mtbr member

Help me choose 29er tire X post...

I posted this in Wheels & Tires, but thought I'd get my fellow Oregonians' advice...

Need to choose between two tires. My home trails are on the Oregon coast, wet, rooty, & mud, but I will get over to Oakridge & MRT on occasion. I don't have the money to spend on a bunch of tires to trade for conditions. The tires will be run with tubes on Salsa Semi rims, 30mm. Here are the choices:

Michelin XC AT @ 600grms & 2.1
    or
    WTB Stout Race @ 900grms & 2.3

I don't know if the weight is worth the width trade off. The other option is to run both tires, one in front the other in back. Any opinions will be much appreciated.

Metalheadbikerider

I run the Michelins

And think they are a pretty good all arounder, and would ecommend them as such. No experience on the other tire though.
    That weight savings is pretty substantial. If you are doing some climbing, that should make a big difference.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    No continental mountain king? i run the 2.4 up front and love it. Have the 2.2 in the back and seems to work nicely.

otherwise got nothing to add to the other two since i have not used them.

mtbr member
    I stuck to the Stout or the Michelin because they are on closeout specials right now, so they are super cheap. After my original post, I've been reading that lots of people are using the Stout up front and something else on the rear. I may end up buying a set of each and mix-n-match. Thanks for the responses. Anybody else want to chime?

MTB B'dos
    I'm curious how you guys are finding the Micelins on the wet roots and cornering traction with the widely spaced outer knobs? I have 4 of them here to run in the rainy season that I got on sale also, so just wanted some idea if it'll be sketchy on the roots.
    Last edited by LyNx; 03-28-2010 at 07:13 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

FKA Malibu412

A Nev Recommendation

I really like my Nevs on my 26" for wet side conditions.

The 29 Kevlar in 2.2 is at 825 grams advertised and can be had for about $35.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    While I can't help with the tire selection, I'm curious, where on the coast do you live, I'm in Florence. I'm always looking for new folks to ride with.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

rider
    Jan 2005
    I'd say Stout up front and Mich in the rear.

Once those tires are no longer available on the cheap, I'd say just go with a pair of Panaracer Rampage 2.35 29er tires. Hard to beat them for all around use.
    Last edited by 29erchico; 03-29-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Thats what I'm running, love them, year round.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    jollybeggar, I'm down in Coos Bay. I wouldn't be much fun to ride with though. I'm a newbie, a clyde, and 42 years. I crawl trails at a snail's pace. In fact, I rode that 3.5 mile loop at Silt Coos a couple weeks back. Lots of fun, and I can ride it, but I'm in such lousy shape I had to do some uphill pushing. I ride alone so only the trees are embarrassed for me.

mtbr member
    Don't sell yourself short, I'm 53 and most of the guys in our local crew are older than you. We were all newbies once, I for one like to ride at a relaxed pace (read slow). Siltcoos is a great place to ride no matter what your fitness level. We've some great trails in the Florence area, if you want a tour I'd be happy to show you around at your pace. As far as being embarrassed forget about it, we've all been there. As far as I'm concerned if you have the desire to get out, ride, and have fun, your ahead of the curve.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Tires

Can't go wrong with the Panaracer Rampage 2.35's. Good tire for year round riding, especially on the coast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'll cast my vote for the rampages as well. They have been suprisingly good, even a shade better than nevs in my opinion (I assume it's due to width, the tread patterns are near identical).
    Others that I have tried are wtb motoraptors, and exiwolfs. They were only so-so