Thread: Hi neighbors

Bikes are good

Hi neighbors

Sort of. I'm in Alaska and quasi planning a trip to Oregon this summer. My friends are raving about Oak Ridge. I like cross country riding, but if I'm going to travel I really like to ride stuff that I can justify having a Turner 5 Spot (Big suspension trail bike) on. Buff winding singletrack is fun, but not necessary to have a FS bike for ya know? So my question is, where in Oregon are there places that you "need", or would enjoy more on a full travel trail bike? We'll have a vehicle and have time to go everywhere.

Thanks for your time. If you are ever in AK, let me know and I can share with you our trails.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    I think the 5Spot would be a good choice for Oakridge. The trails, for the most part, aren't very technical, but they are super fast. The last time I was down there one of the guys in our group said we hit 38 mph on the descent, I can't remember which trail we were on though.

And if you ride the Middle Fork of the Willamette, you’ll really appreciate the 5Spot on the upper trail for sure.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    5 Spot would be okay, but a HT is great for everything around Oakridge. OHM does make a great point in regards to speed. There are a few places in Oakridge where you will be FLYING.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Bikes are good
    So I think for a trip like that, sounds like a 29r is fine. In which case, I want to keep looking for somewhere that would justify my 5 spot and all it's awesomeness. We don't have tons up here that you NEED a 5 + inch travel bike for, and those are my favorite trails. Anywhere else in Oregon that would qualify? Big chunky rocks, steep technical descents and climbing, xcountry trail with some gnarly in it? Thanks.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Making fat cool since '71
    Oregon doesn't have a lot of chunky. There's some, but not a ton. Oakridge has a lot of steep and super fast...and some really technical stuff for sure...but not the chunk you speak of. I do a lot of guiding/riding in the state and ride a long-legged/super slack hardtail for 80% of my riding and am rarely faster on the big squish than on the hardtail but I'm a bit of a grumpy nut.

Having said all that, come to Oakridge, bring the Spot and then there will, essentially, be NOTHING you can not ride. You'll be able to bag and rip everything: Oakridge for a few days, Blackrock for a day, Hood River...done.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.