mtbr member

Hagg Lake offshoots?

Hey Portland area folks,

I've always wondered where the various roads shooting off from the Hagg Lake perimeter go. While looking at the area with mapmyride, I saw that there are quite a few interconnecting roads on the north-NW side of the lake. I see cars and trucks heading out there but never any cyclists.

I'd like to explore these on a CX bike.

Has anyone done a loop out on Sain Creek Rd or Scoggins Valley headed towards the north/NW, etc? Just curious if it's safe (ie. no loose farm dogs, speeding lumber trucks, hunting rednecks)

Part of a route I made up passes through Brown's Camp OHV staging area... wtf is that? Different from the mtn biking area?

Here's just a sample:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hagg Lake offshoots?-picture-3.png  

Klein Attitude & Palomino replaced with an 09 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite.

Steve Dallas wannabe

Paging LeeMan

I seem to remember a post or posts by LeeMan similar to this subject. Hopefully he will jump in here

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have done some riding past the gate on Sain Creek road. There are countless intersecting roads, abandoned roads, and moto/quad trails. Nothing is signed. Bring navigational aids. GPS or map and compass. Yes, you can connect Hagg to the Brown's Camp MTB loop by those roads. IIRC the Mainline road out of Brown's Camp connects into Sain Creek road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeebus View Post

Part of a route I made up passes through Brown's Camp OHV staging area... wtf is that? Different from the mtn biking area?

Here's just a sample:
    Just about everyone mountain bikes out of Rodger's camp near the gravel shed. Brown's camp is further up the road and is a moto area. I think I drove out to it once and decided it was not the place for a mountain bike. I never understood why everyone refers to Brown's camp when mountain biking out there.

I know there is some private timber property around Hagg lake. I've done a cyclocross race out there years ago. That race was much more fun on a mountain bike . I just assumed that all the surrounding area was timber land as well. If you can link it up to the OHV area, you could link it further and get to Wilson River Trail for an extreme epic ride.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks, guys!

mtbr member
    Based on mophile's advice, I found this from LeeMan in 2010: Hagg Lake Exploration

Looks pretty desolate. As long as I'm not fending off half wild dogs, I think it's do-able.

mtbr member
    Found some great gravel/dirt road rides here including Hagg Lake offshoots: Rides VeloDirt

Orthodox Veloist
    Just wanted to say "Thank You Jeebus" for enlightening us on this.

I was also wondering if there was anything else out there.

zep
    mtbr member
    I have ridden several routes on these gravel timber roads, West of Haig...and that sums up what I found--gravel roads. Both times, I was riding my CX bike, which was fine, but a front suspended hardtail would be ideal, since a # of those roads have very hard surfaces. If you ride out there, take a GPS, it would be easy to get lost. Some of the roads have been unused for a long time, and may require some bushwacking. Also, bring your climbing gears, some of the hills are stiff. Wasn't much fun, but at least it gets you off the tarmac.
    Get some miles in--we've got weather coming.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by zep View Post
    I have ridden several routes on these gravel timber roads, West of Haig...and that sums up what I found--gravel roads. Both times, I was riding my CX bike, which was fine, but a front suspended hardtail would be ideal, since a # of those roads have very hard surfaces. If you ride out there, take a GPS, it would be easy to get lost. Some of the roads have been unused for a long time, and may require some bushwacking. Also, bring your climbing gears, some of the hills are stiff. Wasn't much fun, but at least it gets you off the tarmac.
    I love that type of ride and find them very fun.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

zep
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I love that type of ride and find them very fun.

Oh yeah? Then you should join our group: Dyno Dan and the Gravel Road All-Stars

Hagg Lake Adventure - Daniel Morgan (danetinc)'s Photos
    Get some miles in--we've got weather coming.

Sure, send me an email or PM with contact info.
    mtbtires.com

Steve Dallas wannabe

East Side ride

Anone have some info on this type of ride on the east side of town, maybe Boring or Damascus area?

Found some great gravel/dirt road rides here including Hagg Lake offshoots: Rides VeloDirt
    Heck, they even say you have not approved this ride!
    Coast Range Enrapturement Dirt Rides Rides VeloDirt
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

If its open to others, I'd love to join in on some of those too! Gravel isn't my favorite, but if there are long climbs and some new sights to see, well I would take that any day over the headwinds of road riding or the slimy spatter of Leif Erikson.

mtbr member
    I just saw VeloDirt is planning a March 2012 ride out in the Dalles area. Check out their website for details: VeloDirt Not sure if I'll be in shape or in town for this.

mtbr member
    I just saw VeloDirt is planning a March 2012 ride out in the Dalles area. Check out their website for details: VeloDirt Not sure if I'll be in shape or in town for this.
    Thanks for the passing on the link! Might even be a good use for my touring bike!
    I signed up for the newsletter, but sure wish there were some earlier rides than March cause I need to get a start getting my ass in shape now!

