mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Hood River riding 8/10 - 8/11

My wife and I are wandering up to Hood River for the weekend of 8/10. She will be doing the Trek Dirt Series, which means I get a bunch of time for myself to do some riding and exploring. I plan on hitting up a few sites including:

- hoodriver.org/biking
    - Hood River Mountain Biking
    - hrats.org

But am happy for suggestions, or if there are already open local rides that go on each day. I'm probably looking for rides in the 2-4 hour range, not insanely fast, XC preferred to AM. I'll be on my Niner Jet9 RDO.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    -jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hood River riding 8/10 - 8/11

My recommendation: Surveyors Ridge - out and back is about 3-4 hours with great views of Mt Hood. You start at the power lines and can ride the forrest road out (which is easier) and then back on the ridge or ride the trail out and back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks! This seems like a good option coupled with Syncline the other day.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Thanks! This seems like a good option coupled with Syncline the other day.
    Syncline is not recommended right now. Hot, poison oak, and rattlesnakes. Post is pretty dusty; Maybe check some of the more western trails on the Washington side, up from Carson?

Surveyors is a good call. Check thegorgeismygym.com for other ideas.. Temira has a finger on the pulse of what's happening around here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Agree Surveyor's will be a good choice. Post is still fun as of yesterday, but getting pretty full of little clay bbs. You have to love "dirt surfing" or you will be a little bummed.

If you can take a little trip, Falls Creek starts about 15 miles north of Carson, and is still riding great.

As noted above, Syncline is not prime this time of year.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    One of the main places I ride here in Santa Cruz has lots of nice sand pits, so dirt surfing? Should be ok. I will look into Post.

Thanks re: Syncline. I don't mind out of season trails, but, well, that oak thing and I have a hate-hate relationship

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Due to how craptacularly noisy the Hood River Best Western was, we ended up moving our lodging up above Lyle. So, I ended up running the wife down to the clinic and mostly hanging out in/around Hood River.

Since I didn't feel like driving more, I just rode Post Canyon for a few days. Lots of variety, and I needed the climbing from the first staging area -- i'm getting weak and fluffy. Trails were dusty, but mostly do able. The bottom switch backs on mitchell ridge were more like a slip and slide, climbing the upper part of 8-track was amusing as well (still running some decent tread -- nobby nics) but doable. Despite that, Bad Motor Scooter and playing around at Family Many were pretty darn fun. I went back the 2nd day specifically because of BMS.

It was interesting comparing riding dusty Post w/ a wet/freezing 20+mi ride in Lowell (outside Eugene) in Feb.

I had a lot of fun, hell, the dirt series even took some of the ladies on BMS on the last day, my wife included. So, that gives me an idea of how she's progressed on some things.

I'd love to ride tacky Post, and from the sounds of things, I guess we will be visiting again.

On another note - the beer in Hood River (and around) was tasty - Pfreim, Double Mountain, and Everybody's Brewing stood out. Killing time at Dirty Finger drinking 3-Grid ipa watching crankworx didn't suck either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    The bottom switch backs on mitchell ridge were more like a slip and slide . . . .
    My hat is off to anyone who can ride up those. They are hard to walk, never mind ride. That part of the trail is new, so maybe it will set up at some point. But glad you had a good time here in town.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The bottom half of Mitchell Ridge is horrible right now. 1ft deep sand on all switchback corners. It needs some reinforcement in the under layer. I'll definitely go out in the fall and help out the HRATS.