mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Horse Butte, not ridge

Rode Cross bike out China hat to the Boyd cave road then single track back to trail head. Moderately perfect dirt. Damp but no mud or thaw goo. Will be good to go unless it rains.

EnjoyHorse Butte, not ridge-imag0519.jpg

Afric Pepperbird
    I started up Swamp Wells yesterday, but only made it to Bessie Butte. The trails was a bit soft in spots - not the kind of mud that sticks to your bike and weighs it down - but it was still quite soft in areas. And very rutted.

I headed back to the car, and went back out to Maston

mtbr member
    The trails out near Horse Butte are perfect, BUT... You need to stay to the east. Out in the open. If you go up swamp wells (all covered in trees) you will hit mud. Here is a map

Bike Ride Profile | Slow ride with friends and dogs. near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

this is the standard 10 mile loop. Shown here is cutting off the first section of muddy trail to the east of Horse Butte where I rode along the gravel road to get to the trail at the start.

Willem, as you can see here: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mar 13, 2013 near Bend | Times and Records | Strava
    even went beyond this loop. But out in the open plains, and not under the tree cover. I think he went all the way to the horse camp.

Great conditions out there!

Half the more recent photos here are from Horse Butte:

Instagram

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    The trails out near Horse Butte are perfect, BUT... You need to stay to the east. Out in the open. If you go up swamp wells (all covered in trees) you will hit mud. Here is a map

Bike Ride Profile | Slow ride with friends and dogs. near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

this is the standard 10 mile loop. Shown here is cutting off the first section of muddy trail to the east of Horse Butte where I rode along the gravel road to get to the trail at the start.

Willem, as you can see here: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mar 13, 2013 near Bend | Times and Records | Strava
    even went beyond this loop. But out in the open plains, and not under the tree cover. I think he went all the way to the horse camp.

Great conditions out there!

Half the more recent photos here are from Horse Butte:

Instagram
    Yesterday, after not getting far on Swamp Wells, I was thinking of doing the short loop as mapped in your first link; however, that would have bored me to death! Glad I decided to high tail it to Maston. Can't quite get enough of the new Rim Trail there!

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Yesterday, after not getting far on Swamp Wells, I was thinking of doing the short loop as mapped in your first link; however, that would have bored me to death! Glad I decided to high tail it to Maston. Can't quite get enough of the new Rim Trail there!
    You are missing out. Arnold Ice Cave Trail is riding nicely. Mature trail with better traction and firmness than the new stuff at Maston. Maston needs some seasoning. Rain and a winter will firm up the new stuff. Plus, Horse Butte is closer to Bend.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    You are missing out. Arnold Ice Cave Trail is riding nicely. Mature trail with better traction and firmness than the new stuff at Maston. Maston needs some seasoning. Rain and a winter will firm up the new stuff. Plus, Horse Butte is closer to Bend.
    I'm sure the tread is fine and dandy. It just bores!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    ...that would have bored me to death! Glad I decided to high tail it to Maston. Can't quite get enough of the new Rim Trail there!
    Last time i went to maston (was also the first time!) it was seriously boring. I've heard there have been improvements. It must be a lot better.

I went to the radlands the other day and was pleasantly surprised. It's not amazing but it's a lot better than the Maston that i remember.
    Bend, OR