mtbr member

Help planning trip to MRT

Want to plan a trip to the MRT with me and a couple friends. None of us for some reason or another have never been there. Just wanted to know the best time to go for weather and how busy it gets. Also if you know a good campground. Is there a best way to ride it? Any info would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Paradise campground is at the bottom end of the trail.
    2018 Transition Patrol

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc
    Paradise campground is at the bottom end of the trail.
    Well actually, Paradise CG is NEAR the bottom of the trail... there remains about a mile and a half to the west trailhead beyond Paradise. Paradise is a good place to camp if you want to do virtually the whole trail. I like to ride up the trail past the two big waterfalls (Sahalie & Koosah), around Clear Lake and then back "down." But that's around 50 miles. Trailbridge Reservoir is another great place to camp, about 1/3 to 1/2 way from the lower trailhead. My favorite section of MRT is just above Trailbridge -- the "wilderness" section that goes through Tamolich Valley. The famous "Blue Pool" (actually Tamolich Falls) is there.

MRT is VERY popular with hikers, especially the Tamolich section. Go mid-week so you don't have to keep greeting hikers and frequently stop to get off your bike in an effort to be accommodating and friendly.

The mosquitos are usually gone by mid-August. Except maybe this year, due to all the snow we got last winter. Better make it after Labor Day.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sparty thats the info I was looking for!

Known Mountainbiker
    There's also hobo camps near Deer Creek Hot Spring which is up about three miles past Belknap Hot Springs which is up about 1.5miles up from Paridise. Belknap will cost you about 5 bucks for an after ride soak and Deer Creek is free except you have to hang out with naked hippies who think they have an interesting life and want to tell you all about it. (not that there's anything wrong with naked hippies who think they have interesting lives and want to tell you all about it)

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    The campgrounds mentioned are great. If you do want to check out the camping at Deer Springs, turn off and drop left down the dirt road before the bridge. Go down a short bit and and then take one of the last rights toward the river. The best campsites are back there. Walk around a bit and you will find a great one. The only issue is lack of toilet. Then the springs are on the other side of the bridge, go downstream.
    Also, you can buy a 50 cent map from the Ranger Station towards the bottom of the trail that is detailed enough and shows mileage.
    For riding the trail, we shuttle many people and have learned: Although you might think you want to ride up the trail and back or try and do a few laps, for your first visit I would recommend starting at the top of the trail and riding down, do the trail once. The trail is going to take longer than you expected. There are two routes around the top lake, some people get lost, others find the lava rock harder and others are blown away at the beauty and want take photos. Knee and elbow guards never hurt for the top section either. Take extra food and make sure you have a first aid kit on you.
    If you are there with one car, use it to get you all to the trailhead and then have one person hitch back up. If you stand on the side of the road with your helmet and camelback, you should not have to wait long.
    I called the Ranger Station a week or so ago and was told there is still a lot of snow on the top section of the trail, but by the end of May the trail should be all clear. It is great all season long, be nice to hikers (announce your presence) and have a great time. Oh, and if you check it out in the fall, all the trees in the lava near the top turn red and look like mini lava explosions, always very cool!
    Cheers.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Awsome, Thanks Cog

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just drove Hwy 20 yesterday. There is somewhere around 10 feet of snow at the interesection of Hwy 20 and Hwy 126. I don't see riding the entire trail any time soon.
    2 wheels == True

mtbr member
    Two nights ago a friend's wife was driving from Eugene back to Bend and had to stay at Belnap Springs due to a foot of new snow which was dumping while she was trying to drive. Since everyone had taken off their snow tires, the resort was packed with people whose cars were sliding all over the place.
    Not to say the snow won't melt in time for you to be able to ride, but a call to the Forest Service might be a good idea as the top of the trail might be unavailable early in the season.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    I'm thinking late June. Should be good by then you think?

Members who have read this thread: 0