mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Here we go again...

Reported from one of my Thursday night riding crew. Another break-in in the Tilly at the Rogers Camp parking area..

Car break-in (not mine) happened at approximately 6pm. We showed up to trailhead and 1/2 hour prior this suv had been broken into. Don't leave anything visible!
    Smash & Grab: A guy's suv was broken into to steal a gym bag with a bunch of stinky clothes. Unfortuneately, window and lost time to get repaired will be pain in the ass for everyone else but selfish scumbags.
    Perpetrators are perported to be 3qty 30-40 year old males (see what happens when you are missing all your teeth?) driving a 70's era or early 80's turquoise blue (unmistakeable) japanese sedan-y type vehicle.
    ******-bags (sp?) were apparently brazen, bold, strongly men of men. They sped away pretty quick when a witness drove into lot.
    Take home message: Don't leave things visible.
    2nd take home message - wire your car with high-voltage system when touched by perpetrator.
    That is all I have to report.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Sounds like the same guys police have been tracking.

Afric Pepperbird
    I mentioned this before, and I'll say it again...

It's time for "sting" operation. Leave some valuables, have some riders just wait behind some trees, well hidden. And wait as long as necessary.

Then, the best part, is give the tweakers a good beat down. Knock out their one remaining tooth. Make them remember it for all time. Tweakers aren't like crackheads of the 80's.... they rarely are armed.

Maybe this is just the sadistic part of me talking, but I'd love to do it.

mtbr member
    Giving the tweekers a beat down would be fun, but I think slapping the people that leave wallets, credit cards and cash in their vehicles at TH’s would be much more affective.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Giving the tweekers a beat down would be fun, but I think slapping the people that leave wallets, credit cards and cash in their vehicles at TH’s would be much more affective.
    What about those that only leave dirty gym bags?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    What about those that only leave dirty gym bags?
    My theory, which is most likely flawed in one way or another, is in learned behavior. If people stop leaving these items in their vehicles at the TH's, the tweekers would stop breaking in...and the people that leave dirty gym bags will benefit too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My car was hit yesterday too in the Brown's camp parking lot along with a white SUV. Two guys in a turquiose late 90's Civic actually came up to me as I was unloading my bike and ask me about cell phone reception out there. They were still mulling around as I rode off. In hindsight it was really suspicious but it didn't really sink in until I was out on my ride. Stole my pants, phone, backpack etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Man, that sucks you got hit. I purposefully did not ride at Brown's Camp yesterday because of that risk. Did you happen to get the plate number, or part of it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I mentioned this before, and I'll say it again...

It's time for "sting" operation. Leave some valuables, have some riders just wait behind some trees, well hidden. And wait as long as necessary.

Then, the best part, is give the tweakers a good beat down. Knock out their one remaining tooth. Make them remember it for all time. Tweakers aren't like crackheads of the 80's.... they rarely are armed.

Maybe this is just the sadistic part of me talking, but I'd love to do it.
    I'm on the same page here. I wish the browns camp riders would organize and provide a deterrent. This is BS and should not stand! As a mountainbiker, surfer, and rockclimber who has traveled quite a bit in pursuit of these activities (and left my car at many a trailhead) I have never been anywhere where the people who frequent these areas wouldn't kick some ass. What gives Oregon?
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 09-15-2011 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have to respectfully disagree with you here. While this is sound reasoning if you parked your car in Manhattan or New Orleans should we really concede to this nonsense in our backyard for a 1.5 hour bike ride? Not to be antagonistic (always like your posts) but I think this is backwards. What do you say to a guy like myself that can only ride directly after work and has a van full of tools?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with you here. While this is sound reasoning if you parked your car in Manhattan or New Orleans should we really concede to this nonsense in our backyard for a 1.5 hour bike ride? Not to be antagonistic (always like your posts) but I think this is backwards. What do you say to a guy like myself that can only ride directly after work and has a van full of tools?
    No offence taken, and I agree, we shouldn't have to deal with this, but I don't think a beat down will really help either. As long as there is meth around, and people willing to use the crap, we'll have to suffer, but like I mentioned, my theory is somewhat flawed. Although these ******bags are mostly after cash or credit cards, they'll take anything that they can turn for quick cash.

