Afric Pepperbird

Help! Which day to play hooky?

I was planning on skipping work tomorrow to ride (for the first time this season) Northfork/Flagline.

Today, however, I did a short loop up Ben's to Road 300 and back on Phil's. The trails were a mess! Lots and lots and lots of standing water, with puddles three inches deep! The trail from Road 300 to the Phil's/Kent intersection was a running stream. It was almost like after a big summer T-storm, except there is no warm air to expedite the drying.

So, my question is, assuming Northfork/Flagline received the same amount of rain, will it be fairly dry to ride tomorrow? I don't mind a few muddy sections, but standing water is out! Are there any evaporation experts here?

Or shall I just play hooky on Saturday, instead, and give it another day to heal? Both days are predicted sunny and 72.

Afric Pepperbird
    Jeesh! Don't all shout at once!

Okay, I'll answer my own question....

Yes, I played hooky today, and while the trail was soggy in a few spots, it was near perfect! After the Phil's area monsoon (complete with ponds) yesterday, I had my doubts.

By the way, does anyone else think the Northfork/Flagline loop is a bit overrated? I guess there's a reason I only do it twice a year.

Give me Ponderosa Pines, or Junipers, or Sage... and some wide-open vistas.

please, just ride
    DF trolls, Seedy bites tongue...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer

Yes, I played hooky today, and while the trail was soggy in a few spots, it was near perfect! After the Phil's area monsoon (complete with ponds) yesterday, I had my doubts.
    I left the bike at home and instead hiked up to Broken Top today. The ground was wet and both Bachy and So. Sister had new snow.

By the way, does anyone else think the Northfork/Flagline loop is a bit overrated? I guess there's a reason I only do it twice a year.

You could always ride back and forth on Sector 16 a few times...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Love it all

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer

I would avoid Phil's for a day or two to avoid rutting it--assuming it is a pond.

I love North Fork and Flagline!!!! But that is me...

Nat
    mtbr member
    The stretch of Met/Win from Broken Top TH down to Happy Valley (reverse direction of the NF/Flagline loop) is an awesome descent. It's probably my favorite descent in the immediate area.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    The stretch of Met/Win from Broken Top TH down to Happy Valley (reverse direction of the NF/Flagline loop) is an awesome descent. It's probably my favorite descent in the immediate area.
    Don't get me wrong, it has its moments (some downhills, and the few-and-far-between mountain views).

I guess I just love the Ponderosa eco-zone better. I can't wait for the Sisters area expansion, with miles and miles of big climbs/descents noodling through the pines and junipers. And thumbs up to the Ochocos, too! And I still need to hit Fremont soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0