mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Help with directions to Burma Peak System?

Hello, I'm a relatively new mountain biker from the Salem area. Yesterday some friends and I decided to go try out the Burma Peak System in Dallas. As per recommended, we stopped at a bike shop in Salem for directions. The man we spoke to told us that no map exists and that it would be fairly easy to find anyways. Sadly, we did not find that this was the case.

After climbing up Robb Mill for quite some time, we realized we had no idea where to go. We could find no discernible/marked trailhead (though saw a few paths to the sides that could well have been mtb trails) and eventually came to a fork in the road. We took the road that continued uphill (passing a very large gate) but never found any trailhead. We ended up following along the gravel fire road downhill and came out on someone's property a few miles from our car. I found this was a rather poor decision after hitting some deep gravel at the bottom of a steep decline, managing to scrape the whole left side of my body up.

I'll be recovering for a week or two, but I would like to go back and actually ride the trails (which reviews seems to indicate are pretty nice). Can anyone help me out with some more detailed directions or indicators that should lead to the trailhead?

Thanks guys.

o_jake

P.S. Another person at the bike shop recommended opencyclemaps.org, but I'm a total noob and don't really know how to use this. Any help here?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    More direct way to find Burma Peak is to head out the towards the reservoir for about 3-3.5 miles to where road 1920 junctoins on the right. Climb this for another 3 miles or so. A road will end perpendicular with 1920 on the right, this is main road through the Dallas system that eventually becomes Robb Mill further down (think it is offically 1900 or 1910). Anyways, keep going past this for another 1/4 mile or so and a road will Y off to the right (1925G possibly? but is the first right side intersectoin past the T I mentioned earlier). Go up this road for a couple hundred yards and on the right, the trail disappears into the trees and salal undergrowth. This will be off to the side and about 15-20 away from the road. That is Burma Peak Trail. You ride this trail then it turns into Upper Mud Puddle, crosses a road to Lower Mudd Puddle, then links into Tree Fort which will link into Tanglewood. If you have any other questions, PM me. Otherwise, talk with teh guys at Santiam Bikes in Salem and see when they will have a group ride so you can be given a tour of the trails.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Planning on heading out this way soon.

Any active logging to watch for?
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by o_jake View Post
    Hello, I'm a relatively new mountain biker from the Salem area. Yesterday some friends and I decided to go try out the Burma Peak System in Dallas. As per recommended, we stopped at a bike shop in Salem for directions. The man we spoke to told us that no map exists and that it would be fairly easy to find anyways. Sadly, we did not find that this was the case.

After climbing up Robb Mill for quite some time, we realized we had no idea where to go. We could find no discernible/marked trailhead (though saw a few paths to the sides that could well have been mtb trails) and eventually came to a fork in the road. We took the road that continued uphill (passing a very large gate) but never found any trailhead. We ended up following along the gravel fire road downhill and came out on someone's property a few miles from our car. I found this was a rather poor decision after hitting some deep gravel at the bottom of a steep decline, managing to scrape the whole left side of my body up.

I'll be recovering for a week or two, but I would like to go back and actually ride the trails (which reviews seems to indicate are pretty nice). Can anyone help me out with some more detailed directions or indicators that should lead to the trailhead?

Thanks guys.

o_jake

P.S. Another person at the bike shop recommended opencyclemaps.org, but I'm a total noob and don't really know how to use this. Any help here?
    I would be happy to show you those trails, sadly i'm working out of town so only in the salem area on weekends, with my MBO duties and other plans I would not be available to ride until towards the end of August. Since I've been gone from the area so much I don't even know if they have closed it for fire season, normally I get an email but haven't seen anything this year. You can always check out this site:
    Salem Oregon Mountain Bike Association(SOMBA) (Salem, OR) - Meetup
    to see if anyone has posted a ride.

As you discovered there is no trail head and one needs to know where the trails are, one you are shown them it is a great place to ride.

PM me for more info that I can share with you