DILLIGAF

Hillsboro area recommendations

I will be in the Hillsboro area on business and will have the weekend of Feb 2 free. Would love to ride but don't want the hassle of packing my bike so I am thinking I will bring pedals and gear and rent something. Is there any place to rent a bike?

What is the must ride trail system in the surrounding area? I am all about technical singletrack but "usually" bypass the jumps and drops.

Anyone want to show me the goods?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm not sure about renting a bike, but I lived in Forest Grove for a few years (just west of Hillsboro) and rode the Wilson River Trail in the Tillamook Forest during the winter. As long as it isn't snow covered it is a good ride. Be ready to climb

The Dude Abides
    Closest areas to ride are Browns Camp (Rodgers Camp), Storey Burn, Gales Creek, Wilson River Trail, and Hagg Lake. Hagg Lake is a county part and has a $5 day us fee. All are with in 30min of Hilsborrito.

Not sure about renting.
    This aggression will not stand, man.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Rentals? Not sure outside of Portland. You could call Santiam Bicycle in Tigard and ask about a demo. Otherwise Fat Tire Farm in Portland has some good rentals.

As far as trails, just about everything in the Tillamook Forest (trails listed above) have some amount of snow. And it isn't soft and fluffy, more like hard and icy. Some of the WRT should be rideable around Jones Creek and Footbridge areas. Hagg lake will be snow free and since it is off season, no day use fee. However, it will be quite wet and sloppy in many places.

So your choices are limited. There is some MTB only singletrack in Stub Stewart State Park. The lower trails of Rocky Pt near Scappoose are open and in decent shape. You could go out to the gorge for Syncline or Trail 400. But that's about all in this vicinity. A couple hours south will be Dallas trails and Black Rock. not sure about the snow scenario there.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

Get to dah choppah
    A good place to rent a bike is Fat Tire Farm. It's in Portland.

If you rent from there you can ride around Forest Park, which is literally just up the street. They can give you directions and there is a map. It's dual-use and mostly not single track though.

In the winter most trails will be too wet. The typical exception is the Wilson River Trail. It's a very nice ride and drains well also. The stretch from the forestry center to Keenig Creek is a good bet. It's often ridden one way (uphill) on the road.

http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamooks...ig_cr_2009.pdf

I don't know if i can join you but i will see if you are interested.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    I wouldn't do Browns Camp or gales Creek right now. Nor Hagg Lake, too muddy. I'd ride the Wilson River trail, or Stub Stewart out there.

DILLIGAF
    Thanks for all the responses! Wilson River Trail sounds cool, I think I will try that...

icsloppl, check your PM.

Obviously Single

Not Hagg in Feb

Quote Originally Posted by theeric View Post
    Closest areas to ride are Browns Camp (Rodgers Camp), Storey Burn, Gales Creek, Wilson River Trail, and Hagg Lake. Hagg Lake is a county part and has a $5 day us fee. All are with in 30min of Hilsborrito.

Not sure about renting.
    Hagg Lake is not a **** choice during the winter, unless you manage to ride when it's below freezing. Too much mud.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    I'm really disappointed this was not a thread on recommended Taco-Trucks.

mtbr member
    Aloha has some AWESOME taco trucks.