mtbr member

How Corvallis' trails looking?

I'm headed to Corvallis next week for ski/bike vacation (from Nevada). Are the trails rideable? Which ones are recommended?

Thanks...Dan

Live 2 Ride
    I don't think many of the trails open until April 15th.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    I assume you're going to Corvallis for family or something since the nearest skiing is over an hour away, so I'll also assume that means you're willing to drive...

(From closest to furthest)

MacDonald forest is mostly OK, a bit sloppy in the usual places though. There's tons of gravel roads and a few graveled trails that are fine year round no matter how much it rains.

Mary's Peak is closed till April 15th

Blackrock is open but use your best judgement as to whether you want to ride there in the wet.

Dallas is in pretty good shape, I rode there last weekend, typical spring conditions.

Shelberg Falls is open but a bit sloppy

Oakridge is variable depending on weather, there is no significant snow on the lower trails right now but a cold rainy night can change that quickly.

mtbr member
    Thanks Brandon,

Yes I'm headed up there to hang out with my son who is going to OSU. I plan to spend a few days in Corvallis, then head over to Mt Bachelor for the remainder of the week. I've only ridden in Corvallis once so I'm not familiar with the territory other than the MacDonald Forest. I'd like to try Dan's trail or some of the ones you mentioned.

If it's too early, I just won't bring my bike.

Dan

Live 2 Ride
    According to my OSU McDonald Forest brochure Lower Dan's trial will not be open until April 15th but upper Dan's trail is open year round.

mtbr member
    Thanks Kona...

Are you in Corvallis? Have you ridden it recently? The forecast calls for wet conditions the whole time I'm there. Is it rideable in wet conditions? Sorry for all the questions....I'm trying to decide whether to bring my bike or not.

Thanks....Dan

ride the moment
    Lower Dan's is closed and populated with hikers. However, upper Dan's is open year round as is Horse trail. The other "off the map" trails are up to your discretion... it really just depends on the recent weather (and knowing where they are ). I'd offer to take you out but I broke my hand two weeks ago. You can enter to forest from Jackson Creek Rd to bypass lower Dan's if you come in on that side. From Jackson Creek I would climb horse and descend Dan's. Those two can be ridden in any weather. Other than that the fire roads are always fine and you could ride as far as you want to ride on them and get a good amount of climbing in.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Live 2 Ride
    Sorry cdadaa - I'm over here in Albany and haven't had the chance to get over to Corvallis for any riding. I would be more than happy to go riding with you if you desire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Don't know which days you're going to be out here but there is definitely riding that can be done. Trails are likely a little muddy but a few days of sunshine is a pretty good cure and they aren't too bad right now. Lots of sunshine expected this week.... Here is a basic map that is posted at some trailheads http://www.cof.orst.edu/cf/recreation/south_mc_map.php

There are a lot of other trails that aren't maintained that are hard to find and technically out of bounds but fun and used by many... best to ride with someone familiar with the area.
    NW MTB Addict

mtbr member
    I plan to be there Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday and plan to bring my bike regardless. I don't mind the cold and some mud...I'll pass on "hours of mud" though!

Thanks all for the info.

mtbr member
    I hiked the "horse" trail at mac forest the other day with my dog and the trails seemed to be fairly dry. I didn't get a chance to ride though. Last saturday I was at Black Rock though and it was in really good condition. I'm not sure what kind of riding you are looking to do, but the green trail (think resort ratings), called Bonzai, was in excellent shape. It's a decent gravel road climb to the top with a nice trail ride down. They have been adding new berms and stuff to keep the flow really good. If you would like to ride black rock I'd be more then happy to show you around. I mainly ride bonzai at a medium pace. I've seen everyone from lycra plaid xc riders to full faced DH riders go down the trail and come out with a smile on their face.

Mcdonald Forest is great fun, but you have to be careful about hikers on the "official" trails. There are also horses, dogs, squirrels, ect. on these trails. They always seem to be hiding around the blind corners too for some reason...

Enjoy!
    It's a good time for good times

Making fat cool since '71
    mmmmm.....BlackRock on a weekday when it's been dry for a week? That is where it's at.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    mmmmm.....BlackRock on a weekday when it's been dry for a week? That is where it's at.

Brock...
    Until you hit your head.

mtbr member
    Cool...Blackrock it is! Now, where is Blackrock??

Making fat cool since '71
    Just outside Falls City which is near Dallas. Go to brmba.org and you can get all the news that's fit to print on BR. You mentioned Sun, Mon, Tues...which day for BR?

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.