Up & Down

Herd of Elk in Forest Park

I got out of work early yesterday and took off for a quick ride in forest park. Parked in the small lot off Skyline near Germantown, and headed down Newton. I wasn't much past where is crosses Wildwood when I'm surprised to find 4 Elk right on the path in front of me. I knew there were some blacktail deer in the park, but I had no idea there were elk. I thought maybe they got lost. I watched them for a bit, wowed by there ability to pick a line and disappear through the woods. I round the next corner and spook about 20-30 more elk. They take off and I stop again in disbelief. Wowed by their grace and the fact that there's a huge herd of elk in forest park.

As for the rest of the ride, there's a ton of branches all over Newton and back up firelane 12. There's 2 down trees across the trail on the way down Newton, and two on the way up F12. Otherwise the condition is great. The climb up F12 and the BPA road did a fine job of reminding me that I'm completely out of shape. I love having a place like forest park so close to town. And, I wish Skyline had wider shoulders. I don't understand how roadies can enjoy a long ride on it. Just a short span makes me want to jump right back on a trail.

PS- Any recommend rides in The Dalles. Heading there this weekend and would love something close to town. I've ridden in Hood River and looking for something new. Thanks.

Singletrack Addict
    wow, that's cool!

I imagine with all the snow this year the elk are wandering flower and lower.

As fer Dalles riding, the Deschutes River rail-trail is out there. Pretty much like riding Leif, except out in the wide-open sage brush. No climbing or s-track, but a good pretty cruise.
    I'm sure there's got to be something else out there. (Let us know when you find out.)

mtbr member

Elk sighting

That's totally wild. I would have never guessed there are elk up there. I''ve seen deer on rarer occasions and heard tell of people spotting a bear, but ELK?! Cool. Better take the camera next time

Cheezy Rider
    Very cool, I ran into a herd of elk during the Test of Endurance last year. It's pretty awesome to pop offf a trail onto a road and have a dozen elk about 20 feet from you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thats crazy, I've seen a few deer and some coyotes but never elk

mtbr member
    Elk are nice to look at but stay clear if they are in Rut. I have read of several people trampled to death in Jasper National Park (Alberta, Ca) who have came across them while riding trails. The parks people put out warnings along trails to stay away from the Elk during this time. The last time I was there two bikers got trampled by elk and one guy got it from a Griz. I know that there is also several large herds in the Dallas area too. Just info if your on the trails out there. Rut is usually end of Sept to end of Oct in Oregon, Fall/Autum riding for us.

MattSavage
    Forget the wild animals, I'd watch out for the Elves! I fell asleep one time out past Germantown and they stole the cleats off my shoes! Little buggers...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Elves, thats funny. In other enchanted forests of the world they have elves in Portland's we have them too but they are know also as TWEEKERS, they would take the stickers off your bike if they were worth something. I bet you had brass cleets, brass is like gold to the PDX elves.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    i saw a big herd, but it was closer to Skyline and corn-pass. Driving to work one morning, thought it was just a herd of cows cause of the fog, but i had to take a 2nd look. It was a huge herd right there in the field. Kinda weird to see a herd of elk that close to civilization. kinda weird, but cool.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member

Say hello to Bullwinkle

This was in Spokane a couple years ago but more or less the same thing. I was riding the High Drive trails just above downtown (a little like Forest Park) when I rounded a corner and saw a moose in the trail. She didn't drop her ears and I just backed off (they are huge) but managed to snap this picture as she went up the hill a little and stopped to look back at me. All this on a trail system surrounded by city. A few days later the Sheriffs had to dart a couple and move them out of a cemetary because they were eating a wreath at a grave site before the funeral procession arrived!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRider
    This was in Spokane a couple years ago but more or less the same thing. I was riding the High Drive trails just above downtown (a little like Forest Park) when I rounded a corner and saw a moose in the trail. She didn't drop her ears and I just backed off (they are huge) but managed to snap this picture as she went up the hill a little and stopped to look back at me.

When I lived and rode in Utah I used to see a moose or two about once every couple of weeks during the last year I was there. They always freak me out. I was always afraid I was going to get trampled or something. They are just freaking huge. In fact that summer was great. It was as if in the last couple of weeks before the move all of the animals were coming out to say goodbye. I saw the family of moose, deer, a fox (the only one I ever say riding), and I am pretty sure I saw the ass-end of a wolf or something running down the trail. All in the last week I was there. Too bad I never carried a camera. The doe was leading me by about 20 yards while we were both going down the trail for a couple of hundred yards before she turned off. Good times.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I believe that's known as the power line herd of Elk and is well known to residents in the area. the Oregon department of fish and game has tracked that herd for decades and although it ebbs and flows it's believed to number around 40. Many of them have radio collars. They are known to travel the power line corridors from the park all the way to the wildlife refuge in the Mist area.

Metalheadbikerider

There's also bear and mt. lion....

in FP. Not to mention the people that live there.

FP may not have great singletrack, but we sure are lucky to have it so close to town.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org