slower than you

Heavy flow...revisited

Huge thanks to cazloco and Sasquatch for the lowdown on this fantastic little trail. I didn't go all the way to the big falls because with all the stopping I was doing to take pictures it burned up a lot of time. I walked a fair bit of the first part too...the narrow rocky trail and that drop off to the right wasn't giving me the warm fuzzies and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Even so it was a beautiful ride. The rocks and slippery roots were a ton of fun and it was a good confidence builder. Just about perfect weather too ATMO. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Dog is my copilot

meatier showers
    Awesome & then some! Excellent pix.

See you tomorrow at ACM IVskin!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Sweet trail eh? We have been enjoying that one for 20+ years. The mid-section is now a freeway compared to then, but it does make a section wheelchair accessible so those folks confined to chairs have a chance to see some of the sweet stuff we get to anytime. I count myself lucky to live so close to such great places to ride.

"We've got a great backyard" - Cazloco

Flaps

Tree Hugger
    Nice! Did you make it to ACM4? I asked a few folks, and no one ever met "Ratspike", although we may have met you.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Nice! Did you make it to ACM4? I asked a few folks, and no one ever met "Ratspike", although we may have met you.
    Ayup I made it. I went out in the stoner group that started with the climb up the road to the yellow gate. I'm horrible with names so I hope the two guys who ended up as our guides will cut me some slack...one was on the rigid 29er with drops and the other guy was on a blue Fisher. I owe them both a big thanks for putting up with my slow ass all day and for showing us a fantastic time. As for Whypass...all I can say is wow. Like seriously. A lot.

I snapped a few photos that I'll post up later this evening. After the ride I hit101 and headed south but didn't have internet access where I stopped. I'm in Santa Rosa tonight, gonna check out Annadel tomorrow. Vacations rule.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

nice photos

Nice photos Ratspike, thanks for sharing that great day. I'm looking for a new camera, which one do you use?

thanks. Bill

mtbr member

Follow up photo question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider1405
    Nice photos Ratspike, thanks for sharing that great day. I'm looking for a new camera, which one do you use?

thanks. Bill
    Following up on Bill's question, does your camera have separately adjustable aperture and "shutter speed", and manual focus controls? The depth of field I see in your pics leads me to believe so.
    Lack of those features are some things frustrating me about my current digital camera. DSLRs are too big to haul on a packstrap.

Thanks - Flaps

slower than you

thanks. Bill
    For my ride-around-happy-snaps I use a Canon G9. It's compact, has pretty good image quality and shoots RAW so it works for me.
    Dog is my copilot

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Following up on Bill's question, does your camera have separately adjustable aperture and "shutter speed", and manual focus controls? The depth of field I see in your pics leads me to believe so.
    Lack of those features are some things frustrating me about my current digital camera. DSLRs are too big to haul on a packstrap.

Thanks - Flaps
    Yeah it allows full manual control over settings. As a compact camera I'm very happy with it as long as I keep everything at web size. For casual snapshots and something easy to carry on rides it's perfect. As a real photographic tool - and this is comparing it to my 5D and 1D Mark II - it's totally a compromise, but it's one I'm willing to live with. For $500-ish it's a pretty damn nice little camera.

It's funny you ask about manual settings though because I never use it that way. I either leave it in program mode most of the time, or aperture priority if I want a little more control over things. I don't even use my real cameras in manual mode unless I'm using flash or studio lights.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the reply. The only real manual controls on my camera, the Canon SD550, are for white balance and shutter speed. The F2.8-4.9 lens and max ISO of only 400 I need good light for most shots taken by hand. Wow, the G9 isn't that much larger than mine, I'll keep it in mind. One more question, is it a right hand only camera, or can you use it with the left also?

slower than you
    Thanks for the reply. The only real manual controls on my camera, the Canon SD550, are for white balance and shutter speed. The F2.8-4.9 lens and max ISO of only 400 I need good light for most shots taken by hand. Wow, the G9 isn't that much larger than mine, I'll keep it in mind. One more question, is it a right hand only camera, or can you use it with the left also?
    iso 400 is a bummer, but to be totally honest the G9 is pretty horrible at 800 and atrocious at 1600. I never use it for anything larger than web images. I haven't paid attention to the max aperture range, it's 2.8-somethingorother. IS is a nice addition though, and it'll give you a little wiggle room over a non-IS camera. It's set up for a righty but you could always shoot upside down and flip the photos in post. The image on the LCD displays correctly and the shutter button is right under your thumb.
    Dog is my copilot