mtbr member

Hotels Conundrum in Bend

I've done a few searches on this forum and other websites for opinions. Based on room availability, etc., I've narrowed the search to either the Riverhouse or Red Lion in Bend. It seems like the Riverhouse has a great location but is dated, while the Red Lion has good internet and breakfast but not as good of location. My wife and I will be in Bend for about 5 days in July to visit friends. We're bringing our MTBs and plan on riding each day. We'll be able to drive to trails. Any ideas? We're leaning towards the Red Lion because it will be $100 cheaper for our stay plus we get a free night at another Red Lion. Thanks for the advice!

-Pete

Nat
    Solo contendre
    The Riverhouse is in a much nicer location and their restaurant served the most incredible steak I've ever eaten. They also have a pool.

The Red Lion is fine I'm sure, but it's on very uninteresting Third St.

Do you want ambience and amenities or just a place to lay your heads down?

I haven't compared rates but how about the Doubletree by Hilton? My wife and I stayed there for a few days before we moved to Bend (it was The Phoenix hotel back then). It's right above the downtown area and you'd be able to walk to all the shops and restaurants.

mtbr member
    We stayed at the Pine Ridge Inn on our last trip. Very nice. Not cheap. Biking distance to the Cog Wild shuttle office. Our next trip I'd probably choose somewhere downtown for easier access to dinner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I always stay at the Oxford. Good place, centrally located. They have a room where you can store your bikes and have cruisers you can use to bike around town. That or rent a house from Lava Belles. lavabelles vacation rentals bend oregon

mtbr member
    I've stayed at the Riverhouse a couple times (last weekend, in fact). It is clean but definitely dated and I think overpriced for what it is. If you're going to Bend for outdoorsy stuff and/or to do the Ale Trail I wouldn't be too concerned with proximity to restaurants and bars or breweries. Bend is small and cabs are dirt cheap.

Disclaimer: I go to Bend for biking and beer, and if I get a room I only need a place to sleep, shower, and park the bike. I couldn't care less about a pool or restaurant in the hotel.

mtbr member

Re: Hotels Conundrum in Bend

The RiverHouse isn't "dated", its Retro!

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Have you considered a vacation rental ie. vrbo or airbnb? We just stayed in a great vrbo place in Bend. I can't even do hotels anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Based on what you would spend at the Riverhouse I think you would be better off looking for something on VRBO. If you want cheap I would recommend Three Sisters Inn, although it is on the same main drag that the Red Lion is.

EMBA Member
    I stayed in the Old St Francis for a couple nights just after Memorial Day. Bed was very comfortable and you can bring your bike into the room. They have wifi but no computer available to use. I walked a block to the public library the one time I needed computer access to the internet, and got what I needed there for free. Several breweries are within short walking distance, with a couple more a moderate walking distance away. Lots of restaurants to choose from. If you stay at this hotel, you can watch movies in their theatre for free. I watched Lone Survivor one night. They serve beer in the theatre, which is a big plus, and also serve food. I think the place has less than 20 rooms total. They also have a soak pool of some sort you can use - I didn't ever check that out. The staff are friendly. I have no affiliation with the place, just giving my impression, which was favorable. It is a little funky, which I like. Not your typical hotel experience.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    The soaking pool at McMenamins is awesome. There's very cool art and an open skylight so if it's raining it will rain into the pool. Several years ago someone hucked a small explosive device into the pool through the roof though. Fortunately no one got hurt.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The soaking pool at McMenamins is awesome. There's very cool art and an open skylight so if it's raining it will rain into the pool. Several years ago someone hucked a small explosive device into the pool through the roof though. Fortunately no one got hurt.
    This is my suggestion, right here ^^^ I love that place

mtbr member
    Thanks for everyone's advice! We had a blast in Bend. We ended up staying at the Red Lion. Staff was very friendly and even hooked up a hose so we could rinse off our bikes. Their breakfast also more robust than standard "free" hotel breakfasts. The only downside is how hot it got later in the day (we did all of our rides in the AM).

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    This is my suggestion, right here ^^^ I love that place
    I've always wanted to stay overnight there but just haven't gotten around to it. It looks like so much fun.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I've always wanted to stay overnight there but just haven't gotten around to it. It looks like so much fun.
    I do whenever my brother visits town, even though I live in Bend.

Free use of the soaking pool, free movies, great bonfire out back. And if we drink too much, there is no need to drive