mtbr member

Grey Butte.....this weekend(4/4-4/5)?

just wanted to throw out a possible group ride on Saturday or Sunday. Please post here if you are interested. Riders with knowledge of the area will help the ride go more smoothly, as I have not riden the area before, but I have a map of the area so the ride will happen one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

mtbr member

When it's wet

Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    just wanted to throw out a possible group ride on Saturday or Sunday. Please post here if you are interested. Riders with knowledge of the area will help the ride go more smoothly, as I have not riden the area before, but I have a map of the area so the ride will happen one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

It's the worse place to ride I have ever been, nasty sticky, gray clay type mud. IT packed up our tires so quick we walked more than we road.

Some locals had a ride planned up there last Sunday, haven't heard how it went though. I can say stay off the north & east side of Gray Butte from past experience, but things may be different depending on how much it has dried out.

Have fun and gives us a heads up on how it was.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member

Thanks General

That sounds encouraging! Maybe i will just stay on the double track, or maybe we can find some trails with less mud. Thanks for the post.

Sounds like I've found one brave rider here at work willing to make the trek with me. Anyone else, Nat, PinsN'needles? Come on, I know you guys are itching to ride.

Jason

mtbr member

Your welcome,

That sounds encouraging! Maybe i will just stay on the double track, or maybe we can find some trails with less mud. Thanks for the post.

Sounds like I've found one brave rider here at work willing to make the trek with me. Anyone else, Nat, PinsN'needles? Come on, I know you guys are itching to ride.

Jason
    Gray Butte, at least the north side out of Skull Hollow was the worse of it but enough to make it miserable. Staying on the west side and around the back of Monkey Face was okay, actually a little dusty It just seemed that once we found the mud we couldn't get out of it, if you get close to it I would suggest turing around and heading a different direction...

Plenty of riding there, I have done some 50+ mile epic rides in that area, lot's of cool under used trail north and west of Gray Butte.

have fun.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    yo whats up jason it's dan. Whens your new bike coming? I'm working and skiing alot these days but we all need to go for a big fat ride here real soon.
    what the fu#k is the internet?

What day are we riding?

Did I lose a month somewhere?

I'm still in March, but looking forward to April.

I might be able to go Sunday afternoon. Probably need a report from someone who has been out there lately though to see how wet the trails are.

Nat
    Solo contendre

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    Hey wait a minute...aren't you the Jason with whom I rode a few days ago at Horse Ridge?

I was out at Gray Butte on...Sunday...I think (fawk, I'm losing track of days nowadays). The roads were GREAT. The singletrack is still unrideable soup. I wish I had a picture, but I ended up dropping down the narrow canyon (marked black diamond on "the old map") on the west side of the Butte and ended up riding in 4" deep runoff water down the streambed. It was kind of sketchy because of the mossy rock and the potential to take an ice bath, but it was pretty cool.

I don't usually ride on Saturday or Sunday because I get to ride almost daily during the week, but I'll see how it goes this weekend. If I don't have yet another kiddie birthday party to attend, I may try to hook up with you guys.

I scoped out Swamp Wells two weeks ago and it was pretty choppy and frozen, but might be thawing out a bit.

Jason, I was out at Horse this morning and what a difference a week makes! I don't know if you guys came down Escape From Moscow like I suggested, but you know how it was wet and slushy? Today it looked as if someone had taken a rake and tamper to it. It was so firm and fast! Jeff called to see if I wanted to head out there, but I was already up on top of there!

Dan, good seeing you running the lifts up at Bach. I have a few runs left on my pass but I think I'm in full bike season mode now and have shelved the snowboard for the winter. Did you get my PM about the CK headset?

Steve, can I borrow that sweet fat-tire trike of yours?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Hey wait a minute...aren't you the Jason with whom I rode a few days ago at Horse Ridge?

I was out at Gray Butte on...Sunday...I think (fawk, I'm losing track of days nowadays). The roads were GREAT. The singletrack is still unrideable soup. I wish I had a picture, but I ended up dropping down the narrow canyon (marked black diamond on "the old map") on the west side of the Butte and ended up riding in 4" deep runoff water down the streambed. It was kind of sketchy because of the mossy rock and the potential to take an ice bath, but it was pretty cool.

I don't usually ride on Saturday or Sunday because I get to ride almost daily during the week, but I'll see how it goes this weekend. If I don't have yet another kiddie birthday party to attend, I may try to hook up with you guys.

I scoped out Swamp Wells two weeks ago and it was pretty choppy and frozen, but might be thawing out a bit.

Jason, I was out at Horse this morning and what a difference a week makes! I don't know if you guys came down Escape From Moscow like I suggested, but you know how it was wet and slushy? Today it looked as if someone had taken a rake and tamper to it. It was so firm and fast! Jeff called to see if I wanted to head out there, but I was already up on top of there!

Dan, good seeing you running the lifts up at Bach. I have a few runs left on my pass but I think I'm in full bike season mode now and have shelved the snowboard for the winter. Did you get my PM about the CK headset?

Steve, can I borrow that sweet fat-tire trike of yours?!
    hey Nat your missing out on some great powder! It's forcasted to snow up there through next week so take that snowboard off the shelf!! I got your message and as cool as the gold headset looks on Jefe's bike, blue and gold are bend high colors and I really can't sport them. So yeah that sounds like a good deal. Give me a call when it stops snowing I'll dust my bikes off.
    what the fu#k is the internet?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by SS4life
    hey Nat your missing out on some great powder! It's forcasted to snow up there through next week so take that snowboard off the shelf!! I got your message and as cool as the gold headset looks on Jefe's bike, blue and gold are bend high colors and I really can't sport them. So yeah that sounds like a good deal. Give me a call when it stops snowing I'll dust my bikes off.
    Sweet.

mtbr member

So much for Grey Butte this weekend......

Nat,
    Yes, this is the same Jason in which you schooled on horseridge last Saturday. Thanks again for the great ride. We did take Escape from Moscow on the way down, it was fun.

Sounds like I'm going to Oakridge with Jefe' on Saturday to hang with the cool guys and ride some sweet single track. Between Jefe' and I we should have some pretty sweet pictures to post. To bad my 29er isn't here yet, but soon enough.

Dan,
    Good to hear from you. I know you have been a bit of a snow hound this year, but soon enough you will be rollin' Phat on that new Vulture.............. or is it that new Vulture..........you lucky dog. I thought it was cool that I was getting one new bike, but you're going to be sporting two new rides very soon.....LUCKY! Check you later

Cheers,
    Jason

mtbr member

Hope Hey fellers,

Sorry to get in on this late...
    looks like Oakridge on Sat. I got an invite and I got's to go back...
    I'm shure anyone is invited, I just show up and ride so I don't have details yet.
    Yeah, It's true that Dan is getting my Vulture and I'm getting a new one !!!
    Happy Trails
    Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member

Free bird........

Quote Originally Posted by PinsNeedles
    Sorry to get in on this late...
    looks like Oakridge on Sat. I got an invite and I got's to go back...
    I'm shure anyone is invited, I just show up and ride so I don't have details yet.
    Yeah, It's true that Dan is getting my Vulture and I'm getting a new one !!!
    Happy Trails
    Jefe'
    'bout time you chime in you Ol' Kodger. Can't wait to ride Saturday.

JC