slower than you

Horning's Hustle - rigid or full squisher?

I'm busting my mountain bike racing cherry next weekend at Horning's and had been planning to ride my Fuel EX7. When my wife started riding a few weeks ago I began riding my Homegrown more, which is rigid. I'd been spending so much more time with the Trek that I forgot what a fun bike the Homegrown is to ride. It's so much lighter and snappier, and I don't miss the suspension as much as I expected.

I've raced cross up at Horning's but have no idea what the xc course will be like. I'm racing beginner, have okay technical skills for a roadie, and climb like I have a Camelbak full of bricks. Is it a course that heavily favors full suspension or can a rigid bike cope just fine? One of my teamates is racing on her cross bike, so she's definitely a bigger man than I am.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am not sure what the course was for the cyclo-cross race there, but the XC race last year wasn't that technical of a course. It had 2 steep, muddy as hell downhills that were tough because of the mud, but not technical. The rest of the course was fairly smooth; maybe a little bumpy because of the mud and grass. If you are comfortable on a rigid bike I think that would be fine. I rode a hardtail with 3" in the front last year and was fine.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

slower than you
    Cool. The cx course was really tame, a bit of singletrack, bumpy meadows, gravel and some climbing through the woods. I thought it was pretty mountain bikey for a cross course actually. I'm going to pre-ride on Saturday but I'd prefer to ride the bike I plan to race. At least this gives me an excuse to buy new tires, 'cuz one can never have enough of those.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCogset
    I am not sure what the course was for the cyclo-cross race there, but the XC race last year wasn't that technical of a course. It had 2 steep, muddy as hell downhills that were tough because of the mud, but not technical. The rest of the course was fairly smooth; maybe a little bumpy because of the mud and grass. If you are comfortable on a rigid bike I think that would be fine. I rode a hardtail with 3" in the front last year and was fine.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Now that its over, we all can see any bike was fine for it. I ran my rigid single 29r, and spent alot of time walking, but i was walking along fsr, hard tails, cross, all of em. Im glad we all survived...

slower than you
    How 'bout that mud? I ended up getting a 29er earlier in the week so I rode that. I almost wish I'd mounted some cross tires instead of the Rampages I was running. I've never been so happy to see a finish line, that's for sure.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    That was horrible! It felt more like an adventure race, carrying my bike half the course.

Metalheadbikerider

Were you the dude...

Quote Originally Posted by ratspike
    How 'bout that mud? I ended up getting a 29er earlier in the week so I rode that. I almost wish I'd mounted some cross tires instead of the Rampages I was running. I've never been so happy to see a finish line, that's for sure.
    that raced next to me most of the time? I was on the orange FS Kona King (horrible bike choice) in an S & M jersey. Those steeps combined with the mud must have sucked on the SS.
    I did all 3 laps in Sport and was wiped at the end. I was planning for a 1.5 hour race and ended up racing quite a bit longer than that! My bike easily had an extra 10# added to it. The FS sucked as it has many more places for mud to gather....probably my second hardest race ever. I wish it would have rained more to thin out the peanut butter clay! In the end, I guess we can all be thankful for one helluva workout!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    that raced next to me most of the time? I was on the orange FS Kona King (horrible bike choice) in an S & M jersey. Those steeps combined with the mud must have sucked on the SS.
    I did all 3 laps in Sport and was wiped at the end. I was planning for a 1.5 hour race and ended up racing quite a bit longer than that! My bike easily had an extra 10# added to it. The FS sucked as it has many more places for mud to gather....probably my second hardest race ever. I wish it would have rained more to thin out the peanut butter clay! In the end, I guess we can all be thankful for one helluva workout!
    Nah, that definitely wasn't me but I probably moved out of your way at some point. I raced beginner and only saw the S&M crew as they passed me. I was one of the Finnegan's jerseys, but the only one in beginners. I seriously wasn't prepared for that super thick glop along the back stretch before the creek crossing. When we prerode on Saturday I felt like I had a decent handle on the course and would be able to ride the descents, but on Sunday it was a totally different story. After a spectacular endo on that loooong downhill after the climb up the road I decided it was time to walk the descents for the remainder of the race.

Fun stuff though. Hopefully Mudslinger will be a little more bike race and less hike-a-bike.
    Dog is my copilot

Metalheadbikerider

Mudslinger is always muddy...

Quote Originally Posted by ratspike
    Nah, that definitely wasn't me but I probably moved out of your way at some point. I raced beginner and only saw the S&M crew as they passed me. I was one of the Finnegan's jerseys, but the only one in beginners. I seriously wasn't prepared for that super thick glop along the back stretch before the creek crossing. When we prerode on Saturday I felt like I had a decent handle on the course and would be able to ride the descents, but on Sunday it was a totally different story. After a spectacular endo on that loooong downhill after the climb up the road I decided it was time to walk the descents for the remainder of the race.

Fun stuff though. Hopefully Mudslinger will be a little more bike race and less hike-a-bike.
    but I don't ever remember it having the peanut butter-type mud. You usually finish the race ccovered in mud because it is wetter, and isn't clay. There are a few short sections that may require some hike-a-bike, but not like Hornung's. You will have fun on the 'slinger course, it's a good one. It's more of a mtb course, and less of a cross course.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Members who have read this thread: 0