Thread: Horse Ridge

What day are we riding?

Horse Ridge

Just wondering if anyone has tried the trails on the BLM map (http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/prin...ilhead_map.pdf) other than the "normal" Horse Ridge trails. I didn't even know there was a trailhead on Rickard Road. Assuming many are more horse than MTB.

mtbr member
    I have been wondering the same thing. I was there over x-mas for a couple of rides and really didn't pay attention to the map at the trailhead till I was done with riding, and it looked like some much longer loops/combos were available. Any input would be nice.

I am a huge Horse Ridge fan for winter riding, sure is a nice change from the Up/Down Winter Syncline option that I am used to.

mtbr member
    Was out there yesterday. Traction is unreal right now!

I would have to say that the map is misleading, and hard to follow. I am still trying to put a good full loop together, and I think I have a plan to try tomorrow. Some of what is marked as a trail, I think is a plain dirt road. That said, cool stuff out there, and good pedaling practice through the rocks!

Good spin is the black pen line out, then turn around(purple line) and back track a bit, and then down the canyon. That canyon is steep and FAST if you like that sort of thing. That's about 12 miles I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Horse Ridge-horse_loop.jpg  

Last edited by thuren; 01-03-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    May 2006
    On the map above.......when you descent from the viewpoint on the section labeled "Most Difficult" the trail levels out and meets up with a sandy road. There is some some terrific narrow single track that continues across that sandy road. We rode that for a few miles out and back before we had to turn around due to reseding daylight. Does anyone know where this continues too?

Also the road back to the parking lot from the "Most Difficult" section is deep sand and not worth riding.

What day are we riding?
    Did a ride from the Rickard Road trailhead so that no one else will have to in the future. It was as bad as I thought it was going to be (sand, chewed up by horses - you get the idea). In fact, I rode a lot of the stuff on the map west of Skookey Flats road and it was pretty much all the same.

+1 on the comments trying to connect around from the south side of Horse Ridge to the main trailhead. The "trail" is a sandy thing that I used to have fun 4-wheeling on when I moved to town in 1993. While not "fun" per se, if you are going clock-wise the worst parts are down hill and rideable. I ended up getting some hiking in (forgot about the big hill climb) by riding it counter-clockwise.

mtbr member
    Horse ridge is a blast, if you can get in the groove through the rocks. Fun challenge. Was out there yesterday and it is in PERFECT condition. 44mph down through the canyon woooohooooo!!!!! The blast down the canyon is very worth the pedal up. Here was the out and back I made, which seems like the norm that most others do. It is easy to get turned around out there if you get disoriented.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 10 miles near Bend | Times and Records | Strava
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    44mph, seriously? damn, that's fast. I've never ridden out there. Usually never bother trying to mt bike in the winter, but this year there's no snow!! Might have to get out there and give it a shot.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Horse ridge is a blast, if you can get in the groove through the rocks. Fun challenge. Was out there yesterday and it is in PERFECT condition. 44mph down through the canyon woooohooooo!!!!! The blast down the canyon is very worth the pedal up. Here was the out and back I made, which seems like the norm that most others do. It is easy to get turned around out there if you get disoriented.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 10 miles near Bend | Times and Records | Strava
    So you must be one of those people I have dive off the trail for when I am climbing the canyon.

I actually prefer going down the middle trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    So you must be one of those people I have dive off the trail for when I am climbing the canyon.

I actually prefer going down the middle trail.
    Sand canyon is so steep and sandy I would loose a lung if I tried to climb that whole thing!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I finally made it out there for a ride yesterday. The map above is missing some very important trail sections inside the research area. I printed the PDF map from Horse Ridge and used that for navigation. It seemed to be very accurate and was very helpful to me.

It was a pretty darn good ride. I always figured it wasn't any good, because it seemed to be the place that was only ridden in off-season when people were desperate for ANYTHING to ride. That is still my opinion of Masten, after a trip out there. But Horse Ridge is much better and i'll be going back. Traction was great yesterday. Lots of opportunity for me to practice KEEP PEDALING when going uphill in rocky sections.

I elected not to go down the sand canyon trail because i like to stretch out my downhill to last a little longer. I'll have to try it sometime though. I did really like the route down that i took though. It lasted a long time and it was fun to fly over all those rocks that were much more challenging on the way up!

It was partly out/back but on the way back i did split off and take a different route for part of the ride back. That part was steeper and a lot of fun. I would not recommend going up it, but then again i'm kind of a wimp! I never go up phil's canyon to helipad, that **** is too steep! But some people are into that i guess.

Here's the route i took: Bike Ride Profile | 12 miles near Bend | Times and Records | Strava thuren, you smoked me bad! haha

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Supposed to be sunny and pushing 60 degrees this weekend! Did Horse Ridge get snowed on? Any idea if it'll be clear for saturday/sunday? Please update if anyone goes out there today or went yesterday.

mtbr member
    I'm out east I may do a road ride out that way today I'll update if I do!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone check this out within the last day? I have never been here and I am not sure how much snow would land in this area. If nobody reports I will probably make it a try today or tomorrow.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Probably snow out there. Less than in Bend. Should melt out today. Might be muddy.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anybody seen the trails since this week's snow? Thinking about heading out this afternoon but would be a bummer to drive out there if it's a mess.

Still plenty of snow around town, so i'm guessing it's not good out there. I'll probably go for a road ride unless i hear a positive report.

mtbr member
    I'm sure it's good out there. I rode out east a couple days ago, and all was clear. With no freeze last night, I would bet the trails are as close to perfect, as they are going to get.

Might head out this evening.

Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Oh, cool. Must not have snowed there in the first place then. Or at least not like it did here in town wednesday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    Oh, cool. Must not have snowed there in the first place then. Or at least not like it did here in town wednesday.
    Yeah anything east side over here, melted off by the end of the day.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    great dirt yesterday