Obviously Single

New question here. Great Bike Shops?

Hi All:

I'm new to the Portland MTB scene, just having moved here a couple of months ago, and not riding much yet (I have some knee problems).

Can anybody recommend some great bike shops around Portland? I live over south of Hillsboro, so anything on the west side would be better, but I'm willing to driver whereever needed to get the right shop.

I'd also prefer a shop that has some high-end bikes, since those kind of shops seem to (usually) do a better job of working on such bikes.

Thanks in advance.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Hi All:

I'm new to the Portland MTB scene, just having moved here a couple of months ago, and not riding much yet (I have some knee problems).

Can anybody recommend some great bike shops around Portland? I live over south of Hillsboro, so anything on the west side would be better, but I'm willing to driver whereever needed to get the right shop.

I'd also prefer a shop that has some high-end bikes, since those kind of shops seem to (usually) do a better job of working on such bikes.

Thanks in advance.
    Since you're on the west side you could try Tim at Fat Tire Farm. Universal Cycles just moved over to Thurman street too but they are sales only- can't beat them for sales though. If you go there ask for Josh.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A few....

Hi All:

Thanks in advance.
    River City puts out a very good effort! They have a ton in stock. I would avoid the Fat Tire Farm like a flaming case of hemmroids. The owner has a huge attitude. Bike Gallery is very good too. Cycle Path in NE Portland is very good. Lots of good shops in Portland. However, my favorite place is Universal Cycles. Mike has sold me lots of parts and worked on my bike with good results.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Fat Tire Farm is great for high end components, frames and custom builds. I purchased my Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy with a custom build from FTF back in 1999. I have had most all my major service done by the mechanics. Services where: King front/rear hub overhaul, fork overhaul, wheel truing, custom wheel builds.

Fat Tire Farm is a quality shop.

River City is also a great shop. It has a much larger selection of cycling gear, as the shop is oriented towards all types of bikes, where FTF is focused on bikes with knobs and FAT Tires.

Good luck with finding your go to shop.....there are many.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    River City puts out a very good effort! They have a ton in stock. I would avoid the Fat Tire Farm like a flaming case of hemmroids. The owner has a huge attitude. Bike Gallery is very good too. Cycle Path in NE Portland is very good. Lots of good shops in Portland. However, my favorite place is Universal Cycles. Mike has sold me lots of parts and worked on my bike with good results.

Jaybo

Obviously Single

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRider
    Since you're on the west side you could try Tim at Fat Tire Farm. Universal Cycles just moved over to Thurman street too but they are sales only- can't beat them for sales though. If you go there ask for Josh.

Since these guys aren't too gar away from where I work, in Hillsboro, I'm going to check them out first.

Thanks!
    The Lee-Man

Cheezy Rider
    A bit out of your way, but a cool shop:

http://www.sellwoodcycle.com/

made in Oregon
    the only one you need
    www.trailheadcycles.com
    check out their goldtooth gear
    nathan
    WTB: Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame, size Med
    Goldtooth
    Custom Bashguards
    www.goldtoothmafia.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You know what they say about opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Fat Tire Farm is great for high end components, frames and custom builds. I purchased my Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy with a custom build from FTF back in 1999. I have had most all my major service done by the mechanics. Services where: King front/rear hub overhaul, fork overhaul, wheel truing, custom wheel builds.

Fat Tire Farm is a quality shop.

River City is also a great shop. It has a much larger selection of cycling gear, as the shop is oriented towards all types of bikes, where FTF is focused on bikes with knobs and FAT Tires.

Good luck with finding your go to shop.....there are many.

Jason
    They are like arse, everyone has one. I just don't agree. Oh, well, such is life. Lots of choices in PDX. Lots of people like Fat Tire Farm. I do like Tim, manager, and some of the employees are great. I just find Park hard to take at many levels.

Jaybo

Portland, OR
    yea, Fat fire farm is great, just make sure to ask for Tim. also i've had really good experiences with Bike-N-Hike. also good things with River City.

shops to avoid ? Definatly The Bike Gallery. they will just try to sell you their crappyest bikes, because they want to move those out. also they are real a**holes. everyone I have dealt with there have some real attitude problems.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Singletrack Addict

Bike shop attitudes are relative

I used to "think" I was getting attitude at River City and I generally had disdain for the big shop with lots and lots of "sales" people (got spoiled by Paul's in Eugene), but since I found a screamin' deal on my bike and have been in and out of there many times since then, I am on a first name basis with some of the wrenches and get good service. My good buddy has a different opinion and he paid a lot more for his bike there than I did. Attitude relative.

