mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good tire for MBO?

What do you guys like to run up there? I did MBO last year and had good luck with 2.5" blue groove stick-e up front and a WTB 2.4 motoraptor in back.

I need to replace my WTB as its got a pretty good gash from the local rocks here. I'm currently in love w/ my blue groove so gonna keep that tire on.

The guides last year were on quite a bit smaller tire(d) bikes but I like the big tires as I can use them down here in norcal too.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

-Sp

DOD Member
    Lots of different tires roll up here. You won't get a consensus. I am running IRC Mythos 2.1 on my SS. 2.25 Nobby Nics on my squish. I tore sidewalls out on a couple Nics in the past, so I am trying the Snakeskin version (as soon as I get them mounted). The traction from both these tires is great for summer riding in Oakridge.

I think we tend to run a smaller tire because the trails tend to involve a lot of climbing, and a lighter tire is appreciated. Also, boulder gardens are few and the bigger volume tires aren't needed as much as other parts of the world. imho.

Bigger people need bigger tires too. Right bRock!

Small block 8's and big ol DH tires will be seen rolling at MBO and the riders will all be grinning.

Your Groove and Raptor combo will work just fine too!
    MaxSteel

Known Mountainbiker
    max....tsk tsk tsk

Several of the MBO guides and DODers are running Schwalbes. Either the Nobby Nics or Racing Ralphs. Then it just depends on whether you like big nobs or little nobs or 2.4 or 2.2. Me...2.4 Nobby Nics on a SS

The trails are running super sweet all around the area and we did get a little rain this past weekend so I'm sure they'll be great. You're spending money for MBO, you might as well get a good set of rubber on.

See ya there!

Caz

(my work is done here)

I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Making fat cool since '71
    Since Max called my name (nothing new)...

I currently have 2.35 BlueGroove on the front and 2.35 Nev rear (both stickE) on my SS. 2.2 Continental Rubber Queen on my RFX. They roll pretty fast and have good traction. They are not huge, but they have good volume for a "2.2" tire. I prefer my Maxxis Ardent tires on the RFX, but I have the 2.4 DH casing and holy sh!t those things are heavy for a not huge tire so I'll probably will leave them off for MBO weekend. You never know though knowing me. I love the Ardent's cornering traction and sidewall strength and volume...'cuz as Max hinted at: I'm large.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    thanks for the input guys. seems like round profile tire so far.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    max....tsk tsk tsk

Several of the MBO guides and DODers are running Schwalbes. Either the Nobby Nics or Racing Ralphs. Then it just depends on whether you like big nobs or little nobs or 2.4 or 2.2. Me...2.4 Nobby Nics on a SS

The trails are running super sweet all around the area and we did get a little rain this past weekend so I'm sure they'll be great. You're spending money for MBO, you might as well get a good set of rubber on.

See ya there!

Caz

(my work is done here)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    thanks for the input guys. seems like round profile tire so far.

-Sp
    A Kenda Excavator would work well, and should do the job at home, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common