mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Hood river enduro

Can't believe there hasen't been any chatter about this weekends race.

I was planning on doing a practice run today but opted not to do to the mass amounts of rain fall. Figuring the race will be more of a survival stay upright kind've ride. Anyone have the same thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Race is sold out at the cap of 300 riders. I'll be there today getting covered in mud. I think it will be interesting to see how the trail conditions change over the weekend since its suppose to dry out a little bit. My guess is that today will be a mud fest, saturday will be anyones guess but probably muddy and rutted up from friday practice, and sunday will be a mixed bag of trail conditions based on location and tree cover. I wouldn't hesitate to throw on your wintertime mud tires if you have them. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It is going to be ugly. Some of that stuff will hold up OK, but parts of Mitchell Ridge can be like riding on ice when wet (particularly the steeper parts coming into the Seven Streams trailhead). And the lower part of GP gets all chewed up in the rain, since the bottom parts of the whoopdee doos hold water. That trail just got back to normal after getting jacked up in the last wet period. Hope the promoters will be repairing the trails after the weekend. Also hope all the racers have a good time here (sun is out right now).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    It is going to be ugly. Some of that stuff will hold up OK, but parts of Mitchell Ridge can be like riding on ice when wet (particularly the steeper parts coming into the Seven Streams trailhead). And the lower part of GP gets all chewed up in the rain, since the bottom parts of the whoopdee doos hold water. That trail just got back to normal after getting jacked up in the last wet period. Hope the promoters will be repairing the trails after the weekend. Also hope all the racers have a good time here (sun is out right now).
    mitchel will be fun to watch in that bottom woods section....

maybe the race carnage on GP will make them re do it. It really wasnt fun when i rode it 3 weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm thinking slimy and slippery will really work to your advantage Mr. WFO. It'll slow things down a little and emphasize tech skills. You've got better skills than most folks do in those kinds of conditions. Good luck, i bet you'll do well.

Actually, you're probably done by the time i'm writing this, I'll have to give a call and see how it went.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Conditions were a mixed bag depending on the time of the day your runs were and how long it had been since the last rain shower. Some of the trails like blade runner and mitchell ridge were slick as snot for a few unlucky racing categories. Overall it was a good race other than the fact that the event organizers haven't figured out the timing system yet and a lot of peoples races were botched as of right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was going to give the Bend Enduro another try since the times were all jacked up last year, but not now. How many years have they been trying to get the timing system figured out? How much are the entry fees again?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't want to bad mouth the even organizers because I know its not an easy job. For the timing they even did it by "mechanical" means by writing your start times on each stage right on your number plate. This was suppose to make the timing almost fool proof but they still had issues and podiums weren't until 9pm. By then hardly anyone was still around for the event, it was kinda sad.

mtbr member
    conditions were hero status!

timing...well. they'll do better next time for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just clarifying - no one has seen results for us regular racers yet have they? This wait seems a little over the top. I had a great time at the race, but am quite disappointed in the organization given the entry fee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    its up on the oregon enduro weebsite

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

where? I don't see it

Oregon Enduro SeriesResults Oregon Enduro Series

nothing there yet (1pm tuesday)

Dude, got any schwag?
    Those appear to be last year's results.

Edit; results up, but not sorted at all.
    Last edited by TheSchwagman; 05-30-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not sorted and not correct...and late on the final results as well.

Has anyone here participated before who can add their experience? Is this the the kind of organization I'm supposed to expect for an over $100 entry fee?

mtbr member
    If the new timing system was dialed in perfect, I don't think there would be one complaint. The racing is SUPER fun is so many ways, I wouldn't let some timing delays run you off. For your money, you get LOTS of top notch time on the bike, and a fun racing experience. IMO, Enduro racing is about the fun, not pacing around waiting for results, unless you are PRO and this is your job.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadict View Post
    Not sorted and not correct...and late on the final results as well.

Has anyone here participated before who can add their experience? Is this the the kind of organization I'm supposed to expect for an over $100 entry fee?
    One days races, like the Bend race this weekend, are $75.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    If the new timing system was dialed in perfect, I don't think there would be one complaint. The racing is SUPER fun is so many ways, I wouldn't let some timing delays run you off. For your money, you get LOTS of top notch time on the bike, and a fun racing experience. IMO, Enduro racing is about the fun, not pacing around waiting for results, unless you are PRO and this is your job.
    Then why not save your money and ride with your buddies. If I were to pay an entry fee to ride local trails, the timing system better be flawless.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Then why not save your money and ride with your buddies. If I were to pay an entry fee to ride local trails, the timing system better be flawless.
    I agree! I guess what I am trying to say, is that sheet happens, but I am betting it will be DIALED by this weekends race.

Getting the little stomach butterflies, hearing 5-4-3-2..... , about to drop in to your local closed and taped-off trail, is still much different than riding with buddies.

Free beer, food, killer raffle, meeting new people....
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Enduro racing is about the fun, not pacing around waiting for results, unless you are PRO and this is your job.
    I agree, and wasn't trying to say the results are my only focus. I had a blast at Hood River - I race to push myself, meet new people, and learn new places to ride. And yes, I realize the one day races are less expensive.

Timing wasn't the only thing I was disappointed in however - the start times for Saturday weren't posted until late Friday night, and they didn't bother to post Sunday start times at all. The course routing, while generally good, left a few places with very ambiguous direction signs. They decided to let some people re-run stage six because of one misdirect.

I had a good time, I just got the feeling that the organizers lacked much professionalism. Again, for the money they received - ~350 riders times $110 each - $38,500 plus sponsor money, I expected more.

I'm hoping this was just a little bumpy being the first event, and things will run smoother from here on out. I've got a season pass, so I'll be at every one regardless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadict View Post
    I agree, and wasn't trying to say the results are my only focus. I had a blast at Hood River - I race to push myself, meet new people, and learn new places to ride. And yes, I realize the one day races are less expensive.

Timing wasn't the only thing I was disappointed in however - the start times for Saturday weren't posted until late Friday night, and they didn't bother to post Sunday start times at all. The course routing, while generally good, left a few places with very ambiguous direction signs. They decided to let some people re-run stage six because of one misdirect.

I had a good time, I just got the feeling that the organizers lacked much professionalism. Again, for the money they received - ~350 riders times $110 each - $38,500 plus sponsor money, I expected more.

I'm hoping this was just a little bumpy being the first event, and things will run smoother from here on out. I've got a season pass, so I'll be at every one regardless.
    Oh yeah I forgot about the start time deal. True, true....

I honestly don't think they expected that high of a registration number. I'm sure that added to the chaos.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I agree! I guess what I am trying to say, is that sheet happens, but I am betting it will be DIALED by this weekends race.

Getting the little stomach butterflies, hearing 5-4-3-2..... , about to drop in to your local closed and taped-off trail, is still much different than riding with buddies.

Free beer, food, killer raffle, meeting new people....
    You certainly do have a point in regard to the butterflies.

It seems to me a series like the Oregon Enduro series, that has been at it for several years, and is also getting national recognition, should really have their stuff together.

I don't here many complaints in regard to other series. The Oregon Enduro timing issue does seem to pop up from time to time. How do others compare to the Oregon Enduro?

I don't race much, so I really don't have a dog in the fight.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.