I like to go into Fat Tire Farm and drool on their cool bikes, but can't afford them . . . maybe someday? I have experienced some of the attitude that they are known for--yes, it is a consensus. I'm an old guy with a beer gut, not their demographic, not cool enough. But spend some coin, establish a relationship with the wrenches and I bet there would be a lot of praise; they have a cool shop and they know it. Attitude relative.

Bike Gallery? They used to be the shop in Portland . . . back in the 70s. There a number of them now and I only patronzie the NE shop on Sandy Blvd because it's close and quick when I need something. But I've got mixed feelings. I like that they are active in the community. I like their huge warehouse sales. They are not a small shop but they're not quite a big shop either (kind of like Portland: not a small town, but not a big city either). There is a BG right in downtown PDX, near the Library and the MAX line.

Like's been said, Portland has a nice mix of good shops. I like the low-key nature of Sellwood Cycle and Repair. You'll find local racer Eric Tonkin in their most days turning a wrench when he's not turning cranks. But you won't find too many high end bikes.

Check them out and decide for yourself.

Group Hug Participant
    Please allow a Washingtonian to chime in (screw our state sale's tax ). I bought my last bike ('02 RM Slayer) at Fat Tire. Great experience and they were willing to negotiate.

I checked out River City not too long ago and was really impressed. Great sales staff and bike knowledge. Loved the test track upstairs.

What's up with Trail Head? One helluva bike selection. The Versus Blitz sure got my attention. *drool*
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    Hi All:

Thanks in advance.

I've lived in Portland (actually Aloha) for about 9 months now, and I've frequented a few shops in that time.

Bike Gallery in Beaverton has been OK so far...prices are not that great on most stuff, but they're open when I need something and the staff seems mostly ok, but in that commercial "I'm being paid to be nice to you" way. There's one mechanic there that I get along pretty well with since we're both oldskoll grumps with our downtube shifters, canti brakes, and threaded headsets. I too like their community involvement, and some of that money comes from their prices, but it's a good thing, right?

Lakeside Bicycles in Lake Oswego was excellent. I had some warranty work that needed to be done on my Bianchi Denali, but the nearest Bianchi dealer to me was a tri-only shop (Speedzone). They gave me the cell # of the Bianchi rep who pointed me to Lakeside and to a particular mechanic, who spent over an hour fixing the bike on a walkin basis, no appointment and no hassle. Cool old store too, with plenty of bikes, clothing, and accessories.

Kisslers Cyclery is one that no one has mentioned yet. They're small and maybe out of the way for some people (only about 1 mile from Bike Gallery though). My first reaction to the place wasn't a great one, but I think they were understaffed that day. I went in a couple weeks later to see if they had some downtube shifters for my commuter, and they mechanics just let me sift through their parts bin while we shot the shite about bikes and trails. They let me use the shop to set up the shifters on the frame to make sure everything worked too. Always get a nice discount from them, and they participated in the BTA's Bike-to-Work month back in September, giving me a deal on a bunch of tubes, levers, and patch kits so I could run a little bike clinic at my office for all the commuters there. They don't have a ton of bikes or parts in stock, and they're not as glossy as Bike Gallery, but they're fun and real, and a better place to spend the money, IMO.

I'm looking forward to checking out Sellwood Cycles soon; it's just a PITA to get over to the SE on a weekday, and on weekends I don't feel like going anywhere. Same with River City, I'll check them out eventually I hope, as they also seem to have a good reputation around here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Since you live in Hillsboro, definitely check out Trail Head Cycles at Cornelius Pass just off 26.Josh, Bernie and P-Funk are nice guys who ride and know their stuff. They don't have "sales" people.

