Thread: Horseridge

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Horseridge

What happened to Horseridge? It looks like someone took out all the rocks at the top of sand canyon?? Why would someone do this, the entire place is a big rock garden.....that is the appeal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Word on the street is that Phil was up there doing trail work last week. I haven't seen it, but I heard it was pretty dumbed down.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    So lame!

If your trying to make the trail safer, build some berms or speed control features, or something, for fawks sake!

Oh wait, he's just trying to make it EASIER! So so lame.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    If you are unhappy with what is taking place at Horse Ridge please write Phil and COTA an email at: phildirt@bendcable.com and express your concerns.

What is happening is unfortunate and in my opinion not trail maintenance, to me reworking a trail to ones own desires while ignoring the history and natural conditions of the area goes against the principles of mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Don,
    When was the last time you were up there? I thought I saw you rode there recently. ( I won't mention STRAVA here). Was it changed? We still need to grab that beer.

mtbr member
    I noticed someone removing rocks at Maston a few weeks ago and all I can wonder is why????? Why take out rocks, ruin the technicality of any trail. There are plenty of smooth road rides, endless miles of gravel roads but only a finite amount of mountain bike singletrack..... especially in the winter!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Insanely lame. Go ride horse butte or matson if you want smooth trail. We are talking about mountain biking right? Can we please just leave the few trails that aren't fun on a cross bike how they are. This is in no way maintenance, it is someone being an a-hole

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by eastongeneral View Post
    Insanely lame. Go ride horse butte or matson if you want smooth trail. We are talking about mountain biking right? Can we please just leave the few trails that aren't fun on a cross bike how they are. This is in no way maintenance, it is someone being an a-hole
    Do any of you do trail work? Before bashing Phil... Someone who by the way is a legend in this area and mountain biking/trail building as a whole... Why not reach out to him politely to find out what he is doing? This is the man who maintains and build tons of trails in this area. Also, a super nice guy.

Now doubt, I will now get some nasty responses. Happy riding!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Do any of you do trail work? Before bashing Phil... Someone who by the way is a legend in this area and mountain biking/trail building as a whole... Why not reach out to him politely to find out what he is doing? This is the man who maintains and build tons of trails in this area. Also, a super nice guy.

Now doubt, I will now get some nasty responses. Happy riding!!

Every time there is a thread about how much it sucks when someone goes out and take it upon themselves to sterilize a trail, there is the same ridiculous argument that somehow the more single track you neuter, the more right you have to neuter more single track. The whole appeal of Horse Ridge is it's technical aspect. Maintenance is one thing but destroying the little diversity in riding we have is a completely different thing. And yes, I do trailwork. I'm sure not nearly as much as you or Phil, but does that really justify anyone completely changing the character of a trail because they like it better that way. Especially considering the huuuuuuuge amount of sterile single track we have to suit your fancy.

Keep Singletrack Single

Horseridge

Did you reach out to Phil for his input?

Keep Singletrack Single

Horseridge

Quote Originally Posted by eastongeneral View Post
    Every time there is a thread about how much it sucks when someone goes out and take it upon themselves to sterilize a trail, there is the same ridiculous argument that somehow the more single track you neuter, the more right you have to neuter more single track. The whole appeal of Horse Ridge is it's technical aspect. Maintenance is one thing but destroying the little diversity in riding we have is a completely different thing. And yes, I do trailwork. I'm sure not nearly as much as you or Phil, but does that really justify anyone completely changing the character of a trail because they like it better that way. Especially considering the huuuuuuuge amount of sterile single track we have to suit your fancy.
    Additionally, did I say anything in my comments about it being okay to "neuter trail"? Nope. My point is instead of making assumptions in a forum, reach out to the trail builder to understand their objectives. You might be pleasantly surprised by the answer!!!

And what makes you think I don't like technical trail.... Assumptions.... Usually wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Two things are rather funny here. The fact that people think horse ridge is technical and the fact that they are so hypersensitive.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Horse ridge is a schizo place, with a weird mix of ultra smooth trails and patches of rocks. We need a rock loop up top, and a fast trail which misses the rocks. That would make various riders happy, and help take away temptation to ride at Phils when the mud is an issue. Get out there and build!

While we are ragging, has anyone seen the ******** on the fatbike who rode the entire lower trail in the soft sand five feet away from the main trail? We get it dude, your bike is good in sand, but running over the sagebrush next to an existing trail is lame. A few feet of packed trail won't kill your buzz.

(by the way, I rode a number of the OHV trails behind Horse Ridge on my fatbike last week---slow churned up sand but fun at 6 psi. I think the closure until August is just for motorized vehicles.....anyone know for sure?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    HA, saw that "dude" riding the fatbike on Sunday....actually was a lady w/ a dog off leash. She rode out and back on the lower area.
    And seemed un aware of trail edicate also, as she rode downhill past us going up the 1st rocky pitch forcing us off the trail to yeild to HER.
    ha ha. oh the Fatties.

Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    Horse ridge is a schizo place, with a weird mix of ultra smooth trails and patches of rocks. We need a rock loop up top, and a fast trail which misses the rocks. That would make various riders happy, and help take away temptation to ride at Phils when the mud is an issue. Get out there and build!

While we are ragging, has anyone seen the ******** on the fatbike who rode the entire lower trail in the soft sand five feet away from the main trail? We get it dude, your bike is good in sand, but running over the sagebrush next to an existing trail is lame. A few feet of packed trail won't kill your buzz.

(by the way, I rode a number of the OHV trails behind Horse Ridge on my fatbike last week---slow churned up sand but fun at 6 psi. I think the closure until August is just for motorized vehicles.....anyone know for sure?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veeco View Post
    HA, saw that "dude" riding the fatbike on Sunday....actually was a lady w/ a dog off leash. She rode out and back on the lower area.
    And seemed un aware of trail edicate also, as she rode downhill past us going up the 1st rocky pitch forcing us off the trail to yeild to HER.
    ha ha. oh the Fatties.
    haha

fatty's on fatty's. I love it.

it means 'no problem'
    Please bear in mind there are no "official trails" on Horse Ridge as of yet. The BLM has been very patient with COTA in this area, and we are cooperating fully with the BLM. Of course input is welcome, but again the process takes a long time to establish legal trails. Enough ranting already.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey