mtbr member

Hornings Hustle Tire Selection?

Hey, I am going to be participating in the Hornings Hustle race in Aril. This will be my first race ever. (little nervous) I currently have Kenda Nevys in my ride. I was wondering if you guys could recomend a lighter, less rolling resistance tire combo for the probable race conditions. Thanks for any info.

P.S. My bike is a 08' Giant Trance X1 if that helps at all. I know its not a race bike but its all I got.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last year that race course was a soupy mess. I don't think it would have mattered what tires I had.

Unless you are looking to get new tires for a whole season of racing, I wouldn't bother buying new tires just for this race. Although not the lightest or fastest, your Nevegals should be fine. Since this is your first race, I say just bring what you got and have fun.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCogset
    Last year that race course was a soupy mess. I don't think it would have mattered what tires I had.

Unless you are looking to get new tires for a whole season of racing, I wouldn't bother buying new tires just for this race. Although not the lightest or fastest, your Nevegals should be fine. Since this is your first race, I say just bring what you got and have fun.
    I totally agree with Cp'n Cogset. I think Nevegals are fine in mud (maybe not the best, but not bad; I run the big 2.35's, though, so the 2.1's might suck). FYI I once splurged on some mud tires for a race (the Mudslinger) and I really wished I hadn't, they helped on some parts of the course and hindered on others (and now I don't use 'em much at all).

Relax and have a great time! Racing in Oregon is a wonderful thing. I only started a couple years ago, and I still only manage to sneak in a couple events per year -- but I always enjoy the scene and the cool / laid back people you meet at bike events here. There will likely be many other first timers. There will definitely be people on heavier/crappier bikes. (Your Trance may not be ideal, but it'll probably be one of the nicer bikes in the lineup assuming you're starting in Beginner.) I'd focus on showing up well-slept, with a well-running bike. Try to do your best and enjoy the people you meet -- you'll be hooked.

mtbr member
    thanks guys. i'll save the coin and just use what i got then.