Daddy Dragon

How does this sound?

I'm looking for a quick shuttle before going on a hunt for the world's most bad-ass pumpkin which is sure to reside somewhere in Hood River. The wife will be dropping and picking me up. I'm thinking about going from Surveyor's Ridge down Dog River. My gut tells me this will be awesome but I can't find any information on the w's confirming this. Having only ridden Dog River I know my plan is, at least, half-rad. What about Surveyor's Ridge? Is it worth going one-way and linking up with Dog River? Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

mtbr member
    Surveyor's is great and has some amazing views. The trailhead at Dog River is the upper trailhead which is fine if you are looking for a point to point shuttle as opposed to an all downhill shuttle.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Daddy Dragon
    So if I ride from the northern trailhead I'll be riding up most of the way? That seems okay as the elevation profiles I've seen make it appear as if the terrain is really rolling. Maybe it will make me feel like I've earned the Dog River run.

mtbr member
    That is correct. It is rolling and a lot of the climbing is a gentle grade. It's a nice ride as long as you are not expecting all downhill.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    While there are several loops one could put together before dropping down dog river, Surveyor's Ridge is a must ride if you haven't ridden it yet. The climbing is minimal, the riding is fun, and the views of hood are the best I know of. However, there is one problem with your plan, I already have the worlds raddest pumpkin...sorry bra

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I personally like starting at high Prairie, heading down 8 mile, across the road to Knebal Springs, head uphill, when trail drops onto a logging road, head left and stay on the logging road to the bottom and a gate, turn left after the gate and head to FR17, go right on FR17 around the hill on your left side, turn left on the firts gravel road, continue til Surveyors crosses it, go left on Surveyors back to the trailhead and then go down Dog River. Works out to be about 19 miles and 5200ft of elevatoin loss (mixed with 1600ft of climbing).

Daddy Dragon
    I didn't actually get to do this ride. Ended up riding the Hood River Super D course. However, tomorrow I'll be doing the whole thing sans shuttle. We'll be parking at the ranger station then riding up Hess Rd to the northern Surveyor's trail head. We'll ride up Surveyor's Ridge and then down Dog River and back along the highway. Maybe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripdogg1 View Post
    I didn't actually get to do this ride. Ended up riding the Hood River Super D course. However, tomorrow I'll be doing the whole thing sans shuttle. We'll be parking at the ranger station then riding up Hess Rd to the northern Surveyor's trail head. We'll ride up Surveyor's Ridge and then down Dog River and back along the highway. Maybe.
    This does not sound fun. If you are set on riding Surveyors, I would suggest parking at the lower Dog River TH and ride up Dog River, then ride an out and back on Surveyors as far as you like, then back down Dog River. Dog River, IMO, is one of the best climbs and an excellent descent, but niether of these are worth the drive to do as a single ride.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daddy Dragon
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    This does not sound fun.
    This was awesome, actually. Kind of a hellride. We started out hiking up 1850 ft from Hwy 35 to the northern Surveyor's Ridge TH under the power lines. Then, rode that to Dog River and down then back down 35. 25 miles, all told. Next time we'll probably ride up Dog River to Surveyor's Ridge then down Oakridge. Still, it was fun to put in the work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sounds fun to me. Surveyor's really never feels like it gets going downhill when you ride north. If you want decent miles, a good workout wi/out crazy climbs, and a fun downhill, do your ride as you have it in mind.