mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Hood River in July ? Where to Stay? Where to ride?

My wife and I are planning a road trip while our kids are away at camp in July. Neither of us have been to Hood River.

We are looking for recommendations...
    1. We are both picky about rooms/quality but trying to decide whether to stay near town (are there things/places to walk to) or out near the Columbia like Skamania or Carson Ridge Cabins.

2. Here is where it is bike related. I'd like to get a good ride in, I would love for the wife to join me. She has ridden a few times at Duthie and soaring eagle with the kids but from a technical standpoint a beginner. Are there trails at post canyon that she could ride that wouldn't be over her head?

3. The car we are taking is not bike friendly at all. Any guided tours or bike rental places that will drop bikes at the trailhead?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Post Canyon has something for everybody and highly recommended. I hear good things about Surveyors Ridge but haven't been there yet.

8-mile and Bottle Prairie are also good options but would be a bit of a drive from Hood River.

Hood River Bicycles has a shuttle service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Where do you catch the shuttle service? I also will be up in HR for two week in July for some sailing and riding. Driving up from NorCal as summers in the Gorge are about as good as it gets!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm not joking about this - the Best Western Plus in HR has a prime location. Many other hotel options exist in town, but that one is waterfront. It's not a typical "Best Western" either - was purchased by the conglomerate. If you want to stumble home after dinner/drinks, the walk would be a tad far though. Skamania is a sweet location, just very cut off - so if that's what you're looking for...

Post has lots of beginner friendly options - and only a handful of rocks. Post rides are more fitness limited than skill, although the singletrack climb is reasonable. I'd not recommend Syncline for a beginner as it's got a bit of a climb, plus lots of hard things to fall on.

A few bike shops rent bikes and run shuttles or have guiding services. Their websites clearly show which, I'd recommend calling if you have more questions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For sure use Dirty Finger for rental and shuttle needs. They will shuttle you from the bike shop. It's not to terribly far to pedal to post from town.

The best western is nice with views and a room balcony over looking the columbia. It's still expensive as hell for what it is and not walkable to town. Scamania lodge is pretty awesome if your looking for the spa experience. It's about a half hour from HR. Hood River hotel is really reasonable prices for what you get. Historic hotel right downtown with nice historic rooms. HR is a very walkable town with lots of sights, restaurants, breweries, etc. I would definitely recommend staying dowtown. Lots of air bnb options as well.

If you want to get a more classic OR mtb experience in try to get up on the mtn. Road 44 trails and as said surveyors ridge has awesome views. Some of that may be under snow well into July this year.

If your looking for other activities to do with the wife and get out away from the masses, falls creek falls is a cool/rewarding hike. Be sure to hit up Back Woods Brewing on your way out for beer & pizza if you do.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I am not a Best Western hater, and have in fact stayed there on occasion. It is a BW. I put my original Redline Monocog SS together in one of their rooms and took it on a local ride right after.
    I suggest the Edgefield (Mcmenamin's) in Troutdale as an alternative. 5-6 bars. brewery. 3 restaurants (with movie theatre), par 3 golf course, distillery. winery, live music most nights, and the biggest hot tub east of somewhere! It has a great "artsy" depression feeling. You can be in Hood River (or Syncline-Mt Hood-Sandy) in 45 minutes. St Helen's is due north (Lewis River, Ape Cave, Souixson).
    It's a hoot, and can be had cheap if you plan it right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    I am not a Best Western hater, and have in fact stayed there on occasion. It is a BW. I put my original Redline Monocog SS together in one of their rooms and took it on a local ride right after.
    I suggest the Edgefield (Mcmenamin's) in Troutdale as an alternative. 5-6 bars. brewery. 3 restaurants (with movie theatre), par 3 golf course, distillery. winery, live music most nights, and the biggest hot tub east of somewhere! It has a great "artsy" depression feeling. You can be in Hood River (or Syncline-Mt Hood-Sandy) in 45 minutes. St Helen's is due north (Lewis River, Ape Cave, Souixson).
    It's a hoot, and can be had cheap if you plan it right.
    I appreciate the suggestion but you lost me with "Common Bath" Looking into location Troutdale is too close to Portland as our 4th stop on the trip will be Dundee, OR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You will be fine with getting good bikes from one of the several places that rent, that is no problem at all. As for shuttle, you can honestly ride to Post from town, I do it unless I am pressed for time. It is max 2 miles and then you get a nice screaming road decent home. In July I like to start heading up toward the 44 trails area mentioned upthread, it's cooler and less cinnamon dust (post gets this fine powder that is unlike anything I had ridden before).

As for where to stay, this is the problem. We bought a crappy old house 10 years ago and rebuilt it to use as a summer house, but there are way too many houses in that town that are just piece of crap weekly rentals. The owners do little to keep them up beyond the absolute minimum. The house we bought had decades of deferred maintenance, it was thought to be a tear down by most contractors in town. Before we bought we used to do weekly rentals and they absolutely were miserable, from no AC or AC that wasnt cool enough to plumbing that backed up, it was more like camping than a summer vacation rental! There are VERY few decent quality places and there is a bit of a scramble now as a new ordinance went into place that radically restricts rentals less than 30 days after a few years of grandfathering. But I digress, seeing your comment about being picky, ugh, this will be tough. My wife and I literally bought a house there and renovated it because we are that way too, and could never spend 1-2 weeks there without regretting what we had rented.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Mountain View Bikes, or the others mentioned above can set you up with rentals. Easiest to just ride to Post Canyon from town, or catch a ride/shuttle to The Whoopdee, east of town, which your wife would probably LOVE.

Don't dilly dally on accommodations. July is our busiest month. Close to impossible to find a room on short notice. I think your kids would love being down on the waterfront, so I'd go Hood River Inn (BW). Surprisingly great restaurant. The chef/manager is a very avid cyclist.

Without the kids, I'd echo the downtown Hood River Hotel recommendation above, or one of the many great VRBOs available -- for now -- in and around town. Lots to see downtown, and it's all easily walkable. There just isn't much to offer kids without getting in the car.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Okay: Looking for route recommendations. My wife is not a skilled rider and is humoring me so I'd like to keep the ride pretty tame. Looking for a 8-12 mile loop on easy - intermediate (on the easier side of blues). Plan is to ride from town (Hood River).

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Whoop dee would be about it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.