mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hood River area without PoisonOak

Last weekend I was able to get in an early morning ride on Hospital Hill in the Hood River area. Great ride. Now I am laid up with poison oak. Are there other trails in the area up there that are free of this demon weed?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For some reason, I don't get it (knock on wood). But, all the stuff on the WA side seems to have the Oak after early spring (or so I'm told). The OR side is good. Post Canyon is wet right now, but should be dry by this weekend. Trails off of 35 and 44 should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Didn't notice any poison oak at Surveyor's Ridge 2 weeks ago. The trail is a little overgrown in some spots but otherwise is in great shape.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hope Have to get some elevation

I think Oak doesn't grow above a certain elevation. I think! I'm not sure what that elevation is but I have never seen any at Surveryors or even Dog River. Maybe it is too wet up there for Oak. I got some on my lower legs from Whoop De trail a while back. It sucks! Syncline is an Oaky place I would avoid in the Spring and Summer. Good luck. I hear your pain.

Jaybo

Singletrack Junkie
    The Washington side is Oakville as Slackdaddy found out. Coyote Cliffs, Loose Lucy and Hidden Canyon are really bad from Tax day till Turkey day. The bottom section of the Woopie is probably where Jaybo found it. its real bad there.
    I use "Dawn" dishwashing liquid to get rid of the oil. When I know it will be a while before I can get to a shower I sudz up at the car. Looks stupid but not nearly as bad a the Dreaded Rash.
    Here is a web site that you can check which trails have had maintenance on the MHNF.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mthood/recre...ls/index.shtml
    Click on the Ranger District on the right side of the page.
    This year was really bad for tree blow down. As of 6-4-06 many trails still need work.
    Dog River is clear of trees but is getting over grown (needs to be brushed out) Check before you ride.
    Doogalbob

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry you got poison oak. It sounds miserable, I'm glad I don't get it. It's always fun to pluck branch of it and chase people around though.
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die."

Singletrack Junkie
    PVFJR,
    The Columbia Area Mt. Biking Advocates (CAMBA) are organizing a work party to brush out the Whoopie trail. We are looking for someone that can deal with the section of the trail that has Posion Oak. Will you help us? We're supplying the beer.
    Doogalbob

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by doogalbob
    PVFJR,
    The Columbia Area Mt. Biking Advocates (CAMBA) are organizing a work party to brush out the Whoopie trail. We are looking for someone that can deal with the section of the trail that has Posion Oak. Will you help us? We're supplying the beer.
    Doogalbob
    Got a date? I'll see if I can make it. Earlier morning so it wouldn't be too uncomfortable to wear long pants, shirt, gloves.

Any plans to deal with the current logging operations?

It'd be cool to build a bridge at the one stream crossing at the bottom, but if there are any horses they'd bust it up.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I don't drink, and I'm 200 miles away. Otherwise I'd love to. I've got an immune uncle in Canby though. There is a possibility I may find myself down in the Canby area for a weekend or two this summer, but it's a stretch. When are you guys planning this? Where is this trail anyway?
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the help. The oak rages on and now the spots have started to ooze. Been trying to keep things mellow with the Tecnu, but not this time I guess. So far the suggestions have been limited to Surveyor's Ridge and Dog River. Are there others that would be clear of the demon weed?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyDad
    Thanks for the help. The oak rages on and now the spots have started to ooze. Been trying to keep things mellow with the Tecnu, but not this time I guess. So far the suggestions have been limited to Surveyor's Ridge and Dog River. Are there others that would be clear of the demon weed?
    Post Canyon is fine. Trails are in perfect condition right now (rode Seven Streams/Family Man/Mitchell Ridge loop from the house last night).

Also 8-mile, 15-mile, High Prairie, etc., off of 44 (South of Surveyor's, heading towards Dufur). Good stuff, several possible loop combinations, and camping. Get the map from one of the bike shops in Hood River if you don't have it.

the Dude memorial aviator
    Quote Originally Posted by slackdaddy
    Post Canyon is fine. Trails are in perfect condition right now (rode Seven Streams/Family Man/Mitchell Ridge loop from the house last night).
    Mitchell didn't have any oak? It was covered last year at this time. That last downhill section was like running a gauntlet. My friend got it all over his face.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."