They are one of the few bike shops in town that sells mountain bikes that were made in town.

www.trailheadcycles.com

The Dude Abides

FTF was great

I bought an Enduro at Fat Tire during their sale last weekend, and they were great!
    I didn't get any attitude from anyone there, and they didn't try to sell me the most expencive bikes they have. I worked mostly with Mike "extra mile" and would recomend him. He was very into geting the correct setup/geometry for the style of riding i wanted to do...he wasn't pushing on certain brand or suspension design.
    These guys are the moutain bike shop that also sells some road stuff...not the road bike shop that also sells some moutain bikes. They just droped Turner and picked up Elllsworth.
    That makes:
    Kona
    Specialized
    Giant
    Ellsworth
    Santa Cruz
    Intence

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

another reason to not like 'em....

Quote Originally Posted by theeric
    I bought an Enduro at Fat Tire during their sale last weekend, and they were great!
    I didn't get any attitude from anyone there, and they didn't try to sell me the most expencive bikes they have. I worked mostly with Mike "extra mile" and would recomend him. He was very into geting the correct setup/geometry for the style of riding i wanted to do...he wasn't pushing on certain brand or suspension design.
    These guys are the moutain bike shop that also sells some road stuff...not the road bike shop that also sells some moutain bikes. They just droped Turner and picked up Elllsworth.
    That makes:
    Kona
    Specialized
    Giant
    Ellsworth
    Santa Cruz
    Intence
    They dropped Turner and picked up Ellsworth. Hmm. I'm sure Park and Ellsworth will have a love feast.

AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEE!!!

This is an easy one...

Tie for first: Copelands, G.I. Joes. Distant third... Performance.

I used to work at Bike 'n Hike in Beaverton, and thought it was in general a good down-to-earth shop. However, they only have Giant and Kona mtbs, and the high-end selection wasn't huge, so you may as well go to FTF for those brands and more. There's definitely drool-worthy stuff at CyclePath and Universal too.

knobby drifter

The Fat Tire Farm, River City, Cycle Path

If you're looking for anything mountain bike related (service, parts, new bikes, an honest opinion) The Farm is the #1 shop in the Portland metro area. Tim, Mike, Shane and the service crew are knowledgable and friendly and understand the importance of educating the customer to make the sale. Their MTB brand selection is top notch. It's no wonder why they're one of the top Specialized and Kona MTB dealers in the nation, and still they don't feel too big. They're also only one of a couple of shops in the area that has an excellent selection of rental bikes and they often have demo bikes available to rip on for a day or two. don't miss their movie premiers, always full of rowdy bike junkies and show local and mainstream bike films. They are premiering the latest and greatest film called ROAM at the Clinton Street Theater on April 21, 2006 rumor has it.

For a solid road selection check out River City Cycles. They also have the best selection of bike commuter products. The staff there is generally quite knowledgeable and eager to help. They invest a ton of time and money to produce the Cross Crusade - a local cyclocross race series. Last year Cross Crusade was the most well attended cyclocross race series in US history. Props to the River City crew for all their hard work in building the local race scene.

If you're not into the bigger stores, check out Cycle Path on NE MLK. This small shop is owned and operated by only 2 guys, Bill and Josh, who have an enormous ammount of high end bike knowledge. If I were to purchase a handmade road bike, I'd check out this spot first for service that's second to none.

If you end up hating all of these options, realize you are living in arguably the best city for cyclists in the US. There are many many other EXCELLENT alternatives such as The Bike Gallery chain, Trail Head Cycles, Sellwood Cycles, Olson's and Veloshop. Take a Saturday off and check out as many shops as you can. I am frequently amazed at the caliber of sales and service the majority of shops around Portland routinely offer.
    "You don't have to be fast to look fast."

The Dude Abides
    Mr. Hungus, I loved you in Log Jammin' and the Beaver Picture.

Keep up the good work!

Obviously Single

Good job! Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl Hungus
    If you're looking for anything mountain bike related (service, parts, new bikes, an honest opinion) The Farm is the #1 shop in the Portland metro area. ...
    Wow. Quite an endorsement. (Do they pay you? )

Either way, I agree, at least so far. I like to drop into a bike shop and just walk around. I can tell a lot about the shop and their philosophy by checking out their merchandise and how they react to a browser. They were very nice despite being medium busy. I asked about getting some maintenance done on my bike, and they said it'd be no problem -- just bring er in.

I sure appreciate all the great input everybody has provided. It'll take me years to learn about all these shops, and that's a "good thing".
    The Lee-Man