2OFME
    Sep 2006

Hood area winter fat biking options?

Anyone been out in the Hood area on their fat bike this season yet? How are conditions? How is the reception from the snowmobilers?
    I was up at Stub Stewart yesterday (12/18) and it was fun but I'm sure the rain will wash all the snow away by the end of this week. So I'm interested in options out near Hood or anything else nearby?

I like Stub or Tillamook forest because they are both about 30 minutes from my house. Looking for a larger network of trails to ride the Trek Farley on though.

Thanks,
    -Pete

mtbr member
    I have seen a few up at Post Canyon of the past few weeks (I was XC skiing) and they looked like they were out there more for novelty than fun. They were busting through crust accompanied with 12" of thick wet snow.

Its all gonna turn to soup and likely wash away in the next few days.

Early last week and over the weekend would of been prime when the now was very firm with grip.... but those conditions are very rare in HR.

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    How about Bennet Sno Park, Trillium, Clear Lake, Lolo Pass, etc?

mtbr member
    I backcountry ski a lot out of the Sno-Parks around Mt Hood. I've seen a few fat bikes over the years. Your biggest problem will be dealing with skiers and snowshoers, weekends can be very busy. You will have no problems with crowds at Bennett Pass or Pocket Creek on weekdays, but there is a higher likelihood that you will be breaking trail.

I've only skied once out of LoLo Pass and saw nobody. You would be stuck to the road though. Never been to Clear Lake and I bet Trillium Lake would be a cluster f*ck to ride.

Another option would be the Lone Butte Sno-Park in Washington. It is just past the upper Falls Creek TH at Oldman Pass. The roads are groomed for the snowmobiles, just pay attention on blind corners, those things haul ass.

You could also try the Frog Lakes Sno-Park, White River East or Road 44.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    We have seen people riding fat bikes out of frog lake, but you will encounter a lot of snowmobiles on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    so related to this thinking about renting a fat bike and heading up to mt. hood and doing timberline to town trail...in regards to that is that a sking trail in the winter...I dont want f up some groomed trail for the winter skiers...