mtbr member

How does the Middle Fork of Willamette trail compart to MRT?

Have not done the Middle Fork trail and just wondering how it compares to the MRT? More or less techincal? I assume it doesn't get as much traffic, it is pretty clear or does it get grown up? Any posion oak along it? Thanks.

mtbr member

imho

hey dude, IMHO these trails are very similar insome ways and quite the oppisite in others. For instance both are beautiful river trails that both are nearly 30 mi. and they climb about the same, more so towards the top and you can access them in many places along the trail.But on the other handthe MRT gets about ten times the use that the MFT does and you can tell,w/ the top as an exception the MRT is much cleaner,smoother, wider,the top bboasts some very tricky stuff(lava).The MFT is brushier for the most part and a little more technical at the lower end and on weekends this trail can be ridin w/out seeing more than a couple of people,where I would recommend never to ride MRT on the weekend because you probably will see at least 20 or so people at least and some aren't so nice.Both are very fun at the right time,hope this helps ...............the GOOCH
    [SIZE=4]I'd rather be mountainbiking. [/SIZE]

meatier showers

Personally, I prefer both

Quote Originally Posted by henryl
    Have not done the Middle Fork trail and just wondering how it compares to the MRT? More or less techincal? I assume it doesn't get as much traffic, it is pretty clear or does it get grown up? Any posion oak along it? Thanks.
    Don't ride either, ride both. Then decide for yourself. Personally, I can't imagine doing without either one.

The Disciples of Dirt just completed a trail work weekend in the Oakridge Zone (April 29/30, 2006). Several of us worked on the Middle Fork Trail on Saturday. We brushed back spring growth on the Butcherknife section from Butcherknife bridge up to the next road crossing. It is BUFF. We found some p. oak in a couple sunny sections but there wasn't much and what little was there wasn't bad. We cut out all that was attempting to reach into the trail (none actually was, but with another months' growth passing shins would have brushed up against some).

MRT and MFT are hardly comparable. To do so would leave the impression that one is better than the other. What a shame this would be!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    May 2005

Middle Fork

They are both awesome
    I would do them both.
    Amount of people is the major difference.
    Rode 22 miles of it Friday(sunny 75 degree's) and didn't see one other rider.

Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Don't ride either, ride both. Then decide for yourself. Personally, I can't imagine doing without either one.

The Disciples of Dirt just completed a trail work weekend in the Oakridge Zone (April 29/30, 2006). Several of us worked on the Middle Fork Trail on Saturday. We brushed back spring growth on the Butcherknife section from Butcherknife bridge up to the next road crossing. It is BUFF. We found some p. oak in a couple sunny sections but there wasn't much and what little was there wasn't bad. We cut out all that was attempting to reach into the trail (none actually was, but with another months' growth passing shins would have brushed up against some).

MRT and MFT are hardly comparable. To do so would leave the impression that one is better than the other. What a shame this would be!

--Sparty
    I agree completly, well almost, well okay completly.

Both are awesome, both are epic, both are great singletrack trails.

The one difference I can comment on is the # of people as others have stated, I have run into 50+ on MRT more than once, and about 5-10 on MFT and most them always offer up a cold one for the ride home They are usually campers or fisherman enjoying the day.

Ride them both, though you can't get to the top of either at the moment.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins