Love4Mtns
    May 2009

Hood River Ride tomorrow

Hi, I didn't have the funds to head down to MT. Bike Oregon this weekend, so I plan to check out the trails near Hood River.
    I know it's last minute, but does anyone want to join me. I plan to ride for a few hours or pack a lunch and go a little long depending on the trail I chose.
    Does any one have any suggestions for a good trail in that area? I moved to Portland less than a year ago and have been doing most of my riding near Scappoose.

Thanks,

-Sean

Afric Pepperbird
    I cannot join you, but when I lived in Portland, I loved Surveyor's Ridge!. It's a classic. Do a search here or online for all the directions, details, etc. It's south of Hood River

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Thanks, I am gonna hit that up.

mtbr member
    small world....

i've never rode surveyors ridge, but i'm heading there in the morning (sunday) to ride with two other guys who have never been there. i'd say we are advanced (far from expert) riders out to have fun for a few hours and check out some new trails. all ride hardtails. well, there is a 26" 1xsomething, a 29" rigid ss, and a 29" hardtail. join us if you like.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

Formerly of Kent
    Based on the showing at the shop tonight, and close attention paid to ring fingers, jewelry and tan lines, I'd say there will be approximately 20-30 attractive, single women up at Post Canyon tomorrow.

Just in case SR doesn't work out, another option...

; )

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I rode Surveyor's Ridge yesterday, I'm definitely not up for a repeat performance today. Upon the suggestion of a mechanic at Discover Bikes, I started from the bottom of Dog River Trail, rode down 35, climbed up Oak Ridge Trail and Surveyor's Ridge, and finished by riding down the Dog River Trail. I DO NOT recommend this direction. It felt like I was climbing all day. Going up Oak Ridge is a pain in @$$. There is a large section in the middle that is steep covered in large gravel that killed traction and forced me to climb it on foot. I may have been able to pick my way up most of it on my bike, but would have been more tiring than it was worth.
    I recommend parking at the bottom of Oakridge and heading the other way around the loop. This was what I was planning to do before I received the "advice" of the local mechanic. The only exception is if you're a racer and need a killer training ride. All in all, however, this was a beautiful ride and I plan to return here and do it my way.

ronbo613
    It felt like I was climbing all day.
    Par for the course around here. Up and down, that's the way it goes.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    Par for the course around here. Up and down, that's the way it goes.
    Go ride the bike mountains in Washington State and these rides would seem way mellow. A 5k climb is not unusual up north.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    That is about the worst possible route I can think of to ride Surveyors. From the Dog River trailhead I just ride straight up Dog River Trail, it's steep & almost entirely up for a few miles but it's not overly brutal & it dumps you out right at the trail head for Surveyors on Road 44. From there you ride Surveyors to either the powerlines & then take the road back down to Hwy 35 for a 6-7 mile-ish return to Dog River or you can cross under the powerlines & go up Bald Butte for another couple miles of hellish uphill that pays off with several miles of great downhill & dumps you on the same road out to Hey 35, just a few miles closer to the end.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes
    I rode Surveyor's Ridge yesterday, I'm definitely not up for a repeat performance today. Upon the suggestion of a mechanic at Discover Bikes, I started from the bottom of Dog River Trail, rode down 35, climbed up Oak Ridge Trail and Surveyor's Ridge, and finished by riding down the Dog River Trail. I DO NOT recommend this direction. It felt like I was climbing all day. Going up Oak Ridge is a pain in @$$. There is a large section in the middle that is steep covered in large gravel that killed traction and forced me to climb it on foot. I may have been able to pick my way up most of it on my bike, but would have been more tiring than it was worth.
    I recommend parking at the bottom of Oakridge and heading the other way around the loop. This was what I was planning to do before I received the "advice" of the local mechanic. The only exception is if you're a racer and need a killer training ride. All in all, however, this was a beautiful ride and I plan to return here and do it my way.
    No matter what you do, short of shuttling, you have to climb back to where you started, so "climbing all day", particularly when you're riding a bike on the flanks of the largest mountain in the state, is a reality you're going to have to live with.

And personally, I'd rather go up the gravel field than try to go down it. That's a sure fire way to ruin a great ride.

Metalheadbikerider

I've done that loop

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    No matter what you do, short of shuttling, you have to climb back to where you started, so "climbing all day", particularly when you're riding a bike on the flanks of the largest mountain in the state, is a reality you're going to have to live with.

And personally, I'd rather go up the gravel field than try to go down it. That's a sure fire way to ruin a great ride.
    about 5 times (up Oakridge, over on Surveyor's, down Dog River, back on HWY 35), but think that Oakridge up or down is not worth the time. Next time I do it I am going to park and go up DR, and do Surveyor's as an out and back, and descend DR back to the car. No Oakridge, and no riding on the hwy.

Yesterday we did a great ride up there. Left a shuttle car at the bottom of DR and headed up to High Prairie. High Prairie back down DR to the car. 20+ miles. It is a great ride that still involves some climbing and really rips.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    Yesterday we did a great ride up there. Left a shuttle car at the bottom of DR and headed up to High Prairie. High Prairie back down DR to the car. 20+ miles. It is a great ride that still involves some climbing and really rips.
    Did you start at High Prairie, and ride 450, Bottle Prairie, Knebel Springs, Surveyor's to Dog River? Or was it something else?

Any issues with closed trails due to logging? (Didn't see anything on the Forest website)

I'll be riding this weekend so any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Milt

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Milt,
    I don't think the other people in that replied to my run of this trail understood what I was trying to express. I do understand that to go do you have to go up. The thing is that by traveling the circuit in the direction that I did, you will be climbing for the first %60 to %70 of your ride (including Surveyor's Ridge which is mostly uphill in this direction) , with the first %25 being a fairly steep climb. I am only suggesting that you take the other direction which has milder climbing and may be a more enjoyable loop. There wasn't any trail closures due to logging when I went. Apparently there are some trail closures (particularly the trails near Scappoose) due to increased forest fire risk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes
    Milt,
    I don't think the other people in that replied to my run of this trail understood what I was trying to express. I do understand that to go do you have to go up. The thing is that by traveling the circuit in the direction that I did, you will be climbing for the first %60 to %70 of your ride (including Surveyor's Ridge which is mostly uphill in this direction) , with the first %25 being a fairly steep climb. I am only suggesting that you take the other direction which has milder climbing and may be a more enjoyable loop. There wasn't any trail closures due to logging when I went. Apparently there are some trail closures (particularly the trails near Scappoose) due to increased forest fire risk.
    Thanks for the reply, Sean! I've ridden the Surveyor's Loop before, but started by riding up Dog River and descending Oakridge, as you originally planned, and the way I prefer to ride it. So I understand what you are saying!

Seems like the last time I was in the area, there was some kind of closure, maybe Eight-Mile?, that had logging operations in progress. I guess I will find out!

Milt

mtbr member
    I'm from out of state, but come up there about once a year to ride with local buds and budettes. Those high voltage power lines on Surveyor's Ridge are freaky...all popping and crackling. We parked right under them one time and while we were unloading the bikes, every now and then you'd get a little static lightning bolt from your finger to metal on the truck or bike. Probably not the best place to park .