mtbr member

Hide & Seek - How would you describe it?

Blessed we Portlanders (and all Oregonians) be to have the Sandy ridge trail system! There's all types of trails: mild XC on laura's loop, dirt jumps on the Monkey trail/TNT, and the larger jumps and rock gardens past Rock drop, and, of course, good old Hide and Seek.

How would you describe Hide and Seek to someone who has never ridden Sandy ridge? Is it XC? Trail? AM? I'm just curious to see how others would classify it. I'm guessing its rated as "intermediate" on the map by the trailhead, but I'm wondering how people would describe it in other terms.
    Last edited by Slurry; 01-17-2012 at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    I have never ridden there. I am super excited to check it out when I move back to the Portland area in May.

Making fat cool since '71
    It's a high speed rooted joy ride. I don't go for the XC/AM/etc tags. I've only been there on my every day rig (On-One 456 summer) and it was right at home on everything at Sandy. Took a bit of work to keep up with the local rippers on their 5'+ rigs but so fun. It rides like a river trail on steroids. Super fast, lots of roots, some rocks, grade reversals and lots of shallow turns.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry View Post
    Blessed we Portlanders (and all Oregonians) be to have the Sandy ridge trail system! There's all types of trails: mild XC on laura's loop, dirt jumps on the Monkey trail/TNT, and the larger jumps and rock gardens past Rock drop, and, of course, good old Hide and Seek.

How would you describe Hide and Seek to someone who has never ridden Sandy ridge? Is it XC? Trail? AM? I'm just curious to see how others would classify it. I'm guess its rated as "intermediate" on map by the trailhead, but I'm wondering how people would describe it in other terms.
    It's a trail that crosses country in a mountainous area so it is fair to call it XC/trail/AM.

I would describe it as: a modern mtb-specific flow trail, best appreciated by enthusiastic intermediate skill level or above.

The thing that makes it so different is we have very few trails on public land in this area that have been designed by mountain bikers specifically for mountain biking. It's hard to understand what that means until you've ridden a trail like that.

Sometimes I say stupid things

Metalheadbikerider

A badass....

mtb-specific, xc trail built by and for mtb'ers (with a road climb).
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry View Post

How would you describe Hide and Seek to someone who has never ridden Sandy ridge? Is it XC? Trail? AM? I'm just curious to see how others would classify it. I'm guess its rated as "intermediate" on map by the trailhead, but I'm wondering how people would describe it in other terms.
    Absolute goodness

If one were having to tag it, I would call it AM trails for the most part since you have to climb a road to get to it (can't shuttle it technically), it has some pedally sections coming down and many "trail like" features, but also plenty of lips, tables, burms, jumps, rock gardens, rock drops/square hits to make it not total XC. And with new addition of "Two Turntables and a Microwave", it adds some more gravity, bomber descending type of riding as well (mini-DH feel).

Probably the most notably thing about Sandy is that just about any kind of bike will do and have fun on it (HT, 9'er, SS, trail bike, 6-7", etc). Even my co-worker who rarely rides at all, took her twins down lower H&S with a baby carrier attached to her HT and loved it...crazy!

IMO, it's the best thing to happen for Portland area mtb'ers ever! And worth hitting and checking out if from any other place as well.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    It sounds super fun. I am anxiously counting the days till I can once again leave the god forsaken midwest

mtbr member
    Can I ride Sandy Ridge with a flat handlebar and a big chainring?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I never spin out on my 32t middle ring fwiw. I'm not very fast though.. Bars are personal preference. It's not an ideal place for either a dh bike or a cx bike, but something in between. The bike I was riding ten years ago would still work just fine at Sandy and I'd have a good time on it, I know that much.

Sometimes I say stupid things

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yep !
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    How about one of those outdated nonadjustable type seatposts?

mtbr member
    Can I ride Sandy Ridge with a flat handlebar and a big chainring? How about one of those outdated nonadjustable type seatposts?
    No way, you'll "poke your eye out" with one of those things. Suspension seatposts (ei; Thudbuster) is the only thing that will get you down those trails safely in one piece. Anything else and you are puting your life and nads at risk to permanent injury

BTW, just got back from sick "POW" day on bike in the Gorge. Riding through the rocks was like riding on top of toasted marshmellows Followed a fresh big bear track on bike through the snow as well...eeerie
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw View Post

The thing that makes it so different is we have very few trails on public land in this area that have been designed by mountain bikers specifically for mountain biking. It's hard to understand what that means until you've ridden a trail like that.
    heh, just like what happened when Dreamland started building skateparks - real parks by skateboarders. we're benefitting...this trail system is unfreakingreal.

mtbr member
    So here's a question.. If Sandy is a mtb specific trail, what are all the other area trails?? I know that most of the time the only way to get permission is to build multi-use, but I'm really curious to know how many area trails were built mainly for hiking and now just get used for mtb?

I know hiking is a real stronghold here and probably has been for many decades, but how much have mtbers borrowed vs created their own?

Being from the South, I'm accustomed to mtb trails always being mtb specific, with flow being the highest priority. Of course it wasn't always like that, in the late 90s there was a lot more borrowed from hiking, but since the mtb trails got better, the old hiking trails are on the verge of disappearing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    So here's a question.. If Sandy is a mtb specific trail, what are all the other area trails?? I know that most of the time the only way to get permission is to build multi-use, but I'm really curious to know how many area trails were built mainly for hiking and now just get used for mtb?
    I am not going to pretend to know the comprehensive history of Pacific NW trails but I do know why many of them are there and it has nothing to do with hiking for hiking's sake. A lot of our trails were built for utilitarian purposes. Some were to access fire lookouts. Some were to access mines. Some accessed logging or hunting camps. Some are old trade routes or Indian trails. We are certainly not the only user group that has inherited existing trails.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Metalheadbikerider

You got it DJ G

A lot of them came as a result of the CCC.

"At the end of July 1933, Regional Forester C.J. Buck reported that 34 CCC camps in Oregon and Washington were successfully utilizing side camps to meet work objectives. There were 104 camps, ranging from 1 to 50 men each and totaling 1,423 men. [16] Work projects included construction and maintenance of truck trails, hiking trails, and telephone lines; construction of lookout towers and houses; work on boundary and timber surveys; and construction of fire lines."

The Forest Service and The Civilian Conservation Corps: 1933-42 (Chapter 8)
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Yes, CCC came to mind when I first rode WRT, couldn't figure any other way that could have been made.

if people would have hoarded their money a little longer instead of being spend-crazy to help the economy maybe they would bring back the CCC and we could have 1,423 men building mtb trails now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    Yes, CCC came to mind when I first rode WRT, couldn't figure any other way that could have been made.

if people would have hoarded their money a little longer instead of being spend-crazy to help the economy maybe they would bring back the CCC and we could have 1,423 men building mtb trails now
    I can't say for sure, but I believe the WRT trail is a relatively new trail built by inmate crews and for hire trail builders.

A lot of the trails that we ride and place that we enjoy in Oregon were built by the CCC, It's definitely something we should all be proud of.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Boring road climb! Upper part is a rocky descent while the lower is a mix of dirt/brick/gravel lower. A great example of what can happen when a community of folks work together. A must ride for any local rider.