mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hood River area trip suggestions

Hey everyone, there's a group of us coming down from Vancouver the first week of April to ride. We're all pretty strong riders physically and technically and will be on heavier duty AM bikes so anything from epic XC to techy downhills. Been searching around for trails but really not familiar with the area. We know about Syncline / Coyote wall, can anyone suggest some other places to hit? We can travel but would prefer to base out of 1 or 2 camps for the whole week.

cheers!
    Chris
    North Vancouver, BC

Afric Pepperbird
    Surveyor's Ridge, Knebal Springs, High Prairie, Eight and Fifteen mile loops...

see it all here

Be sure to click on any and all links for trails and maps.

Lots of campgrounds off of FS road 44, too

mtbr member
    ummm..i would like to suggest that you contact the ranger station in parkdale to see if the higher elevation trails suggested (Knebal Springs, High Prairie, Eight and Fifteen mile loops...) are clear of snow and have been cleared of blow-down....

The dry weather we have been experiencing this month probably will not last into March. The forecast today says snow to fall in the mountains by the end of the week.

Just my $.02
    Last edited by chick n da woods; 02-22-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Afric Pepperbird
    I missed the "April" part of your post

Yes, all of those trails will be unavail. until late June, at the earliest.

Other than Syncline (Ad Nauseam), you may be Shiite outta' luck.

Singletrack Addict
    Yeah, April is gonna be a crap shoot. Might get lucky, could be epic. Probably not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Lots of trails out of Oakridge are dreamy right now. Alpine, Middle Fork... you name it. It's spring already down here. Forget Hood River...
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

FKA Malibu412

Surveyors could be OK

Definitely contact the Ranger Station before proceeding.

However, at a little over 4200 feet, Surveyors could be OK in early April. A partial loop/shuttle with a Surveyors ascent and Dog Creek downhill could be a nice ride.

This season, the snow seems to be hugging the major peaks pretty tight and you couldn't get away with a 4200 feet ride on the side of Hood, even by April. But, unless we get a major dumping of the white stuff, Surveyors may be far enough from Hood to have a clear trail in another 5-6 weeks. I know the 3500-4500 feet foothills I'm riding right now don't have spit for snow--Larch, Silver Star, 3 Corner Rock in Washington.

But, I could be all wet. Perhaps the shaded and cool areas of Surveyors could be holding pockets that make it impassible while the open stretches will likely be clear.

This is one I would consider for early April. The rest of the suggestions are a little higher in elevation, further south and closer to Hood.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 02-23-2010 at 12:43 AM.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

FKA Malibu412

On the other side of the Gorge

Not far from the Gorge and Hood River are some great Washington rides in Lewis River, Falls Creek/Old Man Pass shuttle, Siouxon Creek, 3 Corner Rock and Larch/Tarbell. All should remain comfortably below snow, offer some technical and downhill and have multiple camping spots to base your rides out of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would suggest Nestor Peak/ Buck Creek. It is snow-free now and probably will be in April as well. You can make it an AM up and down loop or shuttle it. I would think that most of Post Canyon will be open by then as well, considering the El Nino year. Rode there the just the other day. You also should consider picking up the Adventure Map for the area.
    Last edited by jmeldrum26; 02-23-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Kook91
    Lots of trails out of Oakridge are dreamy right now. Alpine, Middle Fork... you name it. It's spring already down here. Forget Hood River...

Hood River sucks and Oakridge rules. Go ride there

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone! The weather will of course be the big deciding factor, if you've been following the Olympics you know that it's been Spring up here too but that could still change. cheers!

mtbr member
    Don't forget Double Mountain Brewery http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/ & Big Horse Ales for some after ride beers. : )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeldrum26
    I would suggest Nestor Peak/ Buck Creek. It is snow-free now and probably will be in April as well. You can make it an AM up and down loop or shuttle it. I would think that most of Post Canyon will be open by then as well, considering the El Nino year. Rode there the just the other day. You also should consider picking up the Adventure Map for the area.
    JM26, how's Nestor running right now? Much for blow down or slop? I always like to get on it early in the season before all the horses tear up the lower section at least.

Thanks,

JG
    Ride On!

FKA Malibu412

Everybody's Brewing

in White Salmon, WA is worth a stop, as well. Decent grub and good brew.

mtbr member
    Good call, Bu. I didn't mean to leave Everybody's off the list, they brew their own beer & also have some quality rotating taps. (Terminal Gravity is usually available)

Walking Man in Stevenson is another (& my favorite as it's about 6 miles down the road).

There are so many great brew pubs in the Gorge these days it's easy to spend an entire day without ever taking the bikes off the rack, or so I've heard.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon
    Don't forget Double Mountain Brewery http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/ & Big Horse Ales for some after ride beers. : )
    I really like the new direction of this thread. Double Mountain looks like our home away from home

"All of our beers feature an organic Pilsner malt (from Gambrinus Malting in British Columbia) as the base ingredient, supplemented by various high-quality specialty malts and often copious amounts of hops."

Can't argue with that

"We currently sell beer-to-go from the Taproom in 64oz growlers, 30-liter and 50-liter kegs (please call us to check on availability), and in soda kegs provided by customers."

Lookout local campsites

Thanks for the input everyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey

"We currently sell beer-to-go from the Taproom in 64oz growlers, 30-liter and 50-liter kegs (please call us to check on availability), and in soda kegs provided by customers."
    All of the local brewpubs will fill a growler for you.

Walkingman is by far my favorite place for an after ride beer, plus the pizza is pretty good too. The Eliot Glacier Public House is also a good one. Descent food and beer, if it's nice the view of Hood from the back patio area is awesome.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.