Thread: Hood River?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

New question here. Hood River?

Has anyone ever heard of Hood River, Oregon, I think it is in the northern part of the state. I think that I am going to have to move there due to work and was wondering if there was any good riding around there. I am from Michigan and ride alot so I want to make sure there is riding around there. Thanks for input

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Are you kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by muskratits
    Has anyone ever heard of Hood River, Oregon, I think it is in the northern part of the state. I think that I am going to have to move there due to work and was wondering if there was any good riding around there. I am from Michigan and ride alot so I want to make sure there is riding around there. Thanks for input
    Hood River is awesome! I work up in Klickitat County on the Washington side of the Gorge. It is an awesome place but there is no work to be found unless you work at Insitu or for the State, like me, or work from your home, or are a healthcare worker. Otherwise, it is minimum wage. It is mostly known for windsurfing but the mountain biking is world class. I like the riding here as well or better than any place in Oregon. It gets swarmed by people in the summer...but a great place to live. The only challenging thing is the cost of housing has gone mega crazy! It is at least 250K for even a modest home. A lot of people move east of Hood River to The Dalles to find cheaper housing. It is nice there but mostly desert and not as pretty but cheaper.

Jaybo

meatier showers

Oh hell yes

Just do it. There's no better place on this particular planet.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

illiterate or intoxicated

Nothing

Nothing to see here - Move along.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

mtbr member
    Hood River=Mountain Biking + Road Riding + Hiking + Wind Surfing + Skiiing + any other outdoor activity you can think off.

It's a cool area, nice town, close to Portland.

About the only thing I don't like about it is the fact it is a big tourist town now and alway's seems to have a lot of people driving through. Though I don't live there so maybe it's not that bad.

The other thing I remember about it is the WIND, it is a big time Wind Surfing destination and there is a reason.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good for you

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Just do it. There's no better place on this particular planet.

--Sparty
    You DOD guys are finally showing some taste

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muskratits
    I used to live near HR for a ton of years - moved to Park City and guess what.... I moved back to the area, I was just in town today .. to pick up a FR jersey for my ball & chain at discover bicycles.. great folks.. super cool and helpful even in the winter.

If you're into gravity riding you've got Post Canyon there.. If you ride AM/XC you couldn't be in a better place.. you've got bunches of trails in the HR area.. tons across the river into Washington. Easily accessible all the way up to Mount. Saint Helens in a day.

All i can say is you're going to love it...
    Dakine is based there, so is Full Sail brewery.. so its gotta be a good place. Mikes Ice Cream is great for after a summer ride... and then head down to New York Sub Shop for dinner..

Great Winery's near if thats your bag... and a gem of a brewery/pub down the river on the Washington side.. (i'll let you find that one on your own) .. once you do you may never leave.. especially if beer is your cup of tea.

the Dude memorial aviator
    I used to live there. You can ride to Post Canyon from pretty much anywhere in town. Stellar trails on Mt Hood are just a 40-minute drive down the road. If those are wet, you have options across the river. (That would be the Columbia.)

Rents/housing prices are insane, but the current word is nothing out there is moving.

The tourists used to drive me batsh!t insane in the summer - it gets really crowded.

Babygorilla gave some important advice here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...27883#poststop
    and it still holds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Nope, never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by windhoar
    Nothing to see here - Move along.
    "Anyone ever heard of Hood River?" No offence intended to the OP, but dude, you've stumbled across a gold mine!

Bikesurfer here too! Althought my kit has stayed dry for far too long.

EDIT: dang, I just noticed that the OP has 1 post... I think we've been duped by a troll!
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    My favorite restaurant ever is right outside Hood River. It is called Solstice and makes pizza fire cooked pizzas and amazing chicken and other great food. If you cross the bridge north over the river from Hood River, go right and the restaurant is soon on your right. Yum!
    Hood River is an awesome place, you can't go wrong there!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Unless you need a big city to feel complete, you will love HR. Winters are a bit gray. Summers are a bit crowded, but the crowds are happy crowds. Tons of mtb riding, and a ripping Saturday morning and Monday evening group road ride for the occasional change of pace. The real estate market is really stagnant right now. If you were buying, I'd find 3 places that were acceptable, and lowball them. At least one will bite.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

So true

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Unless you need a big city to feel complete, you will love HR. Winters are a bit gray. Summers are a bit crowded, but the crowds are happy crowds. Tons of mtb riding, and a ripping Saturday morning and Monday evening group road ride for the occasional change of pace. The real estate market is really stagnant right now. If you were buying, I'd find 3 places that were acceptable, and lowball them. At least one will bite.
    People in HR are happy most of the time. A very happy place. I am still amazed that people wave at me when I drive throughtout the area. No one does that in big cities. HR does have gloomy winter weather but it gets appreciably better by the time you get to The Dalles. Nonetheless, HR gets more sun than PDX. I believe the HR real estate will have to drop soon because nothing is moving.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    dude type "post canyon" into youtube and check it out. awsome riding to be had in hood river.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Even us Canadians have heard of Hood River. Great place to ride and hang out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    HR is great...However, I like it better just a few miles out in the hills...Best brew around is @ Parkdale,Or "Elliot glacier public house" with the best view of the Hood period...

Dog river and Surveyors ridge and many others are just up the road from HR....
    On the Washington side the Boundry trail and Quartz creek, hospital hill, wind river are awesome. One the best rides is Ape canyon, windy ridge...@ Mt.St. Helens ...

By the way my buddy is from Detroit and lives in Sandy now...

If your a climber you can't beat Hood, Adams, Beacon rock, Frenches dome, Area 51, and for more Smith rock is just a hop over the pass...plenty of rock & ice...

Good luck

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH
    Even us Canadians have heard of Hood River. Great place to ride and hang out.
    It's like the US version of Nelson BC, only without sales tax. It has a really cool laid back feel without that over hyped "ski resort village" center of the universe attitude. I've really enjoyed every bike trip I've done to Oregon, the trails are great around HR. I'm amazed to hear the real estate market is slow, hmmmmm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was privelaged enough to spend a summer up in Hood River a couple of years ago. It is an absolutely incredible place. Full Sail Ale is da' bomb and you can drink it fresh from the brewery. Timberline (I think thats the name) is a little shacky burger joint out by the airport that has the best burgers and fry dipping sauce in the world.

If you like phenomonal views of the water and rapids, go check out BZ Corners in Washington and you can hike down to the White Salmon and watch kayakers and rafters bombing the rapids every day during the summer. Bad ass!!!!!
    Last edited by Vernon Dozier; 01-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have to agree with everyone in saying that HR is a great place. I was there last year between Aug and Oct. It was beautiful weather except when we were getting into Oct. I brought my XC bike up there from San Diego and went to Post Canyon.....do I need to say anything more.... haha. After watching some dudes bomb downhill and doing jumps and all that I was hooked and went down to Mountain View and picked up a BigHit. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of places there for XC style of riding but if you pick up any mountain bike DVD more then likely you will see some guys ripping Post Canyon. Both bike shops there are super cool. I went to both multiple times a week and they gave me any info or help that I needed. The town was cool in itself, everyone is super chill and just laid back, totally outdoor kind of town. You will either see bikes or boards on top of most vechicals. Not sure about the whole buying house kind of stuff since I stayed in the hotel but if you can find something and dig it, then rock and roll. Best of luck, you will love it.

Z