Have a great ride!

Has anybody rode here? Black Canyon Rd

Hello MTBR community, haven't posted in awhile.

I live in Springfield and I've been trying to find new places to ride from my house, preferably someplace with hills. So I was looking at the terrain view on google maps and noticed this gravel road up to the top of a hill where there are radio towers and the name of the road is Black Canyon rd.

From my house to the top google says its about 8 miles. Copy and past this 44.115444,-123.00087 into google maps search and you can see where im talking about.

I think I'm gonna try and take my Heckler to the top this weekend, just currious if anybody else in the area has rode up there before, if there were any gates or if people were even allowed all the way to the top?

If I don't get any responses I'll let eveyone know how it goes when I check it out.
    Whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    I don't have a definitive answer but for what it's worth...

When I search on that I see a marker for KEZI. You could try asking them.

In Corvallis in the McDonald Forest we have a couple towers (on Vineyard Mtn) that you can bike close to, but the towers themselves are fenced-off. I can't see any evidence of that on your site. Makes me think they've put a larger barricade somewhere in the trees around all the towers together.

I can see a fenceline running east-west to the south of the tower cluster, where a set of tire ruts ends in a confused squiggle, on the satellite view.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have rode north black canyon its the next left after black canyon.. good climb take the right roads and you can climb up to armatage point . Its wyerhauser ground So its closed and all gravel. And to answer your question of the actual black canyon rd. Its closed to to all public use due to the radio towers up their