Does anyone know of any gravelgrinders or Roubaix style races in the PNW?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    Thanks for the passing on the link! Might even be a good use for my touring bike!
    I signed up for the newsletter, but sure wish there were some earlier rides than March cause I need to get a start getting my ass in shape now!

Does anyone know of any gravelgrinders or Roubaix style races in the PNW?
    I believe that is what the Velodirt rides are.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Well yes, but I get the impression they are a smaller than grassroots type of event. Which is totally fine and I would still do that in a heartbeat. But given the rugged reputation of the NW, and all the logging roads and popularity of CX, it just seems like the type of place that would have a big time Roubaix style road race.

I'm not a roadie at all, but last year I decided on a whim to sign up for a well known Roubaix race and ended up having a blast. Plenty of cat1 and 2 mtbers enter cat5, so I had friends among the pack. In the cat5 group there were some long periods of boredom, but you could feel the intensity rise with the approach of each gravel section, and the gravel never ever disappointed. MTB skills were extremely helpful, there were potholes galore, crashes and flats, plenty of fishtailing at high speed, at one point the entire chase group I was in had to get off and walk up a climb, and of course you know you are in one hell of an interesting road race when you see double down arrows on the course!!

About mile 90 I ran out of nutrition and bonked hard... sitting on the roadside in the fetal position hard, only to realize 10 mins later I had a bag of powder in my jersey pocket, which brought me to life and allowed me limp the last 16 miles to avoid dnf. I spent the afternoon telling my friends how much I hated it and would never do it again (to be expected anytime one goes fetal position), but after a week or two the soreness finally went away and I realized how much fun it was and would love the chance to do it again. Really need to buy my own road bike next time though instead of borrowing one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Update?

Did you ever do this ride? I'm planning a similar route for tomorrow. Scoggins Valley Road to Old Wilson River Road and head back on Baseline Ridge.

Anything I should look out for?

Thanks!

Joe

Hey Portland area folks,

I've always wondered where the various roads shooting off from the Hagg Lake perimeter go. While looking at the area with mapmyride, I saw that there are quite a few interconnecting roads on the north-NW side of the lake. I see cars and trucks heading out there but never any cyclists.

I'd like to explore these on a CX bike.

Has anyone done a loop out on Sain Creek Rd or Scoggins Valley headed towards the north/NW, etc? Just curious if it's safe (ie. no loose farm dogs, speeding lumber trucks, hunting rednecks)

Here's just a sample:
    --
    Joe Partridge

Obviously Single

I'd Love to Ride There Again

I have been recovering from a groin pull last winter, but I'm in much better shape now.

I'd love to go ride on those roads again. They are a great alternative when the trail around the Lake is too muddy.

Note that there is active logging going on up there. When I explored, it was on a Sunday. I *did* find one or two old 2-track roads that might make good trails, but I also found massive years-old blow-down on some of them. I also found what appeared to be MX/Hiking Trails, complete with signs! I didn't get a chance to explore much, being alone and pushing darkness.

But the gravel roads are good to go and plenty of fun and work. The views are amazing.

I have met hikers in Rogers Camp that hiked from Hagg Lake, and I live within riding distance of Hagg Lake. It has always been my dream to make it to the Historic Hiking Trail from my house some day (but, alas, father time is making it more difficult every year!).
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    I've ridden up the hills several times overlooking Hagg Lake from the North/Gale's Creek side (Putting in at the gravel pit/rock company off of Roderick). The land there is owned by Stimson Lumber (to the north of Hagg Lake) - and they allow nonmotorized vehicles to tool around the logging roads. From 'go' it's a continuous climb to the top - almost 2000 ft in just 2-3 miles. From the top I have made it down to Hagg Lake. by connecting logging roads. Once up at the top the roads meander all over the place.

A buddy of mine and I tried a few years ago to GPS-log most of the roads in the area, but we gave up when it was apparent that they changed year-to-year with the active logging and we only found one short length of trail that was single-track-like. During one of those we decided to bush-whack by following a Topo map road down to Hagg Lake - it must have overgrown decades before and we almost killed ourselves packing our bikes over logging debris and overgrowth before turning around. I haven't explored much further to the West. Beware that most of the roads on old Topo maps do not exist anymore, having overgrown, or collapsed from steep sidecuts (in several cases). The place is also hunted (poached?) regularly - I hear gunshots from my place on the other side of Gales Creek Road and I have run into a hunter on a quad before.

Steve