MattSavage

Hood River area snow levels?

How low did the snow get last weekend? Anything up high still rideable? 15mile, that area?

Thanks!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    I don't have info on the 44 FR trails, but based on what I saw skiing at Timberline this weekend, the trails should be good. There's virtually no snow at Timberline (6000'), and continuous snow didn't start until a 100' or so below the Silcox Hut (7000'). And this was in protected areas, ridges and open areas were still bare.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

FKA Malibu412
    Snow level forecasted to drop to 3000' sometime Sunday so likely will be good before then, maybe wet and chilly.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I rode Monday. Could not quite get to the top of Cook's Meadow, but close. About 1 skinny inch of snow at the top of Knebal; easily rideable. 15 Mile should be fine.

Today/tomorrow might be the end for the Fall 44 Season. Get it while you can.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Word is the FR44 stuff is good right now, but snow is on the way on Friday. So, if you have the day off tomorrow and are so inclined . . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Word is the FR44 stuff is good right now, but snow is on the way on Friday. So, if you have the day off tomorrow and are so inclined . . . .
    Heard the same, so cleared the decks, and went up today.

The dirt is SO good. A few blowdowns, but it won't be this good again until the first rains of next September.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hood River area snow levels?-november-hood-045.jpgI was there today. It was a very nice day. I just hung up my gear and I am experiencing a strong inclination...
    Last edited by poppa#1; 11-13-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Picture
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Ditto, about as good as it gets up there this week. This is from my ride on Dog from Monday (1 of 3 rides that day with almost 40 miles of trail and 7k' of total gain/loss, I was cooked following to say the least)
    https://vimeo.com/79407640
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thought I would post this local trails update from Temira at Mt. Hood snow and Gorge wind forecast. The best, and always free! | The Gorge is my Gym. Unfortunately, sun doesn't always mean "get out and ride in the dirt." Too bad people have chewed up Whoopdee -- that has to be one of the best trails in the state. Hope those out there stomping around in the mud show up this spring to do some trail work and repair their damage.

From thegorgeismygym:

Apparently the trail compassion requests released by both Dirty Fingers and myself were ignored over the weekend. Whoopdee is now CLOSED by order of the trail steward. Sorry guys, but itís way too muddy to ride without damaging the trail. It will reopen after this freeze-thaw cycle is done. HRATS and Dirty Fingers will let you know. Please stay off Syncline as well, as itís taking a beating. Iím going to assume the same goes for Eagles Cave in The Dalles and Crawford Oaks.

If youíd like to ride, here are some better options: EasyCLIMB in Cascade Locks. Gorge 400 and 408 out of Wyeth. Gorge 400 out of Cascade Locks. Post Canyon, but please park at Family Man and ride up from there, as Seven Streams is taking a freeze-thaw beating in the new clearcuts. Knebal and 8-Mile, according to an email I received yesterday, are 95% snow free with just a few trees down, and what snow is there is 1Ē or so deep. So go ride there. Itís frozen. There are also, according to Kay, some trails in good shape up near Mt. Adams. I bet anything that Dog River is perfect, so go ride up that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Lewis River is in great shape too! Really good... from the road Falls Creek appears to be just as outstanding. Please remember that Falls Creek is full of hunters this time of year. Break out that Sellwood jersey, or anything else you might have that is bright orange. Anyone that has not been on Dog River in the last several weeks is missing out. What a great Fall season!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!