Thread: HC 100 tires

renaissance cyclist

HC 100 tires

Hey, Iím going to do this race, (near bend) in late August. Iíve got three sets of somewhat fast tires I would use for racing:
    1. (Least fast) All-rounder, decent in all conditions.
    2. Fast and good for both loose and packed dry conditions.
    3. (Fastest/lightest) good in hard-packed conditions only.
    Iíll bring the all-rounder just incase it rains, but Iím trying to figure out which of the other two will work better if it stays dry. I live in Spokane, and in early summer my fastest tires work fine, but as the summer progresses, more dust and gravel has been knocked lose from usage, and Iíve change to the # 2 tire. Iím wondering if anyone in the Bend area can give me a breakdown of usual conditions in the area in late August.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The conditions will be mostly dry and loose, but pretty fast. Run something with a little float and some decent side knobs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Is this the High Cascade race? That course looks brutal, even by 100 mile race standards. If so, you might want something more durable than your typical race tire. I recently had good luck with my WTB Weirwolfs in Bend. Lots of loose (sandy) stuff will be the main concern, but it looks like there will be some very rocky sections as well.

Rain isn't a problem in August in Bend as far as choosing tires are concerned; it is a blessing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Duh, I just read the thread title, so it obviously is the High Cascade race. Definitely bring something that has plenty of grip and won't puncture. I think a little extra rotational weight would be worth it for that race. I can't believe the race starts by going down Funner! I guess if you are going to crash out of a 100 mile race, it might as well be at the beginning...

renaissance cyclist
    So, it sounds like Iím in for a challenge. The Funner trail is pretty technical? I guess Iíll see. Iím not trying to set any records, so Iíve got no problem taking the rough bits slow if need be. Thanks for the replies. Judging by the video clip on the mudslinger website, I was thinking that Iíd run some Kenda Karmas (light, fast), Iím glad I asked. I Think Iíll be using my IRC Serac, which Iíve found are pretty good for lose/sandy condition, and also very flat resistant. It sounds like it will be similar to Conditions here around Spokane, but we donít have too many thorns, so Iíll lean toward flat resistance for the race.
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Knock on wood, usually by the end of august we will have had a couple of rains to tame the dust a tiny bit. Weirwolfs (2.3) are great up front if things are loose, and I generally run a Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 on the rear during the summer.

I just looked at the course map, HOLY CHRIST! That loop around Mt B is a big day, and to tuck the flagline mrazek loop in there is insanity, because that is another big day kind of a ride. No need to worry about thorns (or the funner trail section for that matter), worry about lava rocks on Kwolh butte/Edison, and pumice/sand/cinders on the west side of Mt B on the Windigo Metolious?

renaissance cyclist
    Wow, two votes for the weirwolf. Apparently thatís the local favorite, Iíll defiantly have to look into them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Go to Vimeo and search for Funner and Mrazek. I would have used Weirwolf 2.3's but I don't think they make them in UST for whatever reason.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For any 100 mile mtb race, I'd go with something pretty fast in back and something with more control up front. You'll be dog tired in the last third of the race, so speed is good in back for efficiency, and control is good up front for the inevitable exhausted, sloppy, end-of-race handling skills. Plus, most of your rolling resistance comes from the back on an mtb.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

renaissance cyclist
    Like the videos. I'm looking forward to the ride. Looks like some good riding

mtbr member
    Just put conti Mountain King 2.2 Tubeless for the CCP 100. I would use the same in the bend area.
    [SIZE="3"]THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT[/SIZE]