Last summer my vehicle was broke into and the a-holes took my clothes and the driver side master control panel for the door locks and windows, this alone was $500+ fix. Believe me, I thought of many creative ways to get back.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yep, you could shoot every Meth addict and more would be in waiting being birthed in dysfunctional families. It is like in my neighborhood they trapped a bunch of coyotes but they returned in time. Same deal with drug addicts. It would be fun to blast a Meth addict with some buck shot!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I guess my thinking to Jaybo & Oldhouseman is if there was a known deterrent at a certain trailhead the methheads would steer clear as they are opportunistic and don't like confrontation. I am basing this theory on known similar scenarios (surf trailheads in Hawaii and Cali and rockclimbing trailhead in New Paltz NY, and mtb trailhead in NC) Without going into to much detail riffraff know to stay clear of these areas as they or their crackhead friends have been pounded there before. This especially rings true at some of the Hawaii surf spots as nobody in the know would dare touch a car there. My guess is this could easily be duplicated at several popular OR trailheads

mtbr member
    Just playing devils advocate here, I think we both would rather not have to deal with this.

I agree, the methheads are opportunistic, but you can't patrol all TH's, and if you did get them to stay away from your favorite TH by handing out the occasional whooping, you'd just be moving the problem somewhere else.

mtbr member
    My theory, which is most likely flawed in one way or another, is in learned behavior. If people stop leaving these items in their vehicles at the TH's, the tweekers would stop breaking in...and the people that leave dirty gym bags will benefit too.
    Your point needs to be said. Anybody that leaves a wallet or cell phone in their car is part of the problem. These guys know which trees bear fruit. They will stop when the risk is greater than the reward.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I did send an email to ODF last week and got the following reply. Glad they are least taking it seriously and passing it along to law enforcement. So those affected over the last week or two, if you have specifics, such as descriptions of the ******s, post them so we all can watch out for them in case they use a different vehicle.

Thank you very much for the information and for taking the time and energy to contact us; we really appreciate it.

I passed your information on to recreation and other managers of our Tillamook State Forest in our Forest Grove and Tillamook Districts, and also our Tillamook Forest Center. They have forwarded that information on to our law enforcement authorities who may contact you if they have questions or need additional information.

Thank you again –
    Let us know if you need anything else or have any questions.

troubled economist

Update: Suspect arrested

In my inbox this AM, some good news.

"Hello Everyone,

Great news! I just got this information from our Forest Deputies at the Tillamook County Sheriff’s Office. After many hours of investigative work, they have made an arrest in connection with the rash of vehicle break-ins that took place over the summer.

Here is a link to the press release:

Bay City man arrested on mulitple theft charges - Tillamook Headlight-Herald: News

Great work by our partners at Tillamook County Sheriff’s Office.

Stephanie A. Beall
    Recreation Coordinator
    Tillamook State Forest"
    dig...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is great news! Hopefully, they get the accomplisses as well.

But of course, this is overshadowed by the NWTA trailer theft...
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toowacky View Post
    In my inbox this AM, some good news.

"Hello Everyone,

Great news! I just got this information from our Forest Deputies at the Tillamook County Sheriff’s Office. After many hours of investigative work, they have made an arrest in connection with the rash of vehicle break-ins that took place over the summer.

Here is a link to the press release:

Bay City man arrested on mulitple theft charges - Tillamook Headlight-Herald: News

Great work by our partners at Tillamook County Sheriff’s Office.

Stephanie A. Beall
    Recreation Coordinator
    Tillamook State Forest"

Good news. By the looks of the dude, I wonder who would have received the beat down.

Take Chances
    Great news! I think jail time is too soft for this. Now sure what should be done.

mtbr member
    We need to bring back "public stocks", locks the db's in for a few days let children throw rotten food at them. Then chain them at the trailhead and make them kiss the arse of every trail user until their lips rot.
    Just say'n
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is a report from a friend of mine who went the crooks hearing to testify around 12/9/11:

"I went to the grand jury hearing yesterday to testify.

