mtbr member
    May 2006

good place to camp and ride?

my kids and I want to camp on the coast and bring our mtn bikes. any suggestions? what about oswald west state park or nehalem bay SP? also are there any easy mtn bike trails around there? what about cape falcon trail? thanks.
    Last edited by updownride; 05-18-2006 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ok- since nobody knows about the coast, how about the other direction, say hood river area?(actually intrested in both!) thanks.

mtbr member

Central Coast Riding

The central coast has some good variety. Near Florence and in order of difficulty, Sutton Lake Trail just north of town, easy only about 3-4 miles long if you ride from Sutton Lake boat launch toward the beach smooth singletrack some sand. Siltcoos Trail south of town again smooth singletrack a little more hill climbing about four miles, beautiful forest ride with a lake and picnic area at the apex of the ride (we do loops back and forth to make the ride longer). Cape Mt(horse trails) north of Florence, 17 miles of singletrack trails, beautiful ocean views, you start at the top so whatever elevation you lose you gotta climb back up, I recommend starting at Dry Lake Trailhead then head out Scurvey Ridge to Blue Horizon loop, or if you really like climbing head down to Berry Creek, good signage so you can't get lost. Finally the Is the Cummins Creek trail at Cape Perpetua, Park at the visitors center and ride up the road (5 miles) to the parking lot where the trail starts then it down hill all the way. There are some extras at Perpetua but you'll need a local rider to guide if you want to find them. Finding a local guide ain't hard, we love to ride. Let us know when you'll be in the area and we'll see if we can help you out.

Check out: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...bikeUserGroup/
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SingletrackCoast/

happy trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I'll second that...

I'll second that Jolly notion of the Horse Trails. I like that area, even though the trails are choppy in places (the name is a good hint). Nice semi-primitive camping options right at the trailheads. I want to get out there and get to one of those benches and enjoy a sunset over the Pacific, then night ride around there, camp, and do Cummins Creek and/or Siltcoos and/or some of the other trails around there the next day.

mtbr member
    How old are your kids? There are several lookout towers( can sleep on the ground too) that can be rented for like $10-15 a night and are right next to some nice trails, MRT has many campgrounds within 1/4mile or less of the trail. I guess we need more info - type of riding, type of camping, etc.

NAte
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for the info, the kids want to go to the coast so we'll check out some of those trails. we are going to camp at nehalem SP. it should be fun.