mtbr member
    Sep 2009

High Cascade 24 hr. info. needed

I have entered in the High Cascade 24 hr. race on Sept. 8 and don't have time to preride the course. I have a few questions I hope someone out there can answer.
    1) It looks like there are about 6 miles of double track on the loop. Is this doubletrack uphill or downhill and is it the first or second uphill/downhill on the profile?
    2) Is this a technical course, or fun flowly type of ride?
    3) Is the course in the trees or is it more exposed?
    4) Is the pit area well lit, or do I need a lantern to light up my pit area?
    I'm just trying to figure out what to expect and maybe how to plan a bit. I'll be doing solo SS, probably without any pit help, and any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1) The first 2/3 of the double track is really a gravel road that is generally uphill. Last 1/3 is flat with a tiresome true double track climb at the end.
    2) The course is not terribly technical. It is demanding though--at least the 10 or so miles of singletrack.
    3) The course is mostly in the trees, except for the fire road section.
    4) Pit area has no lights. Just the transition area is lit. Bring your own lights.

It's dusty as a mofo. Trails are very loose with sand. It gets colder than a witch's titty at night. Hydration, esp during the day is critical--it's a very dry climate. Good luck. I'll be back again this year. See you there. Have fun with the SS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I did solo SS last year (not gonna make it this year but I'll be back next year). If you haven't done a 24hr solo before, gear easier than you think you need. I rode 32x22 on a 29er. 32x20 would have been perfect, but it was my first 24 so I'm glad I had the 22t. The climbing isn't bad. I'm not a very talented mountain biker, and I didn't find the course technical at all, except for a couple of 50ft sections. Good luck, and have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Course descriptions are spot on as stated above. The transistion area changed this year to the paved area though.