mtbr member
    May 2004

Gray Butte 6/4...Go now!

Rode it today from the Skull Hollow CG. (Thanks for the tip Nat.)
    It's in great shape, the flowers are in bloom and no, yes, no mud and no dust. Perfect.
    New trail from the corral at the saddle going down Skill hollow that's a bit bumpy yet and a new connector down to the CG. Park there and get that too.

Great conditions! We were going to go to MRT today and thank goodness we didn't!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Rode it today from the Skull Hollow CG. (Thanks for the tip Nat.)
    It's in great shape, the flowers are in bloom and no, yes, no mud and no dust. Perfect.
    New trail from the corral at the saddle going down Skill hollow that's a bit bumpy yet and a new connector down to the CG. Park there and get that too.

Great conditions! We were going to go to MRT today and thank goodness we didn't!
    How was the trip? Sorry I didn't meet up with you; I had a lot of work to do last week. Were you guys camped out by KGB on Saturday when the bike race was going on? Did you guys get trapped by the event?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No worries.

The trip kicked ass! The rain, while a pain, was great for trail conditions as you would know. Yes, we were out below KGB. No issues with the race at all as we avoided those trails that day. Just a bunch of uppity up attitude when they were pre-riding.

Rode up KGB/GS/CIA/Storm King/Down Whoops/Ben's/MTB. Up Kent's/Phil's/300/310, down Phil's Thursday.
    Rode KGB/White Road/River trail to Dillon, Storm King to COD/ELV/GS/KGB Friday.
    Rode KGB/Phil's/300/Lwr Whoops up/down,up 310, Skyliners. Up 4601/Mrazek/connectors jump line Saturday. (Heidi Faller joined us for the ride as her husband, Josh, was racing. We were also joined by "Kate" who races for the Bend Bella Team for a while too.
    Gray Butte from the Skull Hollow CG yesterday.
    110 miles of smooth singletrack bliss. Now back to wet roots and rocky goodness up here...

Hopefully, I can get some pics up. One of our group at it big on that last hump on Mrazek and her face was covered in dust....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

It was fun but...

We rode this trail today for the first time - never managed to ride this one during our previous trips to Bend. The single track was super fun.

Unfortunately, we felt like we hadn't done enough climbing this year so we decided to grunt our way up to the top of Gray Butte. The climb up the road is definitely tough - especially for this early in the cycling summer for me. Here's a pic of my wife grunting out the last bit
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good on ya for making that climb up to the top. When I'm with a group nobody else wants to make that climb, but the view is to die for! (OK, not literally)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good for her!

I've been there twice now and never have climbed to the top. Seemed pretty pointless after the Burma Road. But, it sure is a nice couple hours on the way out of town for something different and the bomber down Skull Hollow is always fun. Especially dodging cows.....