And in the winter, very muddy. A lot of these trails are highly suitable to singlespeed riding, especially in winter, because of the moderate elevation changes, the moderate speeds, and of course the mud.

The higher elevation trails vary more because they hit a wider variety of mountainous terrain, and it's pretty much anything you want: smooth tread or technical and rocky, your choice. Dense forest or sweeping vistas, your choice. Moderate elevation changes, lots of rollers, or big up-and-down, your choice. In the summer, there is a huge variety of terrain within a 2 hour drive, and within a 4 hour drive is pretty much kind of trail that any cyclist on earth could ever want.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 11-18-2009 at 01:57 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Seems like I just heard that the city is going to try something new at Powell Butte, as far as trail closer goes. I think there will be signs posted stating the trails are closed when wet rather than just closing them for the winter, but winter usually means wet in Oregon. Not sure when this will come into affect, or, if I even have the story straight.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    North Carolina is a far better place for mtb.

Known Mountainbiker
    So in conclusion, Portland's mtb season is 1/4 to 3 miles long.

btodd: yeah, NC has better mtbing than Portland...but is NC mtbing better than Oregon's?

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    You can ride pretty much year round if you're willing to drive east out the Gorge. The Deschutes River State Park, http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_37.php , is far enough east that it almost never gets rain & is a fun ride (especially if you can't comprehend what the little signs with the little pictures of bikes with the circle/slash graphics mean).

We also have WAY better beer in the Gorge & PDX than NC. No brag, just fact.

Via con tierra.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon
    No brag, just fact.

Via con tierra.

I used to love Branded on TV!!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Obviously Single

Which Trails?

Quote Originally Posted by ecyles
    I am considering a transfer from N.C where you can ride year round. What is the typical length of the season and how would you describe the trails?

Thanks,Eric
    As Sparty put it, there isn't much riding *in* portland. In the winter there is none (Powell gets muddy).

There are places to ride year around outside of portland, but you're talking 45 to 90 minutes (or more) to get to the good ones.

I used to live in NC. The good news: less summer-type bugs here. The bad news: slugs in the winter (do not go outside in your socks!).
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire