I just wanna ride my bike

Goods in the Hood TR (mid-May)

I finally got round to my blog post on a long weekend trip to Hood River in mid/late May: InaBits: Goods in the Hood

Goods in the Hood TR (mid-May)-mt-hood-bike-vk.jpg

Thank you to all of you who provided trail updates and recommendations and suggestions for the best places to eat and drink on this older thread:
    trails in hood river/white salmon area

We rode Whoop De Do for the first time - what a blast! Thank you to HRATS for all your work on that trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Enjoyed the write-up and the pictures. Funny - every time I end up at Full Sail it is because the line is too long at [insert name here].

Tactical Nightmare
    Great write up TheotherH! Most likely, I will be in that area with a couple of friends next weekend, and will be looking for a couple of these trails. We think we will half a day of riding, so while we won't be able to ride multiple days, or even a full day, we want to try and focus our ride on the best of the best that Hood River has to offer.

I would love to hear thoughts from anyone familar with the area that could recommend the trails we should be sure to hit. Your write up mentions a few trails, and while we would love to hit them all, we will only have a half a day to ride in that area.

We are used to riding here in the Mac Forest near Corvallis, OR., and can handle most terrain.....at least we think so. We aren't looking for large drops, jumps or the like, but a technical single track is right up our alley. Especially with the views many of your pictures showed.

Again, thanks for the write up! It is certainly an asset to this forum, and a great resource.
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you have two cars and can shuttle, Knebal Springs down to Dog River is a great ride and can be done in 1/2 a day. Did that one this weekend. Almost all single track. Opinions may differ, but I prefer to ride Knebal counter clockwise.

If you are staying in Hood River itself, Post Canyon is great because it is so close. And you can ride it is long or as short as you want. You really, really need a good map though. The only good map is the local one produced by the motorcycle riders -- you can download a copy from the HRATS website: Hood River Area Trail Stewards (HRATS) | an International Mountain Biking Association Chapter

My favorite ride there is to go up Seven Streams to 8 Track to the Boot to Twin Peaks, then back via 8 Track to GP to Charlies Trail to Spaghetti Factory to Mitchell Ridge. Almost all singletrack. Most of those segments are relatively short, so you could do that in 1/2 a day. But like I said, you need a map.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice report!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Tactical Nightmare
    Wow, Hood River is amazing! I rode there yesterday with a few friends and we were so impressed with the quality of the trails and the pure selection of trails to ride. We were overwhelmed, and we are certain we didn't even scratch the surface of all that is available in Hood River. We had just a 1/2 day to play, and to truly experience all these trails, you would have to spend a fair amount of time there. This is something that we will certainly come back to do.

We stopped in at Mountain View Cycles in Hood River and spoke to one of the guys working and he was just awesome to chat with, and we purchased one of the new HRATS maps they had, and were happy to do so, as some of the proceeds go to trail management. The only thing we wish the map had, was trail names on the map, rather than just trail numbers. It worked out fine in the end, but we found ourselves pulling the map out often as we can to a junction to figure out which direction to go.

All the other riders we encountered were extremely helpful and nice, and pointed us in the direction of trails that were good to ride. Certainly different than my neck of the woods where we have a mix of authorized and unauthorized trails, and some like to be coy with giving information out, forcing you to figure it out on your own.

All in all, a very fun day with great weather, incredible views, and superb trails. We will certainly be back when we can spend more time getting to know the layout. Thanks for the info and assistance!
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What did you ride?

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    What did you ride?
    Good question! We did all of 8 track to the top, played around at the Family Man staging area, Charley's Trail and Mitchell's Ridge, came down the 110 trail, and a couple others in there that we didn't figure out the name of. It is an area that would be good to ride with someone that knows the area, but there were enough people to give us some good leads. We wish we had time to ride down the Seven Stream trail to the parking area, which I think was the 100 and 101 trails. It looked really fun on the ride up with little rolling kickers all over the place. Not that I needed to get air per se, but being that they were rollable too, it certainly looked fun and like getting a little airborne would be easy. We rode up it, and it was a great ride up for sure, with breaks in the climbs that flattened out, or just meandered up the hill, that gave you a chance to catch your breath and the legs a break. A really helpful dad, with his son and wife (all on Giants, I might add!! ) was a great guy that on a couple of occasions pointed us to some great trails. We didn't catch his name, but we certainly would thank him for his help.

We all had a bit of a tough time getting used to the moon-dust on the trails. I'm sure after riding it for a while it would be be better, and by the end of the day we began to get the hang of it. But for us Willamette Valley guys, the dirt was so different than what we are used to. Traction was interesting, and each of had a wash out or two as we railed corners.

The cool thing about the area is that it is relatively compact, in the sense that you aren't riding a lot of miles to get to great trails. If you spent a day in that Post Canyon area, you could tackle a number of really cool trails, and even session the ones that you really liked. It truly is a network for sure.

I will also say that Hood River is a great little town too. A couple of us are married guys, but one buddy in particular, is single. We started telling him he needs to get there much more often, as we saw so many ladies out riding, that it blew us away! I don't mean to sound like a dirty old man (hell, I'm only 39!), but for our friend that is a great guy and single, and an avid mountain biker, it would be an awesome place to meet like-minded women. I think he will be back sooner than the rest of us will.
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the response. I was curious since the Post Canyon area can be a bit confusing. Sounds like a great time... it is nice to see the ladies out there tearin' it up too!