My hearing was at 2:00 and they had been at it all day and it went on after I left, they had us in groups of 5, All the people that they could actually tie to the thief’s activities (there were many where to ties were too weak). Anyway we (one at a time had our private audience) told them our sad tale. His activities date back into 2009. There was a lull in activity when he spent some time in jail (for property crimes).

Turns out the guy that was sitting next to me in the hall was key in catching him. He was a quad rider from St Helens that camps a lot at Browns Camp. He was going camping up there later one day (just getting dark) and the thief stopped to talk to him just chit chat like a lot of people do and he (the thief) apparently asked if he up there by himself … well the hair went up on the back of the guys neck and made a note of the guys vehicle and lic number. Both parted way and he went out riding. When he got back his car was broken into and fleeced of valuables. He went to Rogers camp and called the police from the top of the hill. The sheriff was on his way back to Tillamook when he saw the car matching the description going the other way. He turned around and stopped him had he had a car full of stuff that appeared not to belong to him so they issued a search warrant on his house and found stuff tying him to the thievery. Now they are in the process of gathering as much evidence as possible.

Hope they can keep him in jail now, but their problem was that property crimes were low on the list of priorities. He’s presently in jail but has his lawyers working on his release. First hearing for release was yesterday (denied because there wasn’t time to notify us victims) the next hearing is next Thursday.

His usual pattern was look for a lone car along Hwy 6 or in the forest along the highway, stop and talk to them innocently if they were by the car, and comeback when they had left to go riding or fishing etc. and break in, take what he could and race to Hillsboro getting gas at the Shell station in Gales Creek on a stolen card, then spend as much as he could on the cards at Best Buy, Sports Authority, Home Depot, where ever, getting high priced items and gift cards. Nothing of the big stuff was found so police speculate it must have been fenced off by selling it through the back door of pawn shops. A lot of gift cards were found (hard to tie back)."

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by sideup View Post
    This is a report from a friend of mine who went the crooks hearing to testify around 12/9/11:

"I went to the grand jury hearing yesterday to testify.

My hearing was at 2:00 and they had been at it all day and it went on after I left, they had us in groups of 5, All the people that they could actually tie to the thief’s activities (there were many where to ties were too weak). Anyway we (one at a time had our private audience) told them our sad tale. His activities date back into 2009. There was a lull in activity when he spent some time in jail (for property crimes).

Turns out the guy that was sitting next to me in the hall was key in catching him. He was a quad rider from St Helens that camps a lot at Browns Camp. He was going camping up there later one day (just getting dark) and the thief stopped to talk to him just chit chat like a lot of people do and he (the thief) apparently asked if he up there by himself … well the hair went up on the back of the guys neck and made a note of the guys vehicle and lic number. Both parted way and he went out riding. When he got back his car was broken into and fleeced of valuables. He went to Rogers camp and called the police from the top of the hill. The sheriff was on his way back to Tillamook when he saw the car matching the description going the other way. He turned around and stopped him had he had a car full of stuff that appeared not to belong to him so they issued a search warrant on his house and found stuff tying him to the thievery. Now they are in the process of gathering as much evidence as possible.

Hope they can keep him in jail now, but their problem was that property crimes were low on the list of priorities. He’s presently in jail but has his lawyers working on his release. First hearing for release was yesterday (denied because there wasn’t time to notify us victims) the next hearing is next Thursday.

His usual pattern was look for a lone car along Hwy 6 or in the forest along the highway, stop and talk to them innocently if they were by the car, and comeback when they had left to go riding or fishing etc. and break in, take what he could and race to Hillsboro getting gas at the Shell station in Gales Creek on a stolen card, then spend as much as he could on the cards at Best Buy, Sports Authority, Home Depot, where ever, getting high priced items and gift cards. Nothing of the big stuff was found so police speculate it must have been fenced off by selling it through the back door of pawn shops. A lot of gift cards were found (hard to tie back)."
    Makes me think of this....... Dirty Harry 1971 quote - YouTube
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail