Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MattSavage

Hospital Hill/Syncline tomorrow...?

Gonna do a big loop out there, anyone interested? Hospital Hill to Coyote Canyon, up the jeep trail and back around... 20-25 miles maybe? I know it's Friday, just call in sick... I have room for 1. Or I could just meet someone up there.

Ambitous, but doable. I'm not in the best climbing shape right now, but I'll suffer through. Cyclocross season ate up my trail riding time, now I'm jonesing to get some before the next round of weather.

"I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Man, I would of hit that with you but have to go back to work tomorrow after being off all week and riding almost everyday. Winds are a bit strong in the Gorge right now, but trails should be perfect! That's a good ride you got there and will beat your butt back into trail shape. I've done that fig-8 loop a few times and it always blissfully kicks me in the backside in a good way!
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Sounds great. This should be a great ride tomorrow. It may be the last great day before the winter weather finally sets in; however, the freeze/thaw cycles is going to make the trails cat crappy. Nonetheless, I may head up there tomorrow with my Golden...

Jon. what up?
    Last edited by Jaybo; 01-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Jon. what up?
    \

Not much, just been riding a lot lately. Took some extra time off this week due to Mom passed away last weekend. Kicking myself for not taking Friday off as well.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    \

Not much, just been riding a lot lately. Took some extra time off this week due to Mom passed away last weekend. Kicking myself for not taking Friday off as well.
    Up for a ride on Saturday? Supposed to be dry Saturday.

Hang in there.

MattSavage
    Well, I throw the offer out there, and then I don't check it all night...

Sorry to hear about that Jon, maybe you should take another day off... I'm sure they'd understand.

Jaybo, maybe I'll bump into you up there. I'm leaving portland around 8:30-9

MattSavage
    That's a fricking burley loop...

I think that area is done for awhile. The ground started to thaw and got wicked muddy. Shouldn't have been on it at the top of HH. Never been up there before, but now I know. It's too nice an area to dirty up with those conditions.

mtbr member
    Its been great in the evenings all week when the ground firms up again. I really wanted to join you for this loop as I have only done in as two separate rides and never together, but I thought it would be a bit greasy (not to mention that yesterday was the warmest day over the past three).

Do you know the total amount of climbing that you had? 3500' ish ?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    Its been great in the evenings all week when the ground firms up again. I really wanted to join you for this loop as I have only done in as two separate rides and never together, but I thought it would be a bit greasy (not to mention that yesterday was the warmest day over the past three).

Do you know the total amount of climbing that you had? 3500' ish ?
    Yeah, about 3000'. The full figure 8 is around 4500'. I didn't do the whole thing. Syncline climbing was too muddy. I tried to climb Courtney but I wound up having a bent hanger. Motored back along the highway, which wasn't much better, lots of evening traffic.

Next time I'll knock it out, but I'll make sure it's dry first.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Super greasy today! I would avoid it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Yeah, about 3000'. The full figure 8 is around 4500'. I didn't do the whole thing. Syncline climbing was too muddy. I tried to climb Courtney but I wound up having a bent hanger. Motored back along the highway, which wasn't much better, lots of evening traffic.

Next time I'll knock it out, but I'll make sure it's dry first.
    Glad you got out there Matt, too bad to hear about the conditions. I thought it would of been good on Friday, especially since I was up there the Sunday before and all the trails were running well with exception of only one brief section at top of saddle.

I drove up there today, since I didn't beat the rain this morning. Total sunshine when I arrived. Grinded up Courtney, sun quickly turned to clouds, rain/wind/showers to snowing at top of Coyote. Thought Coyote would be fine, but only the bit of trail sections under the woods with pine needles were fine, about 75% wasn't, especially the lower you went.

Going to have to stay off of Syncline for awhile or until everything freezes again. Made up for the mucky ride with a great mudless, trail ride on my way back home in the Gorge just before dark, so ended up with a good ride afterall .
    Ride On!

MattSavage
    Glad you got out there Matt, too bad to hear about the conditions. I thought it would of been good on Friday, especially since I was up there the Sunday before and all the trails were running well with exception of only one brief section at top of saddle.

I drove up there today, since I didn't beat the rain this morning. Total sunshine when I arrived. Grinded up Courtney, sun quickly turned to clouds, rain/wind/showers to snowing at top of Coyote. Thought Coyote would be fine, but only the bit of trail sections under the woods with pine needles were fine, about 75% wasn't, especially the lower you went.

Going to have to stay off of Syncline for awhile or until everything freezes again. Made up for the mucky ride with a great mudless, trail ride on my way back home in the Gorge just before dark, so ended up with a good ride afterall .
    What did you ride in the gorge, Tr 400 or the new Cascade Locks loop?

mtbr member
    What did you ride in the gorge, Tr 400 or the new Cascade Locks loop?
    Where is the new Cascade Locks loop???

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    Where is the new Cascade Locks loop???

Not exactly sure where the TH is, but here are some links...

http://www.portofcascadelocks.org/documents/traill.pdf
    CLIMB | Port of Cascade Locks
    Cascade Locks easyCLIMB Trail Park | Northwest Trail Alliance
    Dimwits Withbritelights | Facebook

mtbr member
    Looks like quite a neat project! Can't wait till completion!

Singletrack Addict
    . . . Cyclocross season ate up my trail riding time, now I'm jonesing to get some before the next round of weather. . . .
    Is why I never got into Cyclocross. Seems like a great time: camaraderie, fellowship; I love a good party, but are you kidding me? The CX season starts just as the good stuff is getting really good for epic trail riding.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post
    Is why I never got into Cyclocross. Seems like a great time: camaraderie, fellowship; I love a good party, but are you kidding me? The CX season starts just as the good stuff is getting really good for epic trail riding.
    Yeah, I know... I didn't consider that until I had committed to it last year. But, now I'm hooked, and I'm good at it. I'm gonna do it again next year. It's about the most fun a fella can have in a skinsuit. Although I might rock one at the spring brake super d...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Typically Cyclocross races are in the morning on Saturday morning. You have the afternoon and the rest of the week to ride. Balance is the key. I'm not a cyclocross guy but folks say it is a blast.

FKA Malibu412
    ...now I'm hooked, and I'm good at it. I'm gonna do it again next year.
    Serious? I don't know, I've seen you race.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    My sediments exactly. The only thing I look forward to CX season is that most of the "roadies" clear the hill that time of year, during my favorite riding season around here (Fall) and I get to ride the trails how I wish.
    Ride On!

FKA Malibu412
    My sediments exactly. The only thing I look forward to CX season is that most of the "roadies" clear the hill that time of year, during my favorite riding season around here (Fall) and I get to ride the trails how I wish.
    +rep coming when my 24 hour restriction is up. My racing buds wondered why I didn't do any of the cx races the last couple of seasons and it pretty much boils down to I only have so many hours a week to be on a bike. I choose to spend them on a trail during the finest ride season, not avoiding tangling with someone's bar or slogging up some incline with my bike on my shoulder. Still might be fun...I just haven't found out yet.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

MattSavage
    The only thing I look forward to CX season is that most of the "roadies" clear the hill that time of year,
    If it's got two wheels and pedals, I'll race it! Just don't call me a roadie...!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Typically Cyclocross races are in the morning on Saturday morning. You have the afternoon and the rest of the week to ride. Balance is the key. I'm not a cyclocross guy but folks say it is a blast.
    Thanks Yoda, I needed that fresh perspective of mighty intellect. I am going to find a balance beam as we speak so I can feel more balanced!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Just don't call me a roadie...!
    I don't blame ya, I wouldn't want to be called a roadie as well, almost like being called a knobby or something obsurd like that. I think I would rather be called a "roadie" than a "Barnie" though, which may be confused for "Barnum/Baily's 3 Ring Circus" or something cyclecross-like, which I think would be horrifying!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So true. I've done a few, but just can't get excited for it when mtb is soo good. I know they want to match the national scene, but I really wish the race seasons were altered. Cross should run Jan to April, road April to Aug., and MTB June to October. Id be way more interested in using cross to jump start the mtb season!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast