mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Hood River cyclocross bike trails

Any thoughts on MTB trails in the Hood River area that would be good riding on a cyclocross bike?

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Surveyors Ridge?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have only ridden SR twice, and not in the past year, but that was what I was thinking as well. I know there might be a couple sections where I have to dismount, but no big deal. Only thing less than ideal is that I kind of remember that trail being a long slight climb with a turnaround and a longish decent. In an ideal world, I would find something a little more rolling or with just a little less of a sustained decent.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Knebal Springs & 8 mile would seem like good bets to me, but I'm no cyclocrosser. They're both loops & you can connect them into a big figure 8 if you want more. The trailhead to access both is just a few miles up road 44 past the Surveyors trailhead.

ronbo613
    I'd have to agree with GorgeDon; Surveyors has some pretty good ups and downs that would lose all their charm with 700c wheels. Some pretty rocky sections where a bit fatter tire and suspension comes in handy.
    Knebal Springs and Eight Mile will give you a nice, challenging cruise through the woods. Go around twice if you need too, pretend you are Sven Nys on vacation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    I'd have to agree with GorgeDon; Surveyors has some pretty good ups and downs that would lose all their charm with 700c wheels. Some pretty rocky sections where a bit fatter tire and suspension comes in handy.
    Knebal Springs and Eight Mile will give you a nice, challenging cruise through the woods. Go around twice if you need too, pretend you are Sven Nys on vacation.
    When I think cyclocross, I think of pain, misery and punishment. Charm and nice are not words I would use to describe a cx ride.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Members who have read this thread: 0