mtbr member

Horse Ridge/Grey Butte Conditions

Anyone been on either of these trails as of late? Little precip out east might have made conditions good?

mtbr member
    I rode Smith Rocks/Burma Rd with Seedy weekend before last and it was great. It was also 17 degrees, so we didn't have to worry about the mud. Given the rain we've had and the warm temps in the forecast I'd stay away from Grey Butte right now. If you haven't experienced the mud out there its unlike anything else around here. It truly becomes unrideable.

Horse Ridge/Maston/Cline and Horse Butte areas should all be riding great right now and through the weekend. No snow.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash
    I rode Smith Rocks/Burma Rd with Seedy weekend before last and it was great. It was also 17 degrees, so we didn't have to worry about the mud. Given the rain we've had and the warm temps in the forecast I'd stay away from Grey Butte right now. If you haven't experienced the mud out there its unlike anything else around here. It truly becomes unrideable.

Horse Ridge/Maston/Cline and Horse Butte areas should all be riding great right now and through the weekend. No snow.

Don't be afraid of a litle mud. It's not like you really need your front wheel to roll. Riding the bike like a giant ski can be alot of fun!!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

highly visible
    I cannot imagine that Grey is doable right now. Best to wait until it either freezes up or dries out again.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Don't be afraid of a litle mud. It's not like you really need your front wheel to roll. Riding the bike like a giant ski can be alot of fun!!

But one should be afraid of Grey Butte mud. Like chunky greenish peanut butter that hardens like cement, very difficult to clean off and totally ruins brake pads (yes, disc too)

Crash is right, it needs to be cold or dry to ride Smith / Grey.

Now don't get all Sassy here.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey