mtbr member

Holy MOLY! Oregon MTB is awesome!

Yes, no surprise to you guys.

We just got back from the "Super Duper Evil MTB Vacation - NW". Thanks to all for the
    suggestions of where and what to ride. I have hours of awesome video footage to sift through.

We rode:

Post Canyon (Hood River)
    Surveyor's Ridge (Hood River area)
    A combo of Phil's, Upper/Lower Whoops, and a zig-zag of trails in that area. (Bend)
    Dread and Terror (Umpqua)
    Tioga (Umpqua)
    The Alpine Trail (Oakridge)
    MRT (Willamette)

It was fantastic!

We got about 135 miles of trails in over 7 days straight.

I just about broke my right leg on day 1 while hiking over and slipping into a log jam in the
    Oneonta Gorge. "Save the camera!" Got the egg-sized knot on the shin and that pain...you
    know that pain. The kind that just overwhelms? Fortunately, it had no adverse affect on my
    ability to ride. Whew!

Then, on day two, we met up with David, Jay and Andy who graciously took us on a tour
    of a couple of the loops on Surveyor's Ridge. Up at the top of the first climb (I think), we
    came across a "skinny" that everyone gave a go. I got up on it and made it to the high
    part where, for some stupid reason, I fixated on the big support log and proceeded to bail
    off to the left and right into it. I flipped and went down (a pretty long way) and landed on
    my extended left arm - bending the middle and ring fingers backwards. The arm crumpled
    and I augured into the trail with my head and left shoulder. "I'm ok!" I now think I might have
    broken a rib because now, whenever I cough or sneeze, I feel like someone is stabbing me
    in the ribs under the left scapula. OWW! Fortunately, this really didn't start hurting until
    the final day of riding. A week of crappy Super 8 motel beds probably didn't help.

It's really tough to say what was the favorite trail. It was all so good! You folks in OR have
    some of the most beautiful trails I ridden so far. Yes, even better that the Sierra Nevada's
    stuff that really left a mark on my soul 2 years ago.

I now know where the RV will be stopping regularly for part of the summers starting in
    about 6 years.

I'll be working up some videos as soon as possible. Stay tuned.

And thanks again for all your help in making this such a great vacation!
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

meatier showers
    Way to go. Glad you didn't die in Oregon.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

DOD Member
    Interesting sport we have. Here is a guy that is battered and bruised,,,and raving about the trails that beat him up.
    MaxSteel

Known Mountainbiker

I've said it before...

...and I'll say it again, "We've got the best backyard!!!"

Caz

Scar tissue is a mtber's badge of honor when acquired properly.
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Nothing to see here, move along.
    2008 Heckler

mtbr member
    Great to meet you and Tracey on the shuttle. We do have an awesome backyard out here. When I get back to Tejas on business, I'll look you folks up in Austin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon
    Great to meet you and Tracey on the shuttle. We do have an awesome backyard out here. When I get back to Tejas on business, I'll look you folks up in Austin.
    Please do...look us up, if and when you get down this way. We'll be happy to show you the
    best-of-the-best trails that we have. Not OR pretty or epic, but one hell of a technical workout.

And we know where the best BBQ is!

-- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    The route we rode was 8-mile, Bottle Prairie, Knebal Springs off of FS44, south of Parkdale. Surveyors Ridge is a bit to the north. That bail you did over the log was really impressive, straight over the bars with both wheels dead vertical over your head. I've seen a broken collarbone on much less, so I'm glad it didn't end your riding, but it is too bad we didn't get it on film. I took my licks in Posty last weekend, got stumped right in the hip bone.

Get in touch when you come back through.

-David