mtbr member

Heck of a heckletooth ride!

A few of us decided to do what Garro would do...
    we went epic- well, February standars. Ended up riding / post-holing through a fair bit of the white stuff, but with sun and blue skies to calm the nervous system, it wasn't so bad.

We rode Salmon crk and Heckletooth. There is a good amount of blow down, and large trees that will need to be cut out. We moved a bunch of debris on both trails, but they still need our love.

We had about a mile or two in a light dusing of snow, and overall just a gorgeous day!

Shiggy, sorry to hear about your crash on Flat Crk. You'll come out of it we're all sure of-
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

more pics

enjoy- more pics-

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by SSconny
    enjoy- more pics-

Damn, that looks like more than a dusting on the road. That must have ben fun breaking tracks through that!! It looks like Abe found a way to MTB without getting muddy!
    Yeah, there will be plenty of trailwork to do this spring, and we may not be able to access the high country until late this year. Luckily, the DOD is ready to do what it takes to keep our trails clear. With our winter Whypass workouts, our trailwork muscles are in top shape!

I found warmer weather down in the Umpqua NF yesterday. Photos to come soon.
    Here's a teaser.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

meatier showers

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by SSconny
    enjoy- more pics-
    You really got up there! Way to go. I wouldn't have thought you could get up nearly that high after the snow that came down last week.

Cool!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

dusty paw tracks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    I found warmer weather down in the Umpqua NF yesterday. Photos to come soon.
    Here's a teaser.
    sweet, dear leap. just plain goodness. i'm surprised at the conditions -- did you encounter much mud? it looks tack tack tacky right there. i had pretty much written off all of Umpqua 'till the spring. i had some fun there last March, but it was sort of a drought last winter...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by slimTreeshadow
    sweet, dear leap. just plain goodness. i'm surprised at the conditions -- did you encounter much mud? it looks tack tack tacky right there. i had pretty much written off all of Umpqua 'till the spring. i had some fun there last March, but it was sort of a drought last winter...
    Umpqua National Forest, not North Umpqua Trail. I think this was closer to Cottage Grove than Roseburg.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

You had more Fun!

Nice ride from the looks of it. I think you had more fun than we did. There was lots of the white stuff at 6000'+ where TEd & I went on Saturday. It snowed all day. Maiden Pk shelter was hiding from us though and we ended up doing a 12 hour epic with 45 pound packs on backcountry skiis. My shoulders are still tenderized. (thank G-d for Ted's having had foresight enough to have brought lights, his lasted till the parking lot!).
    If the pics come through, the shelter photo is from 1-7-06, and the other is from on the trail showing recent snow on the trees above Ted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Umpqua National Forest, not North Umpqua Trail. I think this was closer to Cottage Grove than Roseburg.
    Is that RockhoundMTB you were out there with?

High Speed Botanist

Nice...

Looks like a good time. Ya gotta post those pics full size next time, or close to it at least Also, I didn't catch a glimpse of that sweet lookin' snow white frame you got going. Still riding barbie?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Nice ride from the looks of it. I think you had more fun than we did. There was lots of the white stuff at 6000'+ where TEd & I went on Saturday. It snowed all day. Maiden Pk shelter was hiding from us though and we ended up doing a 12 hour epic with 45 pound packs on backcountry skiis. My shoulders are still tenderized. (thank G-d for Ted's having had foresight enough to have brought lights, his lasted till the parking lot!).
    If the pics come through, the shelter photo is from 1-7-06, and the other is from on the trail showing recent snow on the trees above Ted.
    It's amazing how hard it is to find things when the landmarks have all changed with the winter blanket. I was hiking up near Santiam Pass a couple years ago on unfamiliar trails in the Fall... Lost track of the PCT of all things when it came out of the treeline, ended up on the wrong side of a ridge and finally realized there wasn't a trail on that side of the ridge. It was only about a 100 yard section I lost but it got me on the wrong side of a ridgeline. GPS can come in handy at those times as long as you have pre-programed the landmarks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lswing
    Looks like a good time. Ya gotta post those pics full size next time, or close to it at least Also, I didn't catch a glimpse of that sweet lookin' snow white frame you got going. Still riding barbie?
    Lou-
    nope. Got Voodoo built up, Barbie is stripped down. Check out my post on the SS board, called the Vooodoo project for frame pics. I haven't posted anything of what the bike looks like built up- untill I build a new wheel set.

BTW, trail was tacky tacky, which made the heckletooth switchies sooo much fun!

mtbr member

Heckletooth & Flat crk 7 days later

yo.

A small grope of us hammered out Flat creek, (which by the way is not so flat) and Heckletooth once again. We did the Heckletooth section last Sunday, and there was a bit more snow. This past week with the temps in the 50's, a whole lot of snow has melted off and made the trail nearly perfect.
    There are still about one dozen or so trees to climb over, but otherwise a near perfect day with good friends and awesome singletrack!

Some pics for your viewing pleasure-

mtbr member
    Good pics SSconny. Good to see the grope of you at the Trailhead too. Hard to imagine a better day in February for this area.
    Middle Fork was very sweet too. The (Bend-ites, Bend-ers, Bend-overs, whaddya call someone from Bend, anyway?) liked the goods we showed 'em. They'll be back. Next time we'll make 'em climb
    I gotta get up on Heckletooth, so far I've spent more time maintaining than riding it.
    Cheers - Flaps