Obviously Single

Hagg Lake Exploration

I've been wanting to explore a route from my house to Brown's Camp for a while now.

It's not that many miles if I could strap a jet pack on my bike: maybe 30 miles each way? I used to ride miles like that, when I was (dare I say it?) younger ...

Back to the less boring part ... I can see riding to Hagg Lake from my house, even if it might take a while, so the hard part would be getting from Hagg Lake to Brown's Camp.

I know it can be done -- I've seen hikers come out at Brown's Camp that started at Hagg Lake, and my paper maps and Google Earth agree there are roads through there. I guess that's how an adventure begins. And I knew nobody else in their right mind would join me, so I plotted to ride the road and explore alone.

This last weekend was the perfect confluence of opportunity and out-of-shapeness, so I went for it.

My goal was to make it half way to Brown's Camp, but I got a late start, and every inch was "new trail" (dirt road, anyway). I made it maybe 5 miles of 15, but it was fun, and I saw much opportunity.

A few pics ...

Starting out (I choose the geared bike for this ride):

Elly takes a rest on the steepest part of the ride (15%!):

Up the road, I could look down and see Hagg Lake. Very beautiful on this day:

A few shots of where I turned around (after some side exploring). Lots of logging here:

And my data (map and raw):

Hope everybody else had a great weekend, as well!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

ronbo613
    Good on you Lee. We ride from the house, some might be on a paved road, some might be on a fire road, some might be prime singletrack, but we ride the whole way. Negotiate the terrain by bike. Passing the logging trucks on the bike is my favorite.
    Looks like you didn't get the Edge 800 yet, heard they had a few issues. Might be a good idea to hold off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That's awesome. I love it when someone looks at a map and manages to connect two different places. That's real interesting travel, and can be rewarding in a way that going to an established ride destination can't be.

mtbr member
    We did a logging road tour on that route once. Starting at Hagg Lk, we came out at Brown's Camp and then continued on logging roads to a friends cabin at Cascade Head. We camped wherever we dropped. I think we had at least three different maps and spent a great deal of time looking at them at the many road intersections.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

Obviously Single

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    Good on you Lee. We ride from the house, some might be on a paved road, some might be on a fire road, some might be prime singletrack, but we ride the whole way. Negotiate the terrain by bike. Passing the logging trucks on the bike is my favorite.
    Looks like you didn't get the Edge 800 yet, heard they had a few issues. Might be a good idea to hold off.
    Garmin has *no* trade-in program, so it's unlikely I'll be dumping my perfectly-good 305 any time soon. So unless the 800 develops a feature set that includes happy endings, I'm stuck with what I have for now.
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jam esp
    We did a logging road tour on that route once. Starting at Hagg Lk, we came out at Brown's Camp and then continued on logging roads to a friends cabin at Cascade Head. We camped wherever we dropped. I think we had at least three different maps and spent a great deal of time looking at them at the many road intersections.
    That sounds really cool! Did you use Bob trailers, Panniers, ...?

Next time you go, let me know!
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    This was before Bobs (BB?) so we used Panniers and packs. No big plans to do a repeat, but if I do, I'll get in touch. Something I should probably do anyway. Thx for the TR!
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Uhh... L-Man...

Correct me if I'm wrong... BUT, isn't that your full-susser you appeared to have taken out on that ride? How do you think the ol' Miss-SS is going to feel about that!

Gonna head out to Hagg this a.m. for a spin. Anything pressing I need to know about this place? i.e. - parking, tricky turns, Ups/Downs, Do's/Don'ts etc...
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Qanuk
    Uhh... L-Man...

Correct me if I'm wrong... BUT, isn't that your full-susser you appeared to have taken out on that ride? How do you think the ol' Miss-SS is going to feel about that!

Gonna head out to Hagg this a.m. for a spin. Anything pressing I need to know about this place? i.e. - parking, tricky turns, Ups/Downs, Do's/Don'ts etc...
    Hey Man! Good to hear from ya!

Likely this is too late, but good news is no, nothing special you need to know.

On a week day it is likely uncrowded there, and there should be very little mud (though not "none").

You might miss a turn or two, but you'll find your way. I like going CCW, but most folks go CW around the Lake ... Should take about 2 hours or so ...

Report, and pictures would be even better (since I'm stuck at work like most mere mortals).
    The Lee-Man

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Wow! IMHO - Hagg Lake is a very under-rated Boat load of SS Fun!

Very little to no mud right now... GREAT fall ride I tell yah.

It is a shame that sooooo many people clearly try to ride that place in less then stellar conditions (felt like I need a Full-Sussy just for the MTB ruts at times).

LeeMan: I did ride it the CW direction - with that last 2 miles or so laying down its authority on my ol' legs & lungs I tell yah. Saw a few other guys out - they too said CCW is more fun (they were going CCW)... and I can see that in hind site now. We should plan on gettin' out there before the rains close her off for the season. Also - we have a few other rides to hammer out soon my brother! Still have a day up at Rogers/Historic, and another either over at Siouxon and/or Tarbell!

Talk soon!
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hagg Lake to Brown's Camp

I read LeeMan's post when I first moved out to Forest Grove and it inspired me to explore the logging roads. Thanks, LeeMan! I finally made the trip out to Brown's Camp from Forest Grove via Scoggins Valley Road. I hit the dirt four miles out of town and followed logging roads out to Hagg Lake.
    Here's a link to the gps:

Bike Ride Profile | The mayor of Scoggins Valley goes to Brown's Camp near Forest Grove | Times and Records | Strava

Members who have read this thread: 0