Rider

Hoodriver Tours?

Does anyone know of a Shuttle service in the Hoodriver area? Looking for some shuttles for about 3 days of riding this fall with about 6-8 guys. Looking for the Post Caynon area and some alpine stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think you missed your chance. Its been raining like cats and dogs. Post canyon is a mud hole. It will need a week of sun to dry. Check hood rats on facebook for trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    . . . towards the end of the summer there was a service running Post Canyon shuttles. Unfortunately, I don't know the name but I did see it out there quite a bit.

Yeah, Post Canyon will be sloppy for a while (including this weekend). It will pain me to see all the cars around town with mud-crusted bikes on top. Please be considerate folks and wait for the trails to dry out. Last year they just got trashed from people riding in the mud.

Rider
    Thanks for the heads up on the post, I don't want to tear up trails. I am hoping for some dry weather the next 2 weeks so I can ride some more. fingers crossed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bet the trails East of HWY 35 are prime. That is where I will be this weekend. I don't believe that Knebal or Eight Mile have ever been too wet to ride.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Rode Surveyor's and Cooks yesterday and Post today. Both were in prime condition, hero dirt and brown pow are the words I would use to describe the conditions.

Hood River Adventures
    828-773-1653
    541-400-1216
    hoodriveradventures.com

They are a small outfit but I've used them to take me up to Kingsley Res.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey just talk to some guys who rode post canyon on Saturday. They said it was pretty wet. They said it needs to dry some more before we ride again. Right now Monday at 9 a.m. it sprinkling. It needs some sun.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    I rode upper Post on Sunday and it had cleaned up nicely by then. Parked at Family man and drove up from there.

The past two days have dumped here in HR. Gonna take a few days, but hopefully by Saturday things will be in good shape.

I second the suggestion of riding trails east of 35.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yes drove up to post canyon parking lot last night after work.. There was standing water on the fire road. That is a bad sign. The upper trails might be good by sat but I doubt the lowers will be dry.
    Very reliable source said whoope was moist on sunday, this rain may have made it too wet in the shaded areas. But some people was don't worry about trail damage as much as they should.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was thinking of maybe trying Whoopdee this afternoon, but will stick to the roads instead. Should be good by the weekend, I hope.

Rider
    Thanks J,

just what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jmeldrum26 View Post
    Rode Surveyor's and Cooks yesterday and Post today. Both were in prime condition, hero dirt and brown pow are the words I would use to describe the conditions.

Hood River Adventures
    828-773-1653
    541-400-1216
    hoodriveradventures.com

They are a small outfit but I've used them to take me up to Kingsley Res.

Rider
    anyone have some good long ride recomendations for East of 35?

anyone ride Syncline recently?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rode syncline wed night after work. Actually a little too dry. Syncline is at its best when wet. Can't wait to see what happens with the parking. My buddy counted 24 new spots in the lot. We have a feeling there will be no parking signs on highway 14.

mtbr member
    Whoopde trail is fine, last night there were a few very small puddles in the shaded areas and the climb out was actually a bit dry.

As for Syncline parking.... its gonna get interesting when those big Spring days hit... cars will inevitably be parking along HWY 14. I don't think they can post "no parking" signs along the HWY, otherwise they would have to post them everywhere that gets big seasonal traffic (ie fishing traffic at Roland Lake, mouth of WS, mouth of Little White, Wind ect)..... you cant target one user group in my opinion, must be uniform across the board.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah can't help but wonder if they are going to charge to park. Makes you wonder why they are blocking off the old lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedude View Post
    Yeah can't help but wonder if they are going to charge to park. Makes you wonder why they are blocking off the old lot.
    Agree, or at least a NW Forest Pass..... but that will just lead to more people parking on the HWY or Courtney Rd.

I remember in some of the original Syncline meetings they were discussing parking lot capacity numbers and somehow the FS came up with 25 cars, which is nowhere close to the demand on a March or April weekend when 50+ cars can be seen at any given daylight hour. Unfortunately the FS had plans already in place before any public comment and these types of decisions are often made by people who rarely visit such locations and witness high demand days. With all the money spent on the shiny new parking lot when not put in a restroom, trash receptacle or even trail expansion......

Rider
    anyone have a good night ride route around hood river?

mtbr member
    Syncline, Post, Whoopdee and even 44rd stuff are all good with lights... just depends on what trail conditions permit at that time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    ... and somehow the FS came up with 25 cars.....
    Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area (CGNSA) restrictions, per USFS email response to my comments.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area (CGNSA) restrictions, per USFS email response to my comments.
    I realize this, but these numbers are arbitrarily made up without any sort of carrying capacity in mind. Its only gonna push more cars onto the shoulders of HWY 14, which will only turn a FS problem into a WDOT problem.... just throwing responsibly onto someone else in my opinion.