mtbr member

Horse Ridge grazing

This just in....

Been a couple years by my memory since we've seen cows on Horse Ridge. Just a heads up...might consider your speed out there this spring, not sure you wanna meet up with a bovine at full speed.

Great info from the grazing allotment owner, especially on how to get around these guys should you find them near the trail....respect all your fellow trail users!

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Muleman wrote:
    Recently an article appeared in the Bulletin about the biking opportunities in the Horse Ridge area, particularly in the late winter/spring period. Although not well known, this area is part of the Horse Ridge/Millican Valley grazing allotements and the area featured in the Bulletin article will be grazed by about 500 cows beginning March 20th. The cattle will be held briefly in the gravel pit area just to the west of Horse Ridge trailhead off old Hwy 20, then released on the 20th or 21st to the adjacent grassy flats and lower slopes of Horse Ridge. No doubt trail users will encounter livestock on or adjacent to most of the bike trails within the recreation area. This presents no problem to the enjoyment of bikers as long as a few precautions are taken:

When livestock are encountered on the trail ahead bikers should dismount and slowly walk their bikes toward the animals until they move aside or move off to adjacent slopes. These cattle are not aggresive and should readily yield to humans. If biking in a group, the entire group should move together until past the cows.

Gates are vital to containing the livestock and bikers should be diligent in keeping all gates closed while cattle are in the grazing area. Cattle that escape from the fenced area frequently die of thirst since the only water is inside the fence.

I will be placing information signs at the trailheads and other access points in the next week or so to alert bikers now using the area.

I would be happy to provide more information to your group about this situation and grazing in general on the BLM and the National Forests. I can be reached at 54one 38eight 9936 or (cell#) 54one 63three 5731.

Al Boss, Range Manager for Bar DR Ranches, Hampton, Or, Stephen Roth, owner

Afric Pepperbird
    I've never had much respect for "Sagebrush Rebel" ranchers, but this outfit seems all right!

Kudos for reaching out to the biking community! I'll certainly respect their cattle if I see them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The cattle have turned the trails to dust. In some locations it is impossible to see anything resembling a mtb trail. It is a mess. It's so good to cooperate - share the trail! Let's bring in the ATVs too - share the trail! C'mon we can all get along.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ran this this afternoon with 5 of my kids. All the way up from the TH then down sand canyon. Dusty as expected. Some of the lower portions are in pretty bad shape on the east side and the lower section of sand canyon is tore up pretty bad. Only saw two cows and calves. I left the gate open so they could graze somewhere else. Just kidding.

Afric Pepperbird
    Anyone riding Horse Ridge this time of year needs their head examined!

(just slightly kidding)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree DF. We ran it ran it with our feet. Was brutal, like a pit bull on a poodle.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by CmbtDvr185 View Post
    I ran this this afternoon with 5 of my kids.
    How many kids do you have?

When I was a kid having three or more kids was common (one neighbor had 12 kids) but I hardly see that any more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh he he they aren't from my loins. I work at OYCP they are part of group that run with me. All high school age.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by CmbtDvr185 View Post
    Oh he he they aren't from my loins. I work at OYCP they are part of group that run with me. All high school age.
    Ha, I get it.