mtbr member

govt shut lets poach some pct

how bout it, lets hear about your poaching adventures!
    all hypothetical of course

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Boooooooooooooooooo.

mtbr member
    I poached an egg for breakfast this morning.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    how bout it, lets hear about your poaching adventures!
    all hypothetical of course
    When I ride the PCT in my dreams I get assaulted with organic granola and carbon fiber hiking poles.

mtbr member
    The PCT down near Crater Lake is some of the SICKEST singletrack on the planet... not that I would know from direct experience or anything .

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I accidentally rode some PCT on the edge of Timothy Lake. I couldn't help it.

mtbr member
    According to Strava, this is a popular section of PCT

Strava Segment | Pacific Crest Trail Climb

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This reminds me of a story a friend told me about some guys who decided to ride down into the Grand Canyon during the last gubmint shut down in 95.

Sounded like a good idea until they ran into a park ranger and got arrested.

Nat
    Solo contendre

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Law enforcement rangers are considered to be "essential" employees and are still on the job. Just thought that you would want to know...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    According to Strava, this is a popular section of PCT

Strava Segment | Pacific Crest Trail Climb
    Not PCT from the looks of it, but rather Maiden Peak trail (legal cycling trail). It does cross PCT about a 1/3 of the way up (PCT goes perpendicular to peak trail). I just rode this for first time a couple of weeks ago for about 1.5 hr non-stop grind for only 10 min descent back to stream. Pretty trail and area, but a little too much work for the return, IMO.

BTW, I am all for PCT for all to enjoy. Hiking boots/poles/sticks, horse hooves, but no little rubber tires generated by human power on a bicycle allowed is totally preposterous. Time to take the trails back!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Glass tilted to that. Especially for pedal your own adventures! Unfortunately, the power of numbers/ and threat of Shuttlegypsies, will discourage any new pristine 1 track from being designated; "legal to mtb'ers".
    For example look at the nice plasticized oak ridge bike map. All the suggested rides on there are "shuttle rides". Too many people are taking the lazy way out and it adds to the trail use/erosion/conflict and reputation substantially. Nobody wants to accept this either. You aren't entitled to ****. Earn it. Well except right now. Illegal trails are yours for the taking. Including Shuttlegypsies!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    Glass tilted to that. Especially for pedal your own adventures! Unfortunately, the power of numbers/ and threat of Shuttlegypsies, will discourage any new pristine 1 track from being designated; "legal to mtb'ers".
    For example look at the nice plasticized oak ridge bike map. All the suggested rides on there are "shuttle rides". Too many people are taking the lazy way out and it adds to the trail use/erosion/conflict and reputation substantially. Nobody wants to accept this either. You aren't entitled to ****. Earn it. Well except right now. Illegal trails are yours for the taking. Including Shuttlegypsies!
    Well everything at Oakridge includes climbing on the descent as well. I did Alpine/Tire/Cloverpatch/Alpine (ATCA) a couple of weeks ago with drop-off up top from Randy (Mt. Bike Adventures) at "Kate's Cut-In" and the ride in total just wouldn't been as good with the 17 mile fireroad climb to the top. The loop with shuttle drop-off still affords 4600ft of total climb for almost 8k' of descent! Grind the road if you will, but I will always take the drop-off at Oakridge if available (Hardesty/Lawler, Moon Point, Larison Rock to name a few). Long, fireroad climbs are too boring. If it was all trail up, would be a different story though much like I do around here on a regular basis. So, I disagree with "Shuttlegypsies" killing trail access, especially at a place like Oakridge where you only typically do one run through anyways with lots of climbing on the descent as well. And Oakridge doesn't have any problems with trail access, much like Deschutes NF as well, but more of very active communtiy in support of mtb trail access in total with no Sierra Club and BARK to cause conflict, much like the PDX/Mt. Hood area. Maybe the perception of "Shuttlegypsies" romping down the trails in backcountry cause riff by other non-users, but in reality most hardcore shuttlers aren't on those trails, but spend their time at Thrillium/Cold Creek, Raven's Ridge, etc.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Boo on you... as long as horsies are allowed this is nothing less than pathetic.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I keep dreaming of the section from Crest Camp to Panther Creek. Be a pretty good climb over Huckleberry Mountain but then what a ripping descent!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I will keep living the dream... btw, really easy climb. SSPD easy... Nobody should "feel" guilty when they ride through at least two clear cuts with several road crossings.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Boo on you... as long as horsies are allowed this is nothing less than pathetic.
    Well said!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Metalheadbikerider
    My family stayed at a lake outside of Ashland a couple Summers ago. I asked the good folks at the local bar where I could ride the mountain bike. They pointed me to the PCT. I rode it until I came to a PCT sign, and then turned back. It was fun, but overgrown and in need of some work. It's silly that mtb'ers are not allowed. It's like kindergartners in the toy corner. Hell, make that pre-schoolers. Kindergartners know how to share.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Nat
    Solo contendre
    When it comes to outdoor recreation I think segregation is actually a good thing. While you might want to poach the PCT, would you all be cool with it if equestrians, motos, and quads took this opportunity to poach our bike trails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Horses weigh 1000lbs+ with top speeds between 35 - 55mph. If a horse is allowed on a trail why not a mtn bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    When it comes to outdoor recreation I think segregation is actually a good thing. While you might want to poach the PCT, would you all be cool with it if equestrians, motos, and quads took this opportunity to poach our bike trails?
    My local trail network has a number of trails that are "shared" with motos and quads. Unbelievable how they chew up a trail. Unrideable.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    The Sedona 's 5's Excellent Adventure - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

I was attending school in Flagstaff in 1996 when the Sedona 5 dropped into the Grand Canyon during a government shutdown. A word to the wise...

mtbr member
    I agree that trail use segregation can be a good thing so long as we get the chance to build. Unfortunately its on us to lobby authorities for the right. Fortunately the law affords us the right change the law and create an environment where mtb is accepted as a legitimate trail use. Unfortunately we (I) are all too busy riding and too lazy and/or pessimistic to take matters into our own hands. I think we need to embrace the Sierra Club's ethics. Convince them that we hold the same, or at least similar values when it comes to the environment and show them that we can be a asset instead of an adversary. Mostly we need to be actively, physically involved if we are going to be taken seriously.