mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is Hood River still the place to go??

I haven't been riding since 2004, but would like to get out and ride some this year. I live in Southeast Portland, near Rockwood, and used to go to Powell Butte (for 15 years). Powell Butte has been nearly closed to bikes now (officially anyway) for most of the year and most of the trails are "off limits" now too. I want to ride legal trails, but want something fun to ride, too. Is Hood River still the place to go for stunts, etc.? I used to go up to MT. Hood for the lift, but there isn't any stunts there of course. Anybody know of any place actually here in town?? A few years back I'd been to the Grotto, 174 off of Powell and a few other places. I'd appreciate any info.

Shane

AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEE!!!
    shane, hood river is still the place to go, post canyon in particular. Supposedly PUMP is working with the Portland to try and put something together in an otherwise unused section of washington park. Also, a shop in Hillsboro (TrailHead cycles) is creating a small trail system near brown's camp out on HWY 6 that should have some freeridish obstacles. They're having work parties and such every few weeks or so to get that completed.

mtbr member
    Falls City (Blackrock trails) maybe a lil more than an hour from portland. 15-20 miles west of Salem. Amazing trails for all rider abilities. Tons of drops, jumps, ladders, skinnies, etc. check out http://blackrockfreeride.org/mx/index.php and http://www.santiambicycle.com/ Santiam is a huge supporter of these trails and on the message board people often post when they are riding or building. Definatly check these trails out when you get